Thread: What's the difference between Minocycline and Tetracycline?

corey p is offline Junior Member

Default What's the difference between Minocycline and Tetracycline

Hi,
    I am 18 years old, 180 lbs, and I have severe acne. My doctor put me on minocycline and differin gel well over a year ago and I have seen some differences but the acne is still quite frequent. Would going on Tetracycline work? What's the difference? I am also considering accutane as a last resort. Thank you!

Matt H is offline Junior Member

Ya minocycline is stronger but, I have tried them both and they work. Make sure to use BENZOYL PEROXIDE 10% solution too! Eventually you could get off of antibiotics and use just benzoyl peroxide, trust me I used to be in your shoes.

bleweyez20249 is offline Junior Member

My son was on all of that, too. It did not work for him. He did the Accutane and it was like a miracle drug for him. I know that there are many side affects, but I my opinion, follow the rules of the drug and it could work a miracle for you, too. Good luck.

minocycline is about twice as strong as tetracycline, same drug family, so I doubt switching will improve anything.

tinmuning is offline Moderator
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    I wouldn't say that minocycline is a "stronger" drug compared to tetracycline. Longer acting is a more appropriate term. There's a big difference in something which is stronger and something that last longer. Compared to tetracycline, minocycline last 10 hours more than tetracycline.

corey p is offline Junior Member

Hi everyone, all your replies are very helpful. Thank you so much!

esotret is offline Member

Yeah, mynocicline is "a stronger kind of tetracycline" (maybe not the best expression). I guess your doctor recommended starting with tetracycline before going for mynocicline to let your body get used to it.
    By the way, I can see that your last post was on 2008, how did your treatment go?
    My Sotret Blog - My experience with Sotret