NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 472 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: The Natural Alternative to Modafinil

Default The Natural Alternative to Modafinil

I have used modafinil off and on for a few years. And sometimes for financial reasons, other times for reasons of supply, still other times for reasons of general health, I have explored alternative methods.

After 3 years of research, here is what I have dialed in on as a good over the counter, 100% natural alternative that is almost as good as modafinil for mental clarity, energy, and mood elevation.

Here are the ingredients:

3,000mg L-Tyrosine
    3,000mg L-Phenylalanine
    2,000mg L-Taurine [optional/unnecessary, unless you experience anxiousness with the rest]
    200mg L-Theanine
    200% RDA B-vitamins [all of them (B-1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 12 in liquid form sublingually)
    to assist in the blood-brain barrier transport of the amino acids].
    200mg Caffeine

Best to take on an empty stomach or with aloe vera juice [helps absorption
    of these substances into your blood stream].

You can get all of it at a Vitamin Shoppe online or at their BM locations or
    at Amazon.

Personally, I buy them on Amazon because they are less expensive
    for the same brands--and there is a broader selection of brands--and I have
    free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime.

If you dabble with this, know that these are doses for my body. I am 6" and 225 lbs.
    You may want to cut the dosages in half to begin with and increase by 500mg until you
    experience the desired effect.

Here is the breakdown:

Tyrosine is a stimulant and a neurotransmitter assistant of sorts, so it
    will give you energy as well as increase dopamine in your system. So it is
    a bit of a mood elevator. Phenylalanine is a precursor, and is complementary,
    but you want to take them both for maximum effect.

And remember, these are just proteins [aminos are proteins in their building-block
    form] so they are not "stimulants" in the sense that caffeine is a stimulant].

Taurine [optional] helps to smooth the above out so you have sustained energy,
    but without any anxiety. It also helps with blood pressure and the
    immune system, but that is another matter.

Theanine does something very interesting, it regulates the release of caffeine
    into your system, so I take it before coffee or tea, and it only allows so
    much to hit your adrenals at once, and therefore gives you a sustained,
    longer lasting, caffeine high without the jitters or crash of caffeine if
    you happen to overdo it.

Anyway, this all acts to be the ultimate cognitive function elevator, mood improver,
    and alertness/energy cocktail.

Feel free to adjust not just the dosages, but the ratios, as everyone's brain
    chemistry is a bit different, and all of these substances are acting directly on brain
    chemistry.

Important note:

If you are on any selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors [SSRIs] you
    will want to do your own research and/or consult the attending/prescribing
    Dr before taking these.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jtothem; 05-21-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: combined paragraphs and corrected an error
    Like GeorgeTirebiter liked this post

2. If this works I will be forever in your debt. Dosages and chemicals are fickle, though. I find that one must arrive at one's own sweet spot but your formulation is worth a shot. Insuranc refused my girfriend's script for Modafinil...

COSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond reputeCOSGringo has a reputation beyond repute

There are a ton of nootropics out there.

I use a choline/inositol powder I blend. It helps but it's not moda sub.

The above sounds close to a ton of supplements I've seen and taken. I've had all those supplements at one point including many of those combinations. Not a huge fan of caffeine.

I still prefer nootropics to that arrangement. Shoot some energy drinks have a lot of those ingredients.

Here's a mood up lift one that has most of those elements but in different doses - Source Naturals :: St. John's Positive Thoughts?
    "If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards."

FrankieD will become famous soon enoughFrankieD will become famous soon enoughFrankieD will become famous soon enoughFrankieD will become famous soon enough

@jtothem Appreciate you giving your height and weight... often I read personal experiences (here and other websites) and the posts simply don't provide enough information to allow me to figure out a reasonable dose for me. With a bit of flavored selzter water and your list of ingrediants you have essentially out-bulled Red Bull, and saved about a dollar off of every 8 ounce serving...
    As Will Smith said to the police captain (in Hancock) "GOOD JOB"!
    Like COSGringo liked this post

Thanks, @SamadhiSuigeneris .

There is also a serious downside to energy drinks: they all contain artificial sweeteners which, in large quantities (and over time) have a deleterious effect on your nervous system and cognitive function. Sucralose is just as bad as aspartame. Stevia is really the only one (well, or Xylitol but it is not commonly used) that is natural and not harmful over time.

Even many supplemental companies use trace amounts in their capsules, so I empty them out into a protein shake or something. If you are taking 15+ capsules a day, it adds up and can accumulate in your system. There are only two brands I've found that don't use heavy metals in their hard coatings (titanium) and/or aspartame et al, in their soft coatings and they are: NOW brand and the brand Standard Process, but Standard Process does not have a very large catalog.

You can also find pure crystalline L-Phenylalanine in bulk on Amazon.

Cheers!
    Like COSGringo liked this post

Humbleweed has a spectacular aura aboutHumbleweed has a spectacular aura aboutHumbleweed has a spectacular aura aboutHumbleweed has a spectacular aura aboutHumbleweed has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by wjones3044 View Post
    If this works I will be forever in your debt. Dosages and chemicals are fickle, though. I find that one must arrive at one's own sweet spot but your formulation is worth a shot. Insuranc refused my girfriend's script for Modafinil...
    Did this work for you?

I've spent almost 10 years researching Modafinil replacements (non-prescription). I started based on expense (I was buying the branded stuff back then) plus I developed the usual skin rashes and also a persistent sore throat.

Don't worry too much if you are reading this - I was taking up to 1.2g/day - which is way over the recommended max of 400mg. I built up a tolerance after several years use. The rash and sore throat went away when I took a break.

I'm adding sulbutiamine to my latest stack and I've purposefully read as many negative reviews as I could to try and negate any placebo effect.

Kind regards.
    Helpful GeorgeTirebiter Rated helpful
    My hobby is "Self-Lobotomy for Dummies". Now I'm happy and I don't know it.

7. @Socrates , I have a sample pack of Modafinil (or Provigil, I think it's called) on order. Counting down the days until it arrives...