NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 306 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adderall and personality changes

LilacDay is a jewel in the roughLilacDay is a jewel in the roughLilacDay is a jewel in the roughLilacDay is a jewel in the roughLilacDay is a jewel in the roughLilacDay is a jewel in the roughLilacDay is a jewel in the rough

Default Adderall and personality changes

I have a question about Adderall. Does anyone have any experience with taking Adderall long term and experiencing any unusual personality changes? Anything that is different from when you first started taking it. I am asking not only for myself but also because I have a boss who has changed dramatically.

orangekorange will become famous soon enoughorangekorange will become famous soon enoughorangekorange will become famous soon enough

I have up close and personal experience with adderall...I have been treated for ADHD since the age of 8. (Back then the common treatment was Ritalin.) I have found that for me longer term use of the stimulants really aggravates certain OCD tendencies I have...and when OCD flares up so does my anger level. I have experienced some level of psychosis during my early twenties when I found myself not sleeping well. The older I become the more aware of warning signs i have become, thus talking to my DR. more often/openly.
    i have found that if I take short vacations from the drug with my dr's monitoring I can avoid many negative side effects and personality "changes."

3. I find that it gives me next day anxiety, so I try to be very careful with it and only take it when I have a large project coming up or something. Adderall can make me feel like absolute garbage the next day. Same with my wife.
    Helpful taralumia Rated helpful

lukedeg1 will become famous soon enough

Absolutely. Stimulants of any kind can really mess up your personality if abused long enough. be Careful.

sweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the rough

I only know a couple of people on ADHD meds, and in general, they are impossible when off their meds (they occasionally take "drug holidays"). At least with the daughter of a friend, she was off for a week and life was not happy. She slept all the time, did nothing, and was very irritable. I have no real knowledge of the situation, only what I was told by my friend. She claims (and her daughter also claims) that the medication is necessary, but is her behavior due to withdrawal or due to untreated ADHD? So, possibly, it does affect personality.
    Like BrainPharmer, RichardC liked this post

6. Sounds like they are just making excuses for being worthless and disrespectful. ADHD doesn't make you a dick.
    Like sweeteeze liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweeteeze View Post
    I only know a couple of people on ADHD meds, and in general, they are impossible when off their meds (they occasionally take "drug holidays"). At least with the daughter of a friend, she was off for a week and life was not happy. She slept all the time, did nothing, and was very irritable. I have no real knowledge of the situation, only what I was told by my friend. She claims (and her daughter also claims) that the medication is necessary, but is her behavior due to withdrawal or due to untreated ADHD? So, possibly, it does affect personality.
    It could be both causes.
    This is just one of the reasons why (for appropriately diagnosed ADD/ADHD conditions) patients should be careful about taking these so-called "drug holidays."
    I realize there are some doctors who suggest this but I have seen the exact results you describe occur when someone cycles on and off stimulants.
    Conversely, a person who is not using strong stimulants to treat attention disorders but using for other self-medicating reasons can often experience similar personality changes when on the drugs as opposed to off of them.
    Helpful Cash, sugarsnap, orangekorange Rated helpful

sweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the roughsweeteeze is a jewel in the rough

People before meds can have terrible personality problems. After meds, they can have terrible personality problems (but maybe the meds help them with impulse control so that it isn't so evident). Medications can only do as much as is there to be worked with, a terrible attitude can still be underneath all that medicated demeanor. Sweet E
    Helpful Gman, orangekorange Rated helpful

Gman is offline Banned Reason: Sent the administrator delerious PMs threatening to try to hack this site
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeteeze View Post
    People before meds can have terrible personality problems. After meds, they can have terrible personality problems (but maybe the meds help them with impulse control so that it isn't so evident). Medications can only do as much as is there to be worked with, a terrible attitude can still be underneath all that medicated demeanor. Sweet E
    @sweeteeze
    WADR...ADHD meds have helped to focus and organize somewhat, done nothing for impulse control..as evidendenced by some posts here on PR

