Thread: Can you drink while taking amoxicillin

Sarah S is offline Junior Member

Default Can you drink while taking amoxicillin

I realise that it "is not advised" to drink while on antibiotics but what are the reasons for this? Can it cause real harm?

stophatinboo is offline Junior Member

You do not need to drink when taking any type of medication.

Although it is sensible to avoid drinking alcohol when taking any medication, it is unlikely that drinking alcohol in moderation will cause problems if you are taking most common antibiotics. However, it is necessary to completely avoid drinking when taking certain kinds of antibiotics, because the adverse effects are more severe(breathlessness, headache, increased or irregular heart rate, low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting) In order to avoid these adverse effects it is preferable to consult a doctor before drinking alcohol while on antibiotics.

nfd?

steveomystikal is offline Junior Member

You don't want to drink while taking amoxicillin because it can make it to where it's not as effective as it should be. And if you have an infection, I advise not drinking until that infection is gone. Expecially if it is something like a bladder infection.

There is a reason for the warning that says "Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medicine." I advise that you listen to it or you could have to go back for more antibiotics, which isn't fun because doctors then want to do more tests because the antibiotic should have worked.

AND: DO NOT ask your doctor, ask your pharmacist as he knows better how these chemicals react with meds.

jenn is offline Junior Member

They say it can stop the antibiotic from working or it can make you feel really drunk, the alcohol takes effect quicker. My hubby was on amoxicillin one christmas, the dr told him he could drink whilst on these and that there are very few antibiotics that require you not to drink whilst taking them

Dude.... is offline Junior Member

Drinking alcohol while taking this antibiotic inhibits the absorption of the antibiotic. It can also make you very sick in terms of nausea and vomiting. If you have an ailment that requires a course of antibiotics, it is in the best interest of your health to abstain from alcohol consumption while you heal.

samuiels is offline Member

There is no interaction between amoxicillin and alcohol so are free to drink.

BTW 50 to 85% of all antibiotics prescribes for all indications are unnecessary.