Thread: Lisinopril and Alcohol

1. Default Lisinopril and Alcohol

I recently started taking Lisinopril for moderately high blood pressure. 5mg daily.

These last few days I have attended social events where alcohol was present. After 2-3 beers I found myself feeling light headed and dizzy. Due to this side effect I don't plan to drink any more on this medication.

However is there a chance I could have done any permanant damage by drinking and taking lisinopril?

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    It is advised to not to drink alcohol while on lisinopril as it further lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of lisinopril. As for long-term effects on taking both, I haven't read anything on those but while you don't know what the long-term effects would be, avoid combining both as much as possible.

3. Lisinopril is a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stans for angiotens converting enzyme. It is used to treat high blood pressure that is hypertension, congestive heart failure and to improve survival of heart attack.

petenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura about

one of the no no's is to use alcohol while on BP meds. Currently on a number of meds and besides the "lifestyle" changes - no caffeine, lower sodium and cut back on smoking - alcohol will not help with the meds and the goal of lowering your BP.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

I don't know about the synergistic effects of alcohol and lisinopril but I do know that one to two drinks will lower your blood pressure, while drinking 3 or more drinks will start to raise it. Either way it's a bad idea to mix because the zestril/alcohol combo will lower it more than it should be, and the 3 drinks or more will offset the effects of the lisinopril.

I’ve been on 10mg Zestril and 25mg Atenolol for 10 years now, and the formula appears to work quite well in taming my BP. While I rarely drink during the week (have a family to attend to and a business to run), I’m known to throw more than a few Heinekens back on weekends, especially in the summer. My doctor is aware of this and, beyond the standard MD precautions against excess, hasn’t warned me about any Zestril/Alcohol counter indications.

petenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura aboutpetenyc has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by M.S View Post
    Iíve been on 10mg Zestril and 25mg Atenolol for 10 years now, and the formula appears to work quite well in taming my BP. While I rarely drink during the week (have a family to attend to and a business to run), Iím known to throw more than a few Heinekens back on weekends, especially in the summer. My doctor is aware of this and, beyond the standard MD precautions against excess, hasnít warned me about any Zestril/Alcohol counter indications.
    I agree with the Zestril/Alcohol counter indications, but depending on what kind and how much alcohol, it works against the goal lowering of it. If the BP is not that bad for you, why not. I'd love to have a sip about now but because of the severity of the numbers for me I have it a no go until my numbers drop.

8. As with any new med its takes time for your body to get used to it. I have been taking Lisinopril for about 5 years and have not noticed any ill effects when drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by petenyc View Post
    I agree with the Zestril/Alcohol counter indications, but depending on what kind and how much alcohol, it works against the goal lowering of it. If the BP is not that bad for you, why not. I'd love to have a sip about now but because of the severity of the numbers for me I have it a no go until my numbers drop.
    At the risk of sounding like a PSA, exercise and sleep are key. Sure, alcohol (especially my poison Ė great beer) can raise sodium levels and push your kidneys to increase your blood volume (a primary factor in hypertension). But a regular exercise routine can help counteract that action. Sleep can too, although to a lesser extent.

Anyway, off my meds and drinking on weekends, I can easily break the bank. On my meds and drinking on weekends, I can blow a normal by Thursday. Add a few miles a day on the TM Monday Ė Friday and I can blow normal by Tuesday. On those rare weeks when I actually get 7 hours a night in the sack, I can do 130/78 by Monday.

Hope that helps.