Gman
    Like BrainPharmer liked this post

Kelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to allKelly15120 is a name known to all

UIt is very important to make a line between behavior and personality. add meds have not changed me but many of my behaviors...went through coaching etc. i am a very high strung person....off the charts extravert....but also very very passionate on what I do! The president of the buisness unit where I work asked if I was depressed....explained my change in behavior....he left me with don't loose you....just behaviors...meds hep with that....I will always be an ENFP
    Helpful BrainPharmer Rated helpful

drR has a spectacular aura aboutdrR has a spectacular aura aboutdrR has a spectacular aura aboutdrR has a spectacular aura aboutdrR has a spectacular aura aboutdrR has a spectacular aura about

it seems like its pretty easy to get a script of adderall these days, theres a bunch of kids on it
    i just wonder what the long term effect of taking it is? especially if you ever wanna get off it, im sure your energy level would go out the window

12. Safety tip: take Adderall before you drink tonight. The amphetamines will make you more sociable and allow you to drink way more!

@LilacDay

I like to play chess competitively. Before a tournament a while back, I asked a friend of mine for a few Adderall for its focusing properties. It didn't really improve my performance, though it did make me focus more. The unfortunate side effect was that it made me angry! I felt like I wanted to punch someone during the entire game, lol . I'm sure it affects people differently when dealing with actual ADHD problems, but this seems like a dangerous drug to take long term for anyone.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 03-09-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    - "It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything."

Quote Originally Posted by HustleCrowe View Post
    Safety tip: take Adderall before you drink tonight. The amphetamines will make you more sociable and allow you to drink way more!
    "Safety" tip?
    No disrespect but that is really terrible advice.
    Helpful Gman Rated helpful
    Like Gadget, orangekorange liked this post

Bungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to beholdBungalobill is a splendid one to behold

I've taken stimulants (prescribed) for adult adhd for some time. My prescribing doc for adhd never put me on adderall. He didn't like prescribing it to adults. A little less than a year ago I went through an overnight sleep study and later a multi latency sleep test and was diagnosed with narcolepsy. I've been on a fairly decent dosage of that every day.

We tend to be poor self observers so I asked some of those close to me what differences they noticed. I was irritable initially but that wore off. Most of the feedback I got indicated that I simply seemed more alert and dialed in to the moment - which by and large are good things.

Med vacations or days off are good. I can tell when I start building a tolerance for it. On my 'days off' - I tend to nap - not for long - 20 to 25 minutes does it - once in the morning and once in the afternoon. On the ADHD side, any med is going to do only so much .. there HAS to be behavioral changes, changes in habits, and maybe changes in a persons thought patterns. A person has to be commited to helping themselves.

Oh - and one of the downsides of being prescribed adderall - is it's getting hard to find - at least where I live - which is a decent sized town with other decent sized towns nearby. Sometimes I have to call a number of places to find someone who has it - and takes my insurance. I also understand Big Brother is watching the adderall scripts (among others) fairly closely. I've had pharmacists treat me like a drug seeker - which I don't care for - part of me would like to explain to these people (I had a few other words in mind but we'll go with people) that adderall lost any recreational value a month after I started on it.

Soooo .. to make a short story long .. in my case adderall hasn't changed me much - but other people's mileage will vary. As an earlier poster alluded to, meds and adhd (or fill in the condition) get blamed for personality issues they didn't cause. I would suggest that many people being treated for adhd have some other underlying things going on and the adhd med gets blamed for the 'other underlying things' rearing their heads.

