NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 789 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Aleve and shortness of breath

Vabene is offline Member

Default Aleve and shortness of breath

I've been taking aleve for a few months and I realize it is too much but a
    Problem has come up. Will taking approx 8 tablets (1760mgs) of aleve a day cause breathing problems? I'm talking about not being able roll over in bed without having to catch my breath. When I talk I can only do 2 words then have to gasp for air. Walking 2 ft to the bathroom feels like I just ran a marathon. My weight isn't an issue and I quit smoking 2 years ago. No other problems with breathing before now. It just started happening.

I know and I can hear the scaldings but I have no insurance and the hosp where I live will turn you away if you cannot pay. It is a private hosp.

Thanks

Hurt is offline Senior Member
    Hurt will become famous soon enoughHurt will become famous soon enough

Aleve can have severe side effects if you overdose on it. A daily maximum of 1500 mg (naproxen) or 1650 mg (naproxen sodium) in 2 divided doses is the MOST you should ever take, and that is under doctor supervision. If you are having trouble breathing I would call the poison control center and ask their opinion about the severity (1-800-222-1222). Good luck.
    Helpful Gadget, Coheed Rated helpful

Vabene is offline Member

Thank you for your reply.

gibsonguitarslp is offline Distinguished Member
    gibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the roughgibsonguitarslp is a jewel in the rough

chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
    @Vabene

black, bloody, or tarry stools;

coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;

swelling or rapid weight gain;

urinating less than usual or not at all;

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;

bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness; or

fever, headache, neck stiffness, chills, increased sensitivity to light, purple spots on the skin, and/or seizure (convulsions).
    I've had shortness of breath start not to long ago, at work i have to go outside and walk around and geet fresh air, idk whats wrong with me i need to see a real docotr cuz i think something is wrong with my heart its like a tightness in my chest and i feel like im getting very little air. but to your problem i would stop taking aleve if its giving you breating problems, it'll only get worse i thnk so stop while your ahead
    hope everything works out (:
    peaceee
    gibsonguitarslp

sinister is offline Senior Member
    sinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enough

Well, I've honestly never heard of it causing those symptoms. But they do sound severe to me. If you're having trouble completing a sentence or walking a normal distance because of shortness of breath, you should really get checked out. Go to google, type in the closest big city near you and then "free clinics". There will be plenty, I promise.

Aleve can cause problems with the kidneys, especially at higher doses. I know this isn't what you want to hear but you really need to get checked out. Even if it means driving into the nearest metro and being seen at a university hospital ER where they will undoubtedly accept you and run labs on you. Sorry I can't give you a better answer but without knowing a whole lot more, I'd just be guessing and doing you a disservice.
    Jrama Queen

Coheed is offline Eminent Member
    Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

A little off topic but it shows my ignorance in this situation, I thought all hospitals had to accept patients regardless of health insurance or payment? I saw a big sign saying this on the wall of the hospital my baby girl was born at about 6 weeks ago and it was a private hospital. In fact I know many people who don't have insurance that go to ER and have a ridiculous bill and never xan afford to pay it.

That really sucks @Vabene but definitely go to a walk I'm clinic or another hospital sorry I couldn't help more.

sinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enough

@Coheed,
    This is true for patients that are triaged as "emergency" patients. But, we've had ER docs go into the waiting room and tell the patient they don't need an ER and need to follow up with their GP.

The main reason most ER's see all patients is to reduce liability and because it's a potential source of revenue.

But they're in no way obligated to see everyone that's not there for a true emergency. They just assume the liability of sending them away.
    Helpful mimi Rated helpful
    Like crucibelle liked this post
    Jrama Queen

Cranberry is offline Eminent Member
    Cranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud of

@sinister Do you work in the medical field? You give such great answers, that I'm just curious.
    Like sinister liked this post
    ~You are fearfully and wonderfully made.~

@Diamond22

Thank you for the compliment and I feel the same way about you. I've learned much from reading your posts in my short time here.

Yes, I do work in the medical field. I've split the last 10 years between working as a paramedic and then as an ICU and ER nurse.

After all that time, I thought I had a good grasp on chronic pain management. It wasn't until I underwent three surgeries and suffered from chronic pain myself that I understood I really didn't know as much as I thought and just how much of an uphill battle it is to get pain treated. I certainly practice differently today because of what I've been through.

What about you? You give great answers to, do you work in the medical field as well?
    Like Cranberry liked this post
    Jrama Queen

HHMuse is offline Honorable Member
    HHMuse has a spectacular aura aboutHHMuse has a spectacular aura aboutHHMuse has a spectacular aura aboutHHMuse has a spectacular aura aboutHHMuse has a spectacular aura aboutHHMuse has a spectacular aura about

Sounds to me like the aleve is ripping up your gut, and you are mistaking reflux for shortness of breath.
    Like Cranberry liked this post
    What if the Mayans predicted ACTA, and their calendar is censored past the year 2012?

Cranberry is offline Eminent Member
    Cranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud ofCranberry has much to be proud of

@sinister Sort of. The main jobs I had in that field were at the nursing home, primarily focus is senior care. I also worked at the group home for 3 years. But I'm trained as a psychologist so I never did direct care. My main experiences in health care comes just like yours sound. Trail and error and my own chronic pain. I've been struggling with endo for many years and I never thought I would actually look foward to menopause.
    ~You are fearfully and wonderfully made.~

jgrn87 is offline Senior Member
    jgrn87 will become famous soon enoughjgrn87 will become famous soon enoughjgrn87 will become famous soon enoughjgrn87 will become famous soon enough

@Vabene

You are taking way too much. 1250mg daily is considered the highest you should go, and you can increase to 1500mg for a short period of time. The last thing you want to do is destroy your kidneys and/or liver.

These are the most significant adverse reactions observed, occurring in 1 to 10% of people:

Cardiovascular: Edema (3% to 9%), palpitations (<3%)

Central nervous system: Dizziness (3% to 9%), drowsiness (3% to 9%), headache (3% to 9%), lightheadedness (<3%), vertigo (<3%)

Dermatologic: Pruritus (3% to 9%), skin eruption (3% to 9%), ecchymosis (3% to 9%), purpura (<3%), rash

Endocrine & metabolic: Fluid retention (3% to 9%)

Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain (3% to 9%), constipation (3% to 9%), nausea (3% to 9%), heartburn (3% to 9%), diarrhea (<3%), dyspepsia (<3%), stomatitis (<3%), flatulence, gross bleeding/perforation, indigestion, ulcers, vomiting

Genitourinary: Abnormal renal function

Hematologic: Hemolysis (3% to 9%), ecchymosis (3% to 9%), anemia, bleeding time increased

Hepatic: LFTs increased

Ocular: Visual disturbances (<3%)

Otic: Tinnitus (3% to 9%), hearing disturbances (<3%)

Respiratory: Dyspnea (3% to 9%)

Miscellaneous: Diaphoresis (<3%), thirst (<3%)
    Based on the symptoms you are describing, you have several of the above. I didn't mention the life threatening side effects that occur in less than 1% of people, but basically, they can kill you. You need to cut back, and you should switch to a different medication to help manage you pain if possible.
    Last edited by jgrn87; 02-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Vabene is offline Member

I broke my ankle 3 years ago, had a rod placed and still owe money to the hospital. Last time I went I was told I would not be seen if I couldn't pay.

I don't have any visible signs of bleeding or anything out of the ordinary. Just trouble breathing. Someone mentioned reflux, omg I have reflux heartburn like you wouldn't believe. I figured it was from not eating. I work 70 hours a week and try to just get rent paid and food for my 2 kids is my main goal. So I skip a few meals a week, I will be ok.

Another replied go to another town, I do not have a car so that is out. I live and work within a 5 miles radius, I walk to where I need to go. I am just trying to deal with what's in front of me.

jgrn87 is offline Senior Member
    jgrn87 will become famous soon enoughjgrn87 will become famous soon enoughjgrn87 will become famous soon enoughjgrn87 will become famous soon enough

@Vabene

Being able to walk two steps, or say only two words, before you have to gasp for air is not normal. That does not sound like reflux to me, at least not in the little you described. Your trouble breathing could be related to several things, and one of them could be Aleve, and the best way to find that out is to take something else. There are of course several other things that could be the cause, but if your shortness of breath started when you increased your Aleve, that should be a hint. That is a huge amount of Aleve to take. It is not a benign medication to take, it can seriously screw up your kidneys and your liver, and it can cause gastric ulcers. While I sympathize over your inability to be seen at that hospital, you need to realize that what you are doing currently is dangerous.

rtek is offline Member

I took naproxem one time right before I went to sleep and had severe food poisening like effects the next day. Insane stomach cramps followed by bloody stools and a horrible day or two. I have not taken it since and would not recommend it.

Vabene is offline Member

I did quit taking the aleve and have noticed a small but discernable difference.

Saw a news show where a guy robbed (not armed) a corner store and sat outside the store to wait for police to arrest him. Everyone asks why he just sat there and flat out said "if im in jail they have to give me medical treatment."

Sad but right now, I completely can see having to go to such extreme measures.

Thank to all that replied.