Thread: Wellbutrin Vs Adderall

Samelife761 is offline Junior Member

Default Wellbutrin Vs Adderall

Okay, I have a question in the differences of Wellbutrin and Adderall. I know wellbutrin is an antidepressant and Adderall is for ADD. But don't both of them have very similar actions? Both raise dopamine and norepinephrine levels.

Currently I am on Prozac, and Wellbutrin. But the Wellbutrin is giving me weird "itchy" feeling that is downright annoying and I can't take it anymore. Wellbutrin makes me feel good and gives me more energy, so I need it, but can't stand the side effects. So I want to switch to something SIMILAR to it. Is Adderall similar enough?

My problem are:
    ----Depression/possible OCD (which is why im on prozac)
    ----Lack of Energy and fatigue. Hard to wake up in morning. I can sleep 12+ hours, which isn't good. (which wellbutrin helps with a little. But I think Adderall gives you energy, too)
    ----concentration problems. Pretty big ones. I don't know if it's ADD or not. I never went to the doctor to check. I kind of didn't want to. But now I'm finallly forcing myself to get help. But in school, I just dazed off 99% of the time, never could focus or pay attention, my mind was always wandering.. Now I want to go back to school, but it's nearly impossible for me to focus and get stuff done.

Although I DO NOT want to feel sedated at all. Im not sure if Adderall does that or not. I need more energy, badly. I tried eating healthy, that doesn't even help. I'm gona ask my doctor what he thinks, but I like be more informed beforehand otherwise the doctors will just throw random meds at you.

letterstoheather is offline Junior Member

talk with your doctor anytime a medication isn't working well or causing you side effects. it's your body.

the doctor could make suggestions for different drugs... that is what they are there for.... doctors have to depend upon you to come back to them if there are issues with your meds, hon.

so yes, do it.

for more information do a search on Adderall. You will find a lot of websites with free information.

aly22autopsy is offline Member

First off, you should see a doctor about being tested for ADHD. I have not heard of adderall being used for anything other than ADHD and narcolepsy. Having once been on adderall xr, I can see how Wellbutrin can seem somewhat similar to adderall because wellbutrin is know to be slightly stimulating and is also used as an off-label treatment for ADHD. However, I do not think adderall is a treatment for depression. In fact, my doc. and I even considered putting me on an antidepressant while I was on adderall because of all the anxiety it caused me!

j0ec0714 is offline Member

aly is right about adderall giving you depression (my doc prescribed anti-depressant aswell) but i would get adderall vs. wellbutrin. Im in college and i get 2x more adys than i really need. Adys make me feel great, i have crazy energy and if i have any extras when i refill my next months script, i make a few dollars...yadiggg?

QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@Joec0714 "i make a few dollars" It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what your plan is for the extra adderall. This isn't really an appropriate place to publicly try and sell your medicine. And I would caution anyone thinking of purchasing from an individual rather than a professional organization---you're dealing with individuals, and individuals may not be as reliable as your regular vendor. I had to learn this lesson the hard way, as I have learned all my lessons.

Dbrent is offline Banned Reason: shilling for an email source

If wellbutrin makes you feel good, but the side effects are annoying, maybe its a dosage issue. However if its not, taking adderall or another amphetamine would not do you any good, because it does not help depression.

Yes they are similar in that theyboth affect dopamine and norepinephrine, but so do most psycho-active drugs. That doesnt mean that they are used for the same purposes. It just means they go about it in similar fashions.

QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@Dbrent They both affect norepinephrine and dopamine, but fundamentally the mechanism of action is different. Adderall causes your neurons to dump the neurotransmitter dopamine into the synaptic cleft, causing the euphoria. Wellbutrin doesn't do that. It's a dopamine/norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor. It prevents the sodium pumps from re-uptaking the already naturally occurring dopamine back into the neuron. It doesn't dump any dopamine at all into the synaptic cleft. That's why cocaine is so addictive---it causes massive amounts of dopamine to be dumped all at once into the cleft. And once it's depleted, you crash. In a normal system, the dopamine would be re-uptaken into the neuron to be stored for usage later.

Dbrent is offline Banned Reason: shilling for an email source

exactly what i was saying, even though they may both work at the same transmittor sites in the brain, they are far different in their mechanism of action. Most of the euphoric drugs work by imitating dopamine and causing its re-uptake to be inhibited thereby flooding the brain with pleasure (seemingly).
    Helpful QVC1212 Rated helpful

cosmofixed1 is offline Banned Reason: repeated advertising within weeks of joining the forum

Adderall has generic name of Amphetamine salts.
    Wellbutrin is something chemically that is entirely different. Adderall is basically speed. So they are definitely not anything similar to eachother, in my opinion.

merrymiau is offline Banned Reason: Attacking other members
    merrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to beholdmerrymiau is a splendid one to behold

@Samelife761,

If you're really feeling that fatigued, it might be a good idea to look into physical health issues. Have you had an annual physical recently? You could ask for a complete blood workup just to rule out any obvious causes -- thyroid issues, celiac disease, or any host of hormonal imbalances that could be throwing your system off. Maybe you've already looked into this. If not, I don't mean to scare you into thinking you have some disorder, it's just a good precaution to take especially if psychiatric meds aren't helping alleviate your symptoms.

As for your initial question, I've taken both Adderall and Wellbutrin in the past, and while I haven't studied their mechanism of action in detail, I can speak to the fact that they do not mimic each other even remotely in terms of how they *feel*. Everybody's body chemistry is different, of course, but Adderall is way more potent than Wellbutrin in terms of both effectiveness and unwanted side effects. I would imagine that once you tried Adderall, you'd be loathe to go back to Wellbutrin, even though (in my experience) the side effects are way more harsh. Adderall is basically an amphetamine, and while you'll definitely feel more energetic and focused when you're "on," there's a good chance you'll feel ten times more exhausted once your daily dose wears off -- or if you take it continuously and then suddenly stop for one reason or another. I'm not recommending one med over the other, but it's something to consider.

With both of those meds, though, I did experience a greater tendency to feel more OCD and obsessive about insignificant details (though I've never been diagnosed as such). If that's an issue for you, maybe you could look into substituting the Wellbutrin with Provigil? I don't know much about it, but I think it might have an energizing effect without exacerbating your OCD symptoms.

Good luck!

baxtercobe is offline Member

I can say that I have been on both Wellbutrin and Adderall in the past and they are two entirely different classes of drugs. Wellbutrin in my experience is more closely related to an antidepressant.

Munchkinman is offline Member

I 've taken Wellbutrin and Provigil (now Modalert) for 7 years. I asked my psychiatrist if I could change the Provigil to Adderall when I could no long afford Provigil on my new Medicare Part D and he said "No."

He felt Provigil was safer for me. (Even though he gives my Sister and Niece both Adderall.)

The other difference is that right now, I only see him every 2-3 monthss, while if you're on Adderall, you have to see him every month to get your 30 day prescription.

(Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have told him I also wanted Adderall to do my Spring Cleaning.)
    Last edited by Munchkinman; 05-01-2011 at 03:50 AM.

I have been on both Wellbutrin and Adderal. I enjoyed Wellbutrin but developed a rash from it so my Dr. took me off. She then tried out several other anti depressants and none worked out well for me. She couldn't place me on Adderal until I was diagnosed from a therapist. So I had to go through therapy to gain the prescription. I am now on Adderal and Clonopin. The adderal does speed you up but it also helps in a lot of ways the wellbutrin did. The Clonopin is an anxiety medication which helps with the anxiety the adderal can cause. But with the two it has turned out well for me. But I still would have prefered to stay on the wellbutrin.

pcguyusa is offline Honorable Member
    pcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nicepcguyusa is just really nice

Getting put on speed and benzos at the same time seems a bit odd to me but then I think psychiatry is 95% bunk anyway. Hope you don't implode in 6 months.

Art Vandelay is offline Honorable Member
    Art Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by gingergirl8302 View Post
    I have been on both Wellbutrin and Adderal. I enjoyed Wellbutrin but developed a rash from it so my Dr. took me off. She then tried out several other anti depressants and none worked out well for me. She couldn't place me on Adderal until I was diagnosed from a therapist. So I had to go through therapy to gain the prescription. I am now on Adderal and Clonopin. The adderal does speed you up but it also helps in a lot of ways the wellbutrin did. The Clonopin is an anxiety medication which helps with the anxiety the adderal can cause. But with the two it has turned out well for me. But I still would have prefered to stay on the wellbutrin.
    Be Excited Be Be Excited. Be careful taking all of those meds together. Pretty easy to get cracked out like that lady in requiem taking too many meds. Just be careful.
    "Passion Of The Christ Nails It!"