ALl of the above is simply the humble opinion of the gentleman sitting in seat 714 row 5280 way up in the cheap seats of life.
    Helpful sugarsnap, Gman Rated helpful
    Like sweeteeze liked this post
    We are the people our parents warned us about

This is the med taken by my niece, as I just recently discovered. She has no motivation, nor seems to think she needs any. Nothing you can tell her seems to offer her inspiration to better her life. What amazes me is neither of her parents are like this, and they are flummoxed by her. She is in her 30s, has a college degree, but just no ambition. She works PT in a bookstore. I know she was not overindulged as a kid. I am sure she was not abused. She just does not care. But she never cared before the Adderall either, so this is her personality. If anything, her mom told me that since being on Adderall, she has given up and accepts herself and doesn't seem to think anything is lacking in her life...it is everyone else who should get off her back and let her be. Maybe the Adderall does this, who knows?

I think she is just really scared to be independent. Not sure that Adderall will help with that...

Haley's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutHaley's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutHaley's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutHaley's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutHaley's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutHaley's Mom has a spectacular aura about

I know for a fact the Sheriff in my county takes adderall and adipex! He is 70 years old and it has made him crazier than he was before he started taking it. I don''t know how he got a dr to prescribe this for him and I don't really care. I just worry about our county because he can't concentrate and his temper has gotten worse. It's bad when LE is abusing.

18. Quote Originally Posted by LilacDay View Post
    I have a question about Adderall. Does anyone have any experience with taking Adderall long term and experiencing any unusual personality changes? Anything that is different from when you first started taking it. I am asking not only for myself but also because I have a boss who has changed dramatically.
    @LilacDay

Today, there are multiple types of drugs dispersed by physicians for ADD/ADHD, many being of the stimulant variety. In my opinion, some people experience no change, while others experience drastic change. These changes can be anything from the user "opening up" (i.e. being less shy), to extreme aggressiveness (with some experiencing rage) over relatively small things.

Several of the people I know that are in fact diagnosed ADD or ADHD only take their medicine Monday-Friday (or whatever their standard work schedule may be). Some of these people, not all, are drastically different (behavior wise) when they are off adderal; some are not.

Other things to consider are:

How and when is the drug taken?

First thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with no accompanying food, in my opinion, leads to a different outcome than if the med is taken with food. No food = more jittery,agitated, etc.

Is the drug mixed with another stimulant, namely caffeine?

I've noticed, and again, this is just my opinion, that when stimulant type medications are taken in conjunction with caffeine (especially large amounts), there is a higher likelihood of a change in behavior, especially if the drug is taken on an empty stomach followed by an infusion of caffeine.

Bottom line: it really depends on the person and their "base" personality (if you will).

I will say, however, if you are close enough to someone in which they are comfortable enough with you to disclose the fact that they are indeed taking adderal, you are probably (hopefully) close enough to inquire about their method of taking the drug.

Who knows... Maybe they sense the difference, and would be open for suggestions.

Just my $.02.

And to really answer your question, I've found that longer term, one side effect may be reclusiveness. However, I think that has more to do with a persons "base" personality.

Best,
    TBM
    Helpful sugarsnap, orangekorange, Gman Rated helpful

19. I think it's really important not to use this as a social crutch. If you find yourself needing this drug in order to endure social events you're heading down the wrong path.
    Helpful Binky, Swizzlestick Rated helpful

orangekorange will become famous soon enoughorangekorange will become famous soon enoughorangekorange will become famous soon enough

I am really surprised that the word 'tolerance' hasn't really been addressed. I would like to clarify that when I mentioned taking a vacation now and then from my medication, I do so *only* under my actual doctor's suggestion and supervision, and do NOT think it is okay to take/not take any drug without the prescribing doc's o.k. i do appreciate @Walter Sobchak you bringing up stimulants not being used as a social crutch. I do think, however, how one functions socially is definately affected by a person actually having ADD/ADHD, thus making it harder to get a clear-cut diagnosis. Medical journal print that most all *real* ADHD cases pop-up in early childhood...BUT they also advertise cream that "makes you look 40 years younger"...so... In my opinion it all boils down to having a doctor that cares more about every patient's well-being than wanting repeat doctor appointments ($.)
    hoping everyone is hanging in there!
    orangekorange

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast