Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I accidentally ate part of a moldy muffin, and I'm allergic to Penicillin, what should I do?

  1. #1
    macgirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1


    Default I accidentally ate part of a moldy muffin, and I'm allergic to Penicillin, what should I do

    I ate a small amount of a chocolate muffin, it tasted weird and I looked at it closer and it had fuzzy mold on it. I saw another person's question about eating moldy cheese, and the response was that that's where Penicillin comes from, but I'm allergic to Penicillin. Should I try to throw it up? Or call a doctor?
    Thanks for your quick responses. I did try to induce vomiting, no luck, guess I'll never be bulimic. It's been about a 1/2 hour now since I ate it, and i'm feeling ok so far, so maybe it won't do anything to me after all. It just freaked me out. I drank a huge glass of milk too, to try to dilute the muffin somehow. We'll see what happens. Thanks again!

  2. #2
    ansker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1


    If it's just a small amount it shouldn't matter. The fact you seem still ok now is a good sign.

  3. #3
    msdarkness's Avatar
    msdarkness is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1


    induce vomiting.

  4. #4
    ladypam is offline Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    938
    Its true that penicillin does come from penicillium mold, (not all molds are penicillium) but based on medical evidence, most people allergic to peniciillin do not have an allergic reaction to moldy foods like blue cheese and moldy bread since the amount of penicillin in it is not enough to trigger an allergic response.

    This doesn't mean that you can eat all the mold food that you want. It just means that you do not have to worry much, unless you have had experience with your penicillin allergy being triggered from a very small amount of penicillin. but as you feel fine, then its alright.

    Hope this helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 11:22 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 12:39 AM
  4. my dogs ate naproxen (similar to aleve)...what should i do?
    By cynseals1788 in forum Anti-Inflammatories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Protected by Copyscape CopySentry. Do not copy.