Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Best arthritis pill with least side effects?

  1. #1
    shihah22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    165
    shihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura about

    Default Best arthritis pill with least side effects?

    I have a 78 grandma suffering from arthritis, what is best medication that's easy on the liver and kidneys? Her doc told her a few years ago that they all bad on the liver and kidneys and such and she is too scared to take them now. All she takes is Tylenol but it's just not cutting it. Thanks.

  2. #2
    QVC1212's Avatar
    QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    1,695
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

    It depends on whether it's osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. If it's osteoarthritis, drugs are the least important aspect of treatment. Acetaminophen may be all that's needed or aspirin or ibuprofen. Corticosteroids may be injected if necessary, and surgery helps when all else fails.
    If it's rheumatoid, the game changes. It's an autoimmune disease that attacks the joints, eventually destroying the joint's interior. Rest periods are often helpful. Diets rich in fish and plant oils but low in red meat can have minor beneficial effects on the inflammation. NSAIDS are the most common used drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as as aspirin, motrin, naproxen, mobic or toradol.)People usually begin with 2 325mg tablets four times daily but increase for sufficient relief. Antacids may be necessary to prevent ulcers.
    Less common are slow acting compound ssuch as gold, but they can severely affect liver and kidneys.
    Penicillamine has good effects similar to gold but may be used when gold is intolerable due to side effects.
    Hydroxychloroquine is used rather than gold or penicillamine if the RA isn't as bad.
    Sufasalazine is increasingly prescribed for RA. Like other slow-acting drugs, it can cause stomach upset, liver problems, blood cell disorders and rashes.
    Prednisone is the most dramatic and effective, usually reserve for short-term use because they lose efficaciousness over time.
    Immunosuppressive drugs like methotrexate and azathioprine and cyclophosphamide are also used for severe RA. But their side effects are potentially fatal.
    So, start with tylenol, then aspirin, and work your way up, according to your provider's instructions. Hope that helps.
    Also you didn't mention if it's psoriatic arthritis treatment for that includes gold, methotrexate, cyclosporine and sulfasalazine. etretinate can also be used.
    hope that helps.
    Helpful 2fortheshow, djrick Rated helpful
    Like fnh liked this post

  3. #3
    shihah22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    165
    shihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura aboutshihah22 has a spectacular aura about

    thank you for the very insightful message QVC. I'm not sure exactly what type of arthritis she suffers from but I'll find out and take it from there to help her with your information. thanks again.

  4. #4
    Polynikes666 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51
    Polynikes666 will become famous soon enough

    Quote Originally Posted by shihah22 View Post
    I have a 78 grandma suffering from arthritis, what is best medication that's easy on the liver and kidneys? Her doc told her a few years ago that they all bad on the liver and kidneys and such and she is too scared to take them now. All she takes is Tylenol but it's just not cutting it. Thanks.
    Her doctor should have been more careful with his phrasing. While it is true that no medication is without potential side effects, quality of life is an essential consideration. My suggestion: get her to see another doctor. Hopefully, he/she will explain the realistic consequences, and assure her that ongoing blood work will ensure that any liver/kidney ramifications will be minimal. A drugs usage can always be discontinued.

    Poly

  5. #5
    midnightcreeper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    148
    midnightcreeper has a spectacular aura aboutmidnightcreeper has a spectacular aura aboutmidnightcreeper has a spectacular aura aboutmidnightcreeper has a spectacular aura aboutmidnightcreeper has a spectacular aura about

    All arthritis medicine appears to be bad on the kidneys at high dosages. I agree her doctor should have been clearer on what he/she told her.The older we get the less stress our bodies can take. I would think medicines given at high dosages would stress your body pretty bad.

  6. #6
    gm62061's Avatar
    gm62061 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    30


    Default Mobic

    I have stenosis of the lower back, severe arthritis in my right foot, and both knees. I take 15mg of mobic daily and it helps to ease the pain.

  7. #7
    2fortheshow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    120
    2fortheshow has a spectacular aura about2fortheshow has a spectacular aura about2fortheshow has a spectacular aura about2fortheshow has a spectacular aura about2fortheshow has a spectacular aura about

    Quote Originally Posted by QVC1212 View Post
    It depends on whether it's osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. If it's osteoarthritis, drugs are the least important aspect of treatment. Acetaminophen may be all that's needed or aspirin or ibuprofen. Corticosteroids may be injected if necessary, and surgery helps when all else fails.
    If it's rheumatoid, the game changes. It's an autoimmune disease that attacks the joints, eventually destroying the joint's interior. Rest periods are often helpful. Diets rich in fish and plant oils but low in red meat can have minor beneficial effects on the inflammation. NSAIDS are the most common used drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as as aspirin, motrin, naproxen, mobic or toradol.)People usually begin with 2 325mg tablets four times daily but increase for sufficient relief. Antacids may be necessary to prevent ulcers.
    Less common are slow acting compound ssuch as gold, but they can severely affect liver and kidneys.
    Penicillamine has good effects similar to gold but may be used when gold is intolerable due to side effects.
    Hydroxychloroquine is used rather than gold or penicillamine if the RA isn't as bad.
    Sufasalazine is increasingly prescribed for RA. Like other slow-acting drugs, it can cause stomach upset, liver problems, blood cell disorders and rashes.
    Prednisone is the most dramatic and effective, usually reserve for short-term use because they lose efficaciousness over time.
    Immunosuppressive drugs like methotrexate and azathioprine and cyclophosphamide are also used for severe RA. But their side effects are potentially fatal.
    So, start with tylenol, then aspirin, and work your way up, according to your provider's instructions. Hope that helps.
    Also you didn't mention if it's psoriatic arthritis treatment for that includes gold, methotrexate, cyclosporine and sulfasalazine. etretinate can also be used.
    hope that helps.
    Hi @shihah22
    +1 on @QVC1212 's comments on RA.
    I found that Prednisone was especially effective in bringing my RA under control initially and now I take Hydroxychloroquine and Sufasalazine for maintenance. I also use a NSAID Diclofenac semi-frequently as well. As always, plenty of water also helps with potential liver/kidney problems.
    Hope things turn out ok.
    Cheers,
    2fortheshow.
    Helpful cajunbulldog Rated helpful

  8. #8
    cajunbulldog's Avatar
    cajunbulldog is offline Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern Usa
    Posts
    864
    cajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant future

    During my years of traumatic arthritis,from 1989 to present I have been on almost every over the counter and prescription drug for it and could not take it long because of my acid reflux. Oral steroids and shots were the only effective things for me. I recently had surgery to hope and reduce the cause of mine and I am currently healing now.
    Helpful scorpigoh Rated helpful
    Like djrick liked this post

  9. #9
    Gup's Avatar
    Gup
    Gup is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    80
    Gup will become famous soon enoughGup will become famous soon enoughGup will become famous soon enoughGup will become famous soon enough

    Quote Originally Posted by 2fortheshow View Post
    I also use a NSAID Diclofenac semi-frequently as well.
    In some cases, topical Diclofenac gel may be useful, as it get around some of the systemic side-effects. I've heard it's expensive, though.
    Helpful 2fortheshow, djrick Rated helpful

Similar Threads

  1. Best way to deal with the side effects of quitting Effexor
    By 1hotmamaG in forum Escaping depression and all about antidepressant medicines
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 02:08 PM
  2. Which of the sex pills (Viagra , Cialis, Levitra have the least side effects??
    By jiggerro in forum Erectile dysfunction and other sexual aid drugs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
  3. Antidepressant(s) with the least side effects?
    By thefinalresult in forum Escaping depression and all about antidepressant medicines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Protected by Copyscape CopySentry. Do not copy.