Thread: 5 1/2 month old taking Amoxicillin for ear infection

1. Default 5 1/2 month old taking Amoxicillin for ear infection

Does the amoxicillin cause stomach cramps? My baby has been on it since last Thursday and has woken up twice this week screaming. Last night he woke up 2 times and has had lot's of gas and I can hear his tummy gurggling.

2. as a mother i would think that it's still an ear infection. that perhaps the antibiotic isn't working and she either still needs time or a different antibiotic

3. Amoxicillin can cause stomach cramps and diarhea. But if you want to get rid of the infection you dont have much choice.
    I hope he feels better soon.

**Give it to him while he has something in his stomach to help with the pains.

4. yeah, it does...sucks but what can you do?

5. Are you giving him the amoxicillin with milk? You may want to make sure of that. It could still be the ear infection too. I would take him back to the doctor to make sure.

6. Give him vitamins with it. Antiboitics lower his immunities because they get rid of good AND bad bacteria. And yes it's very common for babies to get diarrhea with it as well... I wouldn't be surprised if he gets diarrhea soon. If he does, ask your doctor to switch antibiotics. My daughter couldn't really handle Amoxicillan. She got a yeast infection from it that lasted months. Ugh... I hate it for you and your baby. It sucks when they are sick so young

7. Has he been eating normally while on this medication?
    This medication usually cause diareah and vomitting and cramping.
    So it is normal.
    Just keep his fluids up,. When onn Amoxicillin it will dehydrate him so make sure he's keeping the fluids up

8. Oh, sheila, I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

I don't think that would have been the amoxicillin at work. Some pediatricians advise babies (as early as 2 months old) to take antibiotics, and they don't see any negative effect because of it.