NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 675 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: meloxicam vs naproxen

robcos will become famous soon enoughrobcos will become famous soon enoughrobcos will become famous soon enough

Default meloxicam vs naproxen

Naproxen was pretty tough on my stomach, but worked pretty well. Meloxicam, on the other hand, is much easier on the gut, but it doesn't seem to cut pain from inflammation as well. Thoughts?

Also, while taking meloxicam I ran into a weird side effect. I found myself tearing up at different times throughout the day. Not a terrible side effect, but when you're speaking with people, in person, at work all day, it's something of a challenge.

Anyone else have a similar side effect with meloxicam ? And generally speaking, for those who have been on both, which do you prefer ?

I prefer Meloxicam personally, as I am prone to stomach problems from anti-inflammatory drugs. I took the drug for about 3 months. The only side effect I experienced was that I could "feel" a vein pumping in my head. My doctor said it was just stress, but it went away as soon as I stopped taking the medicine.
    Like robcos liked this post

3. @robcos I too take meloxicam but never had an issue with tearing up. The are hard on my gut tho and so much so I really don't think the benifit is worth it IMO.

I have been prescribed Meloxicam for my back but found it was much less effective than naproxen or ibuprofen.

My recent experience of Meloxicam was bleeding after 6 days. I threw up black fluid in my sleep, looked and felt like coffe grinds, and had black stool for 3 days.

There's more to it and I go into it more here - Osteo-Arthritis What works for you?

6. Right now I am having significant osteoarthritis in my knees. I have tried RestIceCompressionElevation and hot therapy. I have also bought an OTC joint supplement that has rave reviews from some family members with same problem. Also have used several creams - nothing that I would recommend. My doctor did give me a sample of a topical medicine known as Pennsaid. It sort of works.

Had never heard of Meloxicam until just now? Any feedback on its effectiveness would be appreciated. Thank you.

My PM doc just switched me to meloxicam. Said that since its generic now, it should be cheap and do a great job... If I hadnt picked it up from the pharmacy, I'd wonder if they were fake - naproxen was a 1000x better...

8. Meloxicam is relatively old, but an effective NSAID... I've used naproxen (as much as 1000mg at a time) to good effect, just taking with ample food/drink to not incur gastritis
    Helpful robcos Rated helpful

Basileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura aboutBasileuz has a spectacular aura about

Meloxicam is better. I'd even risk to say it is almost the perfect NSAID. Naproxen is nice as well. I also like Cetoprofen but it has a very short duration.
    Codein's patient information - "Side effects: ... False sense of well-being."

10. naproxen may be safer for the cardiovascular system than meloxicam.
    For stomach problems, talk with your prescriber, a PPI or misoprostol (if you're a candidate for it, many are not) may prevent/treat them.
    All of the above can have problematic drug interactions, so talk with your pharmacist if you can.

Nexium works to mitigate against the bleeding issues associated with Meloxicam use. I have found a reduced dose of what the doc ordered is enough and is also easier on the heart, stomach and GI tract.

Right now I am taking both Meloxicam and Naproxen Sodium every day. If I had to choose only one to take I would choose Meloxicam because I feel it is more effective for pain and inflammation related to a frozen shoulder.

13. I was very recently offered Meloxicam 7.5 but Ive done some Googling on the med. It isnt anything like Vicodin/hydro is it

Quote Originally Posted by MrChicago View Post
    I was very recently offered Meloxicam 7.5 but Ive done some Googling on the med. It isnt anything like Vicodin/hydro is it
    No it isn't. Mobic (meloxicam) is an NSAID which is available by prescription only in the US similar to Celebrex.
    Naproxen, on the other hand, is sold over-the-counter but has many of the same properties as Mobic.
    None of these medications are comparable to Vicodin.
    Helpful MrChicago Rated helpful

15. Thanks @alumni that is what I thought.

for me naproxen is much better than meloxicam and many other .
    Like MrChicago liked this post