Thread: How long until the Penicillin will kick in and get rid of infection?

Winterwonderland. is offline Junior Member

Default How long until the Penicillin will kick in and get rid of infection

How long does it take for Penicillin to kick in? ?
    I have a bad tooth infection and I need my wisdom teeth out along with another tooth, which is the one that is infected..I can't get into the doc to get them pulled until December 5th. He prescribed some Penicillin and a pain killer. I am taking my pain killer every 6 hours as prescribed and it wears out in 4 hours...I know once the swelling goes down by taking the penicillin it will feel better...but how long until the penicillin kicks in so im not living on pain killers?
    p.s. I've been taking them both for about 24 hours now.

I have Peniccilin which gets rid of the infection
    and I also am taking a pain killer as well.

jandy is offline Junior Member

about 24 to 48 hours, but you have to continue that medication or it will come back and or inc chance of resistance. anyway. take your pain med at 3 and 1/2 hours to overlap, you don't have to wait exactly 4 hours. also, try adding ibuprofen 400mg with the pain med as long as not allergic or your pain med has the same medication., try warm salt water gargles and warm compress to your face. eat soft foods. Hope you feel better soon.

tony is offline Junior Member

Once the Penicillin starts to work (within 3 days) the pain will also subsides. To help fighting the infection and heals faster, use Listerine mouthwash 4 times a day, especially after a meal and before going to sleep to kill the flora (bacteria) that populate your mouth and saliva. Brush your teeth (not on the infected area) too.

tinmuning is offline Moderator
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Penicillin & other antibiotics have a peak effect on the 3rd or 4th day of taking the drug. With the reduced pressure from the pus, pain also subsides. With the usual dental inflammation, analgesics are usually taken for 2 days then only optional or "as needed" on the succeeding days.

A cheaper alternative for commercial mouthwash is a home-made warm salt solution (3 times a day would do) or you can use chlorhexidine rinses.

Winterwonderland. is offline Junior Member

Thank you everyone for sharing these helpful information.