Thread: Water extract Ibuprofen from codeine?

Leap will become famous soon enough

Question Water extract Ibuprofen from codeine?

I have been in a good deal of dental pain. See dentist tomorrow, finally. I have been taking ibuprofen 200/codeine 12.8. (panafen+) My stomach hurts!
    Anyone know if water extract works on this?
    "I Want to Believe" - Fox Muldar

2. I only know of the cold water extract using apap. No idea how IB would react. Plenty of info on this stuff via google and you tube.

Honestly, IB works best for dental pain

Thanks for the tip I'll google and check erowid. I was hoping to take naproxin & the extracted codeine. Only 18 hours until dentist.
    I'm allergic to apap, but have extracted it from Tylenol 3's. Seemed to work ok.
    "I Want to Believe" - Fox Muldar

Yes, ibuprofen is less soluble in water than APAP, so a cold water extraction (CWE) will work even better on codeine/ibupfrofen pills than it would on codeine pills containing APAP.

Here is a link that compares the solubility of ibuprofen in various organic solvents..
    note the results for water at the very bottom of the chart...basically, ibuprofen is almost completely insoluble in water, which is exactly what you want.

Solubility of ibuprofen in organic solvents

Here's a quick and easy way to do a CWE on codeine/ibuprofen pills that will save your liver and preserve 95%+ of the codeine. Put 6-8 oz (maybe a bit more if you are using heroic amounts of pills) of cold water in a glass and add ice cubes and let stand for about 15 minutes. Crush your pills and put them in a separate glass. Add hot warm water to the pills, but just enough to dissolve the pills. Then, add the dissolved pills to the ice water and stir vigorously. Wait about 20 minutes until you see a layer of solvent form at the bottom of the glass - this is the ibuprofen and pill fillers that you do not want.

Now you are ready to strain. Take a paper towel and push it halfway into another glass so as to create a make-shift filter. SLOWLY pour the ice water mix into the paper towel filter. Remove the ice cubes from the paper towel filter. Pick up the filter by the edges and bring the edges of the filter together to form a tight ball. Squeeze any remaining liquid out of this ball into your brew. What you should see remaining in the paper towel is globs and chunks of white pill matter - this is a good sign and indicates that you have strained out most of the non-opiate material. Discard the paper towel and drink the brew.

This is a low-tech but effective method I use to get quick pain relief and spare my liver from the horrors of APAP and/or ibuprofen. A lot of people get pysched out by CWE's but, honestly, it is very easy to do and you don't have to be a chemist to do it.
    Helpful Clown, blivet Rated helpful
    Like SusanRose liked this post

Before reading Greenthumb's post I just tried simple cold water and filtering, lots of white stuff, added ice cubes, filtered drank, not as bitter as apap filtered codeine (used 3 panafen 200/12.8) but white stuff seemed to continue to dissolve. Anyway, pain is less. Will try GreenthuMb recipe next time. Now to find the naproxen. Thanks for advice everyone ;-)