Thread: Is Amoxicillin and Penicillin the same thing?

1. Default Is Amoxicillin and Penicillin the same thing

I thought I had strep throat and called my doc and he gave me some Penicillin. He couldn't really tell me over the phone so I went to get a test on it and it came back negative but he also prescribe amoxicillin but he ask if I was allergic to penicillin. My throat was just a bad sore throat with a headeache. I did have a fever but that went away and my headache is gone to. My throat is getting better I think. So my question is, are these to drugs the same? and do they work the same?
    Is there anything that you can take with the antibotic to that will make it work faster?

2. Amoxicillin and Penicillin are both in the same category which is antibiotics. Amoxicillin is slightly different from Penicillin. Doctors give Amox to patients with an allergy to PCN. They both fight off bacteria and pretty much do the same thing. Its just that PCN has something in it that many people happen to be allergic to.

3. i think they are based on the same thing only pennician is stronger my fiance is allergic to pennicilan and amoxicillan and he says it is because they have the same base

i do think that amoxicillan is weaker penicillan because ive only ever gotten amoxicillan and that has cleared it right up also im allergic to other antibiotics with a different base

The speed of the action of the antibiotics depends on how well your body absorbs it. Even so, an antibiotic regimen should always be continued for the prescribed number of days to receive its full effect.