NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 751 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Can i drink alcohol if im taking phenoxymethyl penicillin?

1. Default Can i drink alcohol if im taking phenoxymethyl penicillin

just wondering if i can drink or not whilst im on these tablets?

2. Yes you can in moderation. There is no interaction with alcohol and Penicillin antibiotics. This question comes up a lot;, it is a myth that you cannot drink alcohol in moderation whilst taking antibiotics. The only antibiotics that alcohol directly interact with are Metronidazole and Tinidazole and such like.

In general, if possible one should avoid drinking alcohol with all medication, but if you drank in moderation, it would not do any harm. If your uncertain, check with your pharmacist who will tell you what I have.
    Helpful SpaceMatters, fatalframe Rated helpful

3. No, anytime you are on antibiotics of any kind, alcohol should be avoided. Just wait until you are finished with the course of treatment before indulging. Otherwise you may risk interactions with the medicine that can be quite unpleasant and in some cases fatal.

4. yes you can.
    unfortuneatly this will cause the anti biotic to stop working.

5. Default Reply,

Hello There,

I find this a very interesting discussion. I am a new consultant on a cardiology ward and often prescribe antibiotics and have learnt about all of them. It is false that it will stop working if you drink alcohol. But you should try not to drink and take any medication. Again, every person reacts differently and it is not uncommon that you can have stomach problems due to antibiotics, alcohol will not help this.

Kind Regards

Dr Steven Phillips
    Dr Steven Phillips MB BSc

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@DrSteve As a medical professional, you are most welcome on PR! I was merely a medic for a short time, studying to be a surg tech, and so my credentials are nothing compared to yours. But I always wondered that question myself. It has never stopped me from drinking while on antibiotics, but I also always asked myself the question if the alcohol nullified the efficacy of the antibiotic. Now I know the truth. Thank you so much for the clarification. I hope you become a regular contributor on PR!

Ranger will become famous soon enoughRanger will become famous soon enoughRanger will become famous soon enoughRanger will become famous soon enough

As the doc. said, no problems with alcohol use, usually.

But, if you are paranoid, you can "work around it" sorta.

For example, right now I have a nasty URI (upper resp. infection), which is part of the reason I've been posting, since I'm housebound and bored.

I'm taking 500 mg of Keflex every 12 hours. Keflex reaches peak serum levels after an hour. Some 90 percent of it has been excreted unchanged in the urine after eight hours.

So, if I want to drink, and I want to be esp. careful, I might wait until eight hours after the dose....of course then you are looking at not getting too close to the upcoming dose.

Just thinking a bit out of the box.....btw, since it is excreted unchanged, I guess as an economy measure, you could store the urine and drink it?? LOL!

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@Ranger ROFLMAO storing the urine and drinking it because it's 90% unchanged? That's hilarious and gross. More gross than hilarious.

mlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enough

In general you should avoid drinking alcohol while taking any meds really. Some more than others will have synergistic effects when alcohol is taken concomitantly.
    Last edited by mlo; 03-16-2011 at 02:41 PM.

@mlo I agree with you mlo. Also, I came across an article on sciencedirect which suggested certain (and rare) antibiotics are contraindicated by alcohol. For instance, rifampin was one of them. You don't want to drink if you're on a rifampacin type of antibiotic. There were four or five others. This was after my post when I agreed with the good doctor up there that it was perfectly fine. I'll see if I can find the article.

Couldn't find the article, just the abstract which read: Alcohol Inhibits LPS-Induced Liver Autophagy via BCL-2/Beclin-1 Pathway

Also found an article which suggests alcohol increases endotoxin level and affects permeability, making it harder for the antibiotic to do its job, presumably. Although it was implied rather than stated.
    Last edited by QVC1212; 03-16-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: additional info added

11. I always thought that drinking alcohol while on antibiotics decreases the effectiveness of the antibiotics?

@shilly_shillson @mlo and I are in agreement on this one that alcohol should be avoided while taking antibiotics; clinicians would back this up; however, there isn't a lot of literature out there that directly studies the effect of alcohol on antibiotic efficacy. For one thing there are some ethical problems with the study---for accurate measures a patient would truly have to be sick to be included and need antibiotics, and if indeed alcohol decreased the efficacy the patient could then get sicker or die all the while increasing antibiotic resistance. Methodology problems too---not really ethical to do a double-blind study where no one on either side knows who is sick or not and who is getting alcohol plus antibiotic, or alcohol plus placebo, or placebo plus alcohol. It'd be challenging to research.

I don't think the reason mixing antibiotics and alcohol is frowned upon has anything to do with the antitbiotic losing its effectiveness. It has more to do with the undesirable effects that can occur whenever combining the two (stomach ache /nausea/ diarreah)...at least that is how it was explained to me.

anneyours224 is offline Banned Reason: Making unhelpful 4 word posts all over the forum

Its better if you stop drinking alcohol.