Thread: Augmentin 875mg... it makes me dizzy, what gives?

1. Default Augmentin 875mg... it makes me dizzy, what gives?

Hi all.

figured since I was here looking up some other meds I would ask about this drug. I got it yesterday, have to take it 3 times a day for a week for an infected tear duct. one small problem I've noticed is that it kind of makes me light headed to the point of were I feel very out of balance. I don't seem to have a problem driving, but if I'm walking somewhere it can happen. If this is what I can look forward to I'll be staying out of heels for the duration!

That only started this morning after a full day on the drug(hopefully the infection isn't traveling though )

I do take with food and have only been taking it since yesterday, but wanted to know if maybe I should ask for something else? I got this from the eyes, ears, throat infirmary since the duct started to bleed (which meant I had to do somthing) so I don't think I'd have a problem getting anything else from them. I did notice a small amount of stomach upset as well but from the paperwork that was to be expected.

Any feedback/insight on this drug would be great.

Thanks!

-CPP
    Helpful pkne Rated helpful

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

A search of medscape found no correlations of dizziness with augmentin administration. Are you sure the dizziness occurred within 10 minutes but not longer than 1 hour after taking the drug? Dehydration could cause dizziness, if you're not drinking enough water, as could abnormally low blood sugar levels from not eating right.

For antibiotic side effects, medscape has this to say: "Adverse events attributed to antibiotics are usually caused by three mechanisms: exaggerated response to the known pharmacological effects of the drug, immunologic reactions to the drug or its metabolites, and toxic effects of the compound or its metabolites. Most antibiotic-related adverse events are precipitated by an extension of the drug's normal pharmacology and are often avoided by appropriate dosage adjustment".

My search of medscape was not comprehensive, however. Rxlist.com is an excellent source of medication information. It clearly states under interactions and side effects, "central nervous system," that "dizziness" is a known (but rare) side effect. Therefore, augmentin could be the source. If the dizziness is bad enough to interfere with activities of daily living, then I would advise returning to the doctor. But you should know that other antibiotics can also cause dizziness. A z-pack, or azithromycin, can cause dizziness, for example. So . . . just stay away from heels, and don't go rock-climbing, you'll be fine!!

Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410873_3
    Augmentin (Amoxicillin Clavulanate) Drug Information: User Reviews, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Dosage at RxList

3. Hi and thanks.

Its not dehydration as I tend to drink up to a gallon a day. (I get thirsty) Blood sugar levels are tested every morning. Granted, I've thought of that but its not the same type of feeling. my sugar levels are always around 78-84. I've only noticed after after a full day on the meds that I've had those crazy dizzy spells.

Tonight I did notice I've got some stomach upset though no diarrhea thankfully, and I'm up yet again because my stomach hurts a bit. In my case that seems to be par for the course where oral antibiotics are concerned.

Looks like I will end up calling the dr to see if I can get something not so terrible to my system

-CPP

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

It's definitely the augmentin then. Hopefully your doc can find you something more agreeable with you. Good luck! Please let us know what he switches you to as I'm curious if he will or not.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Augmentin may cause dizziness. It is one of its CNS-related side effects. It's not a common side effect of the drug but just like in your case, it is possible. It could worsen when you combine it with other medications that can cause dizziness or when you take alcohol with the drug.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    This message was intended for rollyfingerz, whose post used to appear before mine. I deleted his post since clearly he did not read the TS's inquiry.

The threadstarter already posted why he needed the antibiotics. Please read the entire flow of the forum before posting. I also noticed that you posted several posts within almost the same hour to reach the 50++ posts required to become a Senior Member. Will be pruning your irrelevant or careless posts since this is also under "post padding."
    Last edited by tinmuning; 02-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.

@tinmuning I am confused because I did read the entire conversation before posting. In fact, I participate in the entire conversation, back and forth with chickenpotpie. My motivation for posting had nothing to do with post padding. In fact, I had already reached Honorable Member status by the time I posted here! So please tell me how they could possibly be construed as post padding! And how is what I wrote careless? I am never careless in my advice. I am many things---long-winded, amusing, overly serious, depending on my mood----but never careless.

I make friends easily but but usually do not make enemies so if I had inadvertently made enemies with you please let me know so I can correct that behavior and apologize (if indeed I was wrong) to you.
    Last edited by QVC1212; 02-13-2011 at 02:48 PM.

@QVC1212:
    I'm so sorry for the mishap I caused with the infraction. As I said in my PM, I'm really puzzled as to how it came about since I don't recall issuing you one but I was giving rollyfingerz an infraction for post padding & was pruning his posts as well. I already edited my post above so members would know what's behind the post padding issue.

Again, I apologize for what I caused you. You've been such a great help in the forum and please don't let this mishap of mine deter you from participating well in our community.

I totally understand. Like I said in my reply to your PM, I understand that you, drboris and szo have a tough job and I don't envy you the task of having to read through every single post day in and day out. It's a luxury to be able to pick and choose which threads to read and which ones to reply to.

So it's no big deal since drboris reversed it. I really respect what the moderators do, and you probably don't hear enough positive feedback (just complaints when things start flaming) so I should point out that y'all do an excellent job.