NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 522 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics and Dental Abscess

1. Default dental question..are amoxicillin and penicillin the same thing

I have a tooth abcess and my dent prescribed amoxicillin to me last week and it didn't clear up my infection. I went back to the dentist today for a root canal but he couldn't get my tooth numb because of the infection so he sent me home with a prescription for penicillin and an appointment for next week. My question is if the amoxicillin didn't work won't the penicillin not work? Aren't they the same thing?

I THINK that amoxicillin is the generic form of penicillin. However sometimes the generic forms are not as effective. Also you may now be on a higher dosage that is not available in the generic.

3. They are from the same family, but are different. Sometimes one course isn't enough and you need a second one to clear the infection.
    Helpful SpaceMatters Rated helpful

4. They both are Antibiotics yet Amoxicillian isn't as strong as Penicillian is. So therefore that's why he gave you a different one. The penicilian is much more potent. Therefore next week it'll definately be able to go numb so you can have your root canal done.. I'm going through the same thing. I had a dentist pull 2 of my teeth and he left roots in so now I'm taking amoxicillan to have it cleared so another dentist can pull the roots.

Good luck

5. yeah i'm pretty sure you're right they are the same thing but your dentist may have upped the dosage so that it will work better. look it up on google!

6. Amoxicillin and penicillin are in the same family of medications, but are not exactly the same drug.

7. similar, but not the same

8. Both are pain medications but they aren't exactly the same thing. I'm allergic to penicillin so I'm given amoxicillin.

Default What should i do if i have a dental abscess im takin penicillin, its so SWOLLEN, and still a lil painful.

What should i do if i have a dental abscess? im takin penicillin, its so SWOLLEN, and still a lil painful.

Just follow the duration of taking penicillin. Also, you can take an analgesic for pain relief. When the swelling stops, the pain will also go away. You can also use antibacterial mouth rinses.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your advice.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    If the penicillin was prescribed to you specifically for the dental infection, allow it 3-4 days to work on the swelling. As ladypam said, antibacterial mouthwashes would help like those which has chlorhexidine, but use it once or twice a day for one week only (maximum of 2 weeks if prescribed) since most rinses with chlorhexidine can cause teeth staining if used for longer periods of time.
    Helpful freetorun231 Rated helpful

13. Default Antibiotics and Dental Abscess

Hi there, Everyone:

I have a dental abscess that has become quite infected. My dentist gave me a script for Amoxicillin (1,500 mg per day). She also warned me that if it doesn't work right away, that she would have me switch to Azithromycin.

I asked her what right away meant, and she said "two doses." Does this sound right to you?

I have only been on it about 14 hours and wonder how long a chance I should give it before I should panic.

She was worried because I have been treated successfully for the same infection twice in the past with penicillin KV, and she is worried that I may have built up a resistance to the penicillin family.

Unfortunately it is the weekend and I won't be able to get in contact with her again until Monday, and I am worried about the infection spreading. It doesn't seem to be responding to the Amoxicillin yet, but as I said, it has only been about 14 hours.

Thanks in advance!
    Helpful riverstyx Rated helpful

14. Usually it takes 2-3 days to see any improvement from the amoxicillin
    If you took 2000 mg per day that may help. You definately would not see any improvement after only 2 doses and 14 hours.

15. Amoxicillin is a disrupter of the cell wall of bacteria, that destroys the bacteria's ability to make certain bonds occur. This leads to holes in the walls of the bacteria and to bacteria cell death shortly thereafter. Amoxicillin usually takes around three days to start working on a toothache, which is how long it takes for enough amoxicillin to build up to attack the bacteria causing the tooth pain.
    Internationally known, nationally recognized and locally respected.

16. Amoxicillin might not make the abscess better at all. But if it does work, will take several days to notice much improvement.

riverstyx is offline Banned Reason: Promoting a rival forum, spreading lies about this site
    riverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond repute
    riverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond repute
    well, aren't i special that i have just gone through a similar situation, and can respond.
    u have a few days. don't panic. if u can get glyoxide from a pharmacy,OTC, to clean the infected area, then good. it can cost up to $6 for a wee bottle. it is similar to hydrogen peroxide. i would also use salt in warm water to gargle and keep the area clean.
    when i finally had funds to go in to a dentist, i was given amoxi, but usually one takes two caps, 500 mg, thrice daily to start. u then go down to one cap, three times daily. or u become nauseated.
    a water pik or water floss irrigation as they call it now does help but woe to those with a new abscess and no codeine in the house. just sayin.
    take ur meds as prescribed. don't worry. take tylenol or aspirin as u do for the pain. i doubt u will need the zithromax.
    however, i gotta warn u, that if the infection is significant, dentists or oral surgeons sometimes have to keep u on antibiotics for up to 3 weeks before they can work on the area.
    so, keep ur doctor/dentist informed. let them check. keep area clean. u will live.
    ur body will show its response in its own time, so we can only help u guestimate.
    but, if u r female, which i kinda doubt, be wary of yeast infection from antibiotics.
    if male, then no problem.
    u will be ok. really.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    @riverstyx, please do not use short cuts in your posts.

franken4110, it usually take 3 days for the antibiotic to present an observable effect on the patient. In your case, it's usually on the 3rd day where you'd see a noticeable change in the size of the swelling and improvement in symptoms. That's why there are a lot of patients who would stop taking the antibiotic on the 3rd or 4th day since they thought they are well already--not thinking that they really need to complete the entire antibiotic course prescribed to them (usually 7 days) to fully eradicate the bacteria which caused the abscess.

Now, supposed you have budget constraints an opted to cut your dose to 3 or 4 days since the swelling went down at that time---you do this, then you are risking yourself to antibiotic resistance. The next time you have a similar infection, the same bacteria won't respond to the same antibiotic that easily as they already developed a resistance to the drug. Hence, you'd need a more potent and more expensive antibiotic to work against those bacteria.
    Helpful riverstyx Rated helpful

riverstyx is offline Banned Reason: Promoting a rival forum, spreading lies about this site
    riverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond repute
    riverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond repute
    ok, i have re-read this and checked to confirm that amoxi is in tabs and drops and an actual brand.
    i try to not break rules, but for in life, so i need to know, if u get time. is saying "u" the prohibited act? i cannot capitalize due to pain and mobility issues. and it is why i use "u" and "ok."
    i don't see another short cut.
    when u can, please let me know what is deemed a shortcut. and sorry. and thank u.
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Magician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of lightMagician is a glorious beacon of light

@tinmuning
    @riverstyx
    Quote Originally Posted by riverstyx View Post
    i cannot capitalize due to pain and mobility issues. and it is why i use "u" and "ok."
    i don't see another short cut.
    I have to agree with tinmuning, riverstyx. Your usage of "u" and "r" and "gotta" and "kinda" is so very distracting that it's difficult to follow your meaning. Surely you intend people to focus on your meaning, rather than the "cute" spelling.

You may have pain and mobility issues, for which I offer empathy. But to claim that they compel you to type "u" instead of "you" is dubious. The remark about capitalization is odd because (a) "you" and "are" do not require capitals, and (b) you had no problem capitalizing OTC or using the dollar sign, or using the quote marks and question mark in your followup. And the rest of your post (although helpful once deciphered) is not what I'd call brief.

I wonder if you're being somewhat disingenuous about a disability.

tinmuning was brief and said "please". You argued....
    Last edited by Magician; 04-25-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: toned down the criticism
    Like treysmommy1 liked this post
    "Mr. Babcock, knowledge is POWER!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast