Thread: are cigarettes ok while on ambien

1. Default are cigarettes ok while on ambien

i want a smoke before bed, but i just