NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 532 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Some Stimulants

DrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura about

Post Some Stimulants

> Stimulants (also referred to as psychostimulants) are psychoactive drugs which induce temporary improvements in either mental
    or physical function or both. Examples of these kinds of effects may include enhanced alertness, wakefulness, and locomotion,
    among others. Due to their effects typically having an "up" quality to them, stimulants are also occasionally referred to
    as "uppers". Depressants or "downers", which decrease mental and/or physical function, are in stark contrast to stimulants
    and are considered to be their functional opposites. Stimulants are widely used throughout the world
    as prescription medicines and as illicit substances of recreational use or abuse!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Adderall is a psychostimulant medication that is used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy.
    Adderall consists of equivalent amounts of amphetamine aspartate, amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine saccharate,
    and dextroamphetamine sulfate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Amphetamine (USAN), Also called amfetamine (INN). It is a psychostimulant drug of the phenethylamine class that produces
    increased wakefulness and focus in association with decreased fatigue and appetite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Amfepramone (INN), other names diethylcathinone and diethylpropion, trade names Anorex, Linea, Nobesine, Prefamone, Regenon,
    Tepanil, Tenuate), is a stimulant drug of the phenethylamine, amphetamine, and cathinone chemical classes that is used as
    an appetite suppressant. Amfepramone is believed to have relatively low abuse potential.

Amfepramone is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance in the United States. In the UK Amfepramone is a class C drug.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Benzedrine is the trade name of the racemic mixture of amphetamine (dl-amphetamine). The drug was often referred to
    as "bennies" by users and in literature. It was marketed under this brand name in the USA by Smith, Kline and French
    in the form of inhalers, starting in 1933.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Benzphetamine (Didrex) is an anorectic drug marketed under this brand in the USA by Pharmacia.
    Benzphetamine is used as a short term adjunct in management of exogenous obesity.
    It is closely related to amphetamine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Clobenzorex (Asenlix, Dinintel, Finedal, Rexigen) is a stimulant drug of the phenethylamine and amphetamine chemical classes
    & used as an appetite suppressant.

The drug is legally distributed in Mexico under the trade name Asenlix by Aventis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Dextroamphetamine is a psychostimulant drug approved for the treatment of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy.

In the United States, an instant-release (IR) tablet preparation of the salt dextroamphetamine sulfate is no longer available
    under the brand names Dexedrine and Dextrostat, in 5 mg and 10 mg strengths, but only from Teva Pharmaceutical Industries,
    and as a capsule preparation of controlled-release (CR) dextroamphetamine sulfate, under the brand names
    Dexedrine SR and Dexedrine Spansule, in the strengths of 5 mg, 10 mg, and 15 mg.

A Yummy bubblegum flavored oral solution is available under the brand name ProCentra, manufactured by FSC Pediatrics,
    which is designed to be an easier method of administration in children who have difficulty swallowing tablets,
    each 5 mL contains 5 mg dextroamphetamine.

In Australia, dextroamphetamine is only available in bottles of 100 under the generic name dexamphetamine as
    5 mg instant release sulfate tablets. Similarly, in the United Kingdom it is only available in 5 mg instant release
    sulfate tablets under the generic name dexamfetamine sulphate having had been available under the brand name Dexedrine
    prior to UCB Pharma disinvesting the product to another pharmaceutical company.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Ephedrine is a sympathomimetic amine commonly used as a stimulant, appetite suppressant, concentration aid, decongestant,
    and to treat hypotension associated with anaesthesia.

Ephedrine is similar in molecular structure to the well-known drugs phenylpropanolamine and methamphetamine,
    as well as to the important neurotransmitter epinephrine (adrenalin). Chemically, it is an alkaloid with a phenethylamine skeleton
    found in various plants in the genus Ephedra (family Ephedraceae). It works mainly by increasing the activity of norepinephrine
    (noradrenalin) on adrenergic receptors. It is most usually marketed as the hydrochloride or sulfate salt.

A Few Worldwide Brands...

Cetradrine - Ephedrine HCL 30mg

Ephed -Ephedrine HCL 25mg Guaifenesin 250mg.

Kaizen - Ephedrine HCL 8mg.

Pharma - Ephedrine HCL Crystals.

Vasopro - Ephedrine HCL 25mg Guaifenesin 250mg.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Fenbutrazate (INN), also known as phenbutrazate (BAN), is a psychostimulant used as an appetite suppressant
    under the trade names Cafilon, Filon, and Sabacid in Europe, Japan, and Hong Kong.
    It is a derivative of phenmetrazine and may function as a prodrug to it similarly to phendimetrazine.
    It is not known to be a controlled substance anywhere in the world yet!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Fenethylline, also spelled phenethylline, is a synthetic prodrug used as a stimulant
    and marketed under the brand name Captagon.

Fenethylline was invented by Degussa AG in 1961 and used for around 25 years as a milder alternative to amphetamines.
    Despite no accepted FDA indication for fenethylline, it was used in applications such as treating "hyperkinetic children"
    (what would now be referred to as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and also less commonly for treating narcolepsy
    or as an antidepressant. One of the main advantages of fenethylline was that it does not tend to increase blood pressure
    to the same extent as amphetamines and so could be used in patients with cardiovascular conditions.

Fenethylline was considered to have fewer side effects and less potential for abuse than amphetamine.
    Nevertheless, fenethylline was listed in 1981 as a schedule I controlled substance in the US,
    and it became illegal in most countries in 1986 after being listed by the World Health Organization
    for international scheduling under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances, even though the actual incidence of
    fenethylline abuse was quite low.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Lisdexamfetamine dimesylate (L-lysine-D-amphetamine; sold as Vyvanse) is a psychostimulant prodrug of the phenethylamine
    and amphetamine chemical classes. Its molecular structure consists of dextro@mphetamine coupled with the essential
    amino acid L-lysine.The drug lisdexamfetamine dimesylate is the first prodrug of its kind. Studies conducted show
    that lisdexamfetamine dimesylate may have less abuse potential than d-amphetamine, and an abuse profile similar to
    diethylpropion at dosages that are FDA approved for treatment for ADHD.

> Mazindol (Mazanor, Sanorex) is a stimulant drug of the tetracyclic chemical class which is used as an anorectic.
    It was developed by Sandoz-Wander in the 1960s.

Mazindol is a sympathomimetic amine, which is similar to amphetamine. It stimulates the central nervous system,
    which increases heart rate and blood pressure, and decreases appetite. Sympathomimetic anoretics
    (appetite suppressants) are used in the short-term treatment of obesity

The recommended dosage is 2 mg per day for 90 days in patients with 40 kg of overweight or less,
    4 mg a day in patients with more of 50 kg of overweight, separated in two ingestion with a 12 hour window between
    each 2 mg dose.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Methamphetamine ( Desoxyn ), also known as metamfetamine (INN), methylamphetamine, and desoxyephedrine,
    is a psychostimulant of the phenethylamine and amphetamine class of psychoactive drugs.

In United States, Methamphetamine has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in treating ADHD and exogenous obesity
    (obesity originating from factors outside of the patient's control) in both adults and children.

Methamphetamine is a Schedule II drug in the United States and is sold under the name Desoxyn trademarked
    by the Danish pharmaceutical company Lundbeck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a psychostimulant drug approved for treatment of ADHD or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder,
    postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and narcolepsy.

Methylphenidate is produced in the United States, Mexico, Spain and Pakistan. Ritalin is also sold in Canada, Australia,
    the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and other European countries (although in much lower volumes than in the United States).

Other brands include Concerta, Methylin, and Daytrana, and generic forms, including Methylin, Metadate and Attenta are
    produced by numerous pharmaceutical companies throughout the world. In Belgium the product is sold under the name Rilatine
    and in Brazil, Portugal and Argentina as Ritalina. In Thailand, it is found under the name Hynidate.

The dextrorotary enantiomer of methylphenidate, known as dexmethylphenidate, is sold as a generic and under
    the brand names Focalin and Attenade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modafinil is an eugeroic drug. It is approved by the United States' Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of narcolepsy,
    shift work sleep disorder and excessive daytime sleepiness associated with obstructive sleep apnea.

Modafinil is sold under a wide variety of brand names world wide.

Alertec - Canada, Ecuador
    Carim - Colombia, Ecuador, Honduras, Uruguay
    Modalert - India (also Provake, Modapro, Modafil, Modvigil)
    Modasomil Austria, Switzerland
    Modavigil - Australia, New Zealand
    Modiodal - France, Denmark, Greece, Cyprus, Mexico, Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Norway, Turkey, Japan
    Provigil - Belgium, Ireland, Italy, South Korea, United Kingdom, United States
    Resotyl - Chile (also Mentix, Alertex, Zalux)
    Stavigile - Brazil
    Vigia - Colombia
    Vigicer - Argentina
    Vigil - Germany

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Pemoline is a stimulant drug of the oxazoline class. It was first synthesized in 1913 but its activity was not discovered
    until the 1930s. Under the names Betanamin, Cylert, Tradon, and Ceractiv it was used as a medication to treat
    attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. Under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances,
    it is a Schedule IV drug. It is no longer generally available in the United States. .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Phendimetrazine (Bontril, Adipost, Anorex-SR, Appecon, Melfiat, Obezine, Phendiet, Plegine, Prelu-2, Statobex)
    is a stimulant drug used as an appetite suppressant.

Phendimetrazine is as potent as amphetamine and is a Schedule III drug under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances.
    In the United States, phendimetrazine is a Schedule III controlled substance under the Uniform Controlled Substances Act of 1970.

According to the "List of psychotropic substances under international control", phendimetrazine is a Schedule IV controlled substance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Phenmetrazine (Preludin, PAL-592) is a stimulant drug that was previously used as an appetite suppressant,
    but has since been withdrawn from the market. It was initially replaced by its analogue phendimetrazine which
    functions as a prodrug to phenmetrazine, but now it is rarely prescribed, due to concerns of "abuse" and "addiction."

Phenmetrazine was taken by The Beatles early in their career.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Phentermine is a psychostimulant drug of the phenethylamine class,
    with pharmacology similar to amphetamine. It is used medically as an appetite suppressant.

WORLD-WIDE TRADE NAMES; Adipex P (immediate release), Adiphene (India), Anoxine-AM, Ionamin (slow-release resin, Australia,
    discontinued in the US), Duromine (slow-release resin, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa), Metermine (slow-release resin,
    Australia) Mirapront, Obephen, Obermin, Obestin-30, Oby-Trim, Phentremine, Phentrol, Phenterex, Phentromin, Pro-Fast SQ symia
    (with topiramate), Redusa, Panbesy, Phentermine Trenker, Obenix, Sinpet (MX), Supremin (PH), Suprenza (orally disintegrating tablet),
    Teramine, Umine (NZ), Weltmine (KP), Zantry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Everyone Found This Info Of Interest!

( sources... wiki, various oversea pharmacy sites, pdr. )
    "Ye Shall Know the Truth & the Truth Shall Make You Mad" { Aldous Huxley }

I gave ya helpful even tho i dont like stimulants Its helpful to know which are so i can avoid them at all costs
    Like Brak liked this post

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

Yea I don't dig stimulants either, I'm prescribed adderall but I don't take it because I don't need anymore drugs yo be dependent on. I often wonder if it would help me because I have been diagnosed with ADD and most everyone that knows me thought I hsd it my whole life just undiagnosed. My shrink told me that its very common for addicts to have ADD and be undiagnosed, whether that's true or not who knows but I also read that in a medical magazine while in another doctor waiting room.

Anyway very helpful post.

@DrWho, this is very helpful information and much appreciated. My girlfriend is prescribed Focalin but she has these terrible afternoon crashes. At one time, she was taking Ritalin and had great success but she mentioned that she had a bit of a letdown as it wore off. Of course, the Doctor tried to correct this with a time-release replacement drug (Focalin) but the relatively minor letdowns have been replaced by severe crashes, to the point where she nearly falls asleep behind the wheel driving home.

We've tried to solve this by using Sam-e or Rhodiola in the a.m. so that she can take the Focalin later in the day. That way she can shift her crashes to the night time and fall asleep more easily. Inability to sleep, apnea, and that reflex jerking thing that I can't remember the name of are all big problems for her. Our little experiment has had mixed results. At first she felt it was not working and she would still wanted to take the Focalin by mid-morning, but she was able to hold off until early afternoon. Then she stopped the Sam-e, Rhodiola, and all supplements. She wants to go back to the Sam-e, maybe at higher doses. In retrospect she sees that it seemed to help her somehow.

I wonder if she could just go back to Ritalin, because it really worked for her. But doctors hate to prescribe it, it seems. Her script goes back to 2008...

I stay away from this as if I take them I am not able to sleep. My doctor said that would pass after a week or so but after two months on them and only getting an hour of sleep a night I stopped. These are not help for me.

DrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura aboutDrWho has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by wjones3044 View Post
    @DrWho, this is very helpful information and much appreciated. My girlfriend is prescribed Focalin but she has these terrible afternoon crashes. At one time, she was taking Ritalin and had great success but she mentioned that she had a bit of a letdown as it wore off. Of course, the Doctor tried to correct this with a time-release replacement drug (Focalin) but the relatively minor letdowns have been replaced by severe crashes, to the point where she nearly falls asleep behind the wheel driving home.

We've tried to solve this by using Sam-e or Rhodiola in the a.m. so that she can take the Focalin later in the day. That way she can shift her crashes to the night time and fall asleep more easily. Inability to sleep, apnea, and that reflex jerking thing that I can't remember the name of are all big problems for her. Our little experiment has had mixed results. At first she felt it was not working and she would still wanted to take the Focalin by mid-morning, but she was able to hold off until early afternoon. Then she stopped the Sam-e, Rhodiola, and all supplements. She wants to go back to the Sam-e, maybe at higher doses. In retrospect she sees that it seemed to help her somehow.

I wonder if she could just go back to Ritalin, because it really worked for her. But doctors hate to prescribe it, it seems. Her script goes back to 2008...
    Most People seem to prefer Ritalin! It works well & has been used for years & years! Cylert was a good substitute, it was less potent and caused less crash
    ( a friend of mine took it for many years ) but it was taken off the market in U.S.

I Don't know much about Focalin, from what I've read just now, it seems to be a stronger form of Ritalin, which would explain the harder "crash."

Guess I missed it when putting list together, So...

> Dexmethylphenidate, otherwise known as d-threo-methylphenidate (D-TMP), is the dextrorotatory enantiomer of methylphenidate. It is a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) and releasing agent and thus a psychostimulant, which affects the CNS. Dexmethylphenidate is sold as Focalin by Novartis,
    as Attenade by Celgene and as a generic drug by Teva.

Last edited by DrWho; 05-24-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Helpful GeorgeTirebiter Rated helpful
    "Ye Shall Know the Truth & the Truth Shall Make You Mad" { Aldous Huxley }

I understood that Focalin was a timed release formula. Personally I don't know anything about it, other than that it doesn't work for her. Ritalin is effective. I suppose I could do some research and look up Ritalin's addictiveness, but I suspect I'd rather not know...

Focalin is not an extended-release medication. It is a reformulated version of Ritalin (methylphenidate) that can be prescribed at approximately one-half the daily dosage of Ritalin.
    Focalin XR is the extended-release version also typically prescribed at one-half the recommended daily doses of extended-release Ritalin LA or Concerta.
    All of these stimulant drugs have a potential for abuse and addiction especially when used by someone who has not been appropriately diagnosed with narcolepsy, ADD/ADHD or other attention disorders.
    I have not seen a particular reluctance among psychiatrists to treat patients with IR Ritalin diagnosed with these conditions.
    Also, I would disagree that Cylert was generally considered to be a good substitute for methylphenidate based on the feedback I've heard from doctors who prescribed it.
    Last edited by alumni; 05-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.

FrankieD will become famous soon enoughFrankieD will become famous soon enoughFrankieD will become famous soon enoughFrankieD will become famous soon enough

I have always loved stimulants; a few of them have not loved me back! The White Lady, in particular, turned out to be a deceitful plaything. On the whole, I'd rather be "fast and furious", than sitting on a sofa nodding. Anybody recall 'Lude parties of the 70s.?... if not just think of old films that depict chinese opium dens, everyone crashed out on the floor or sofas, drooling. Once in awhile some-one stirs, raises his head in slo-mo, and sputters, "this party is F!@KING A! " and then sinks down again....

Yup, Give me biphetamine anyday. Or at least a ready supply of ephedrine hcl!

Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    Focalin is not an extended-release medication. It is a reformulated version of Ritalin (methylphenidate) that can be prescribed at approximately one-half the daily dosage of Ritalin.
    Focalin XR is the extended-release version also typically prescribed at one-half the recommended daily doses of extended-release Ritalin LA or Concerta.
    All of these stimulant drugs have a potential for abuse and addiction especially when used by someone who has not been appropriately diagnosed with narcolepsy, ADD/ADHD or other attention disorders.
    I have not seen a particular reluctance among psychiatrists to treat patients with IR Ritalin diagnosed with these conditions.
    Also, I would disagree that Cylert was generally considered to be a good substitute for methylphenidate based on the feedback I've heard from doctors who prescribed it.
    Good post. Thanks for the clarification. I saw the XR and assumed that it was part of the "regular" Focalin name. She is on the XR, extended release, per doctor's script. I'm also conflating information from another source--my ex-wife. She was on the stuff, but her doc didn't like that she wanted to up the dosage. He cut her off and put her on something else.

Unrelated--why are my women on more drugs than me? (Don't answer that...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SamadhiSuigeneris View Post
    I have always loved stimulants; a few of them have not loved me back! The White Lady, in particular, turned out to be a deceitful plaything. On the whole, I'd rather be "fast and furious", than sitting on a sofa nodding. Anybody recall 'Lude parties of the 70s.?... if not just think of old films that depict chinese opium dens, everyone crashed out on the floor or sofas, drooling. Once in awhile some-one stirs, raises his head in slo-mo, and sputters, "this party is F!@KING A! " and then sinks down again....

Ephedrine HCl is a great drug, in my opinion. I got ahold of some years ago when I had hives. Not only did it knock out the hives it got me cleaning the whole house and proposing new mechanisms for re-inventing myself. Turns out that none of the latter actually happened, but the house was really, really clean.
    Helpful Brak Rated helpful

11. Quote Originally Posted by SamadhiSuigeneris View Post

Here, here! I've taken ephedrine for years. It's become so hard to find in the US in recent years, even via IOPs (no thanks to western union). I landed on this post because, in my experience, ephedrine has become far too regulated. I'll need to find a new alternative. Thank you Dr. Who, for the information.

Kfer has a spectacular aura aboutKfer has a spectacular aura aboutKfer has a spectacular aura aboutKfer has a spectacular aura aboutKfer has a spectacular aura aboutKfer has a spectacular aura aboutKfer has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by wjones3044 View Post
    In the US Ritalin is high on the DEA watch list because "straight" methylphenidate is widely abused due to ease of administration using other routes than oral. Nasal, rectal or IV use of Ritalin has very potent effects leading to quick addiction and widespread trafficking, that's why doctors are 'encouraged' to use alternative formulations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goldielucks View Post
    Here, here! I've taken ephedrine for years. It's become so hard to find in the US in recent years, even via IOPs (no thanks to western union). I landed on this post because, in my experience, ephedrine has become far too regulated. I'll need to find a new alternative. Thank you Dr. Who, for the information.
    I don't get this. Both ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are very easy to come by in Canada, due to complaints pharmacies were receiving about the alternate decongestants: they don't work. Pharmacists obligingly put the stuff back on the shelves and no there was no sudden explosion of meth use as a result.
    Helpful GeorgeTirebiter Rated helpful

13. Quote Originally Posted by Kfer View Post
    In the US Ritalin is high on the DEA watch list because "straight" methylphenidate is widely abused due to ease of administration using other routes than oral. Nasal, rectal or IV use of Ritalin has very potent effects leading to quick addiction and widespread trafficking, that's why doctors are 'encouraged' to use alternative formulations.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get this. Both ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are very easy to come by in Canada, due to complaints pharmacies were receiving about the alternate decongestants: they don't work. Pharmacists obligingly put the stuff back on the shelves and no there was no sudden explosion of meth use as a result.
    I'm moving to Canada...
    Like Lioness #1, Kfer liked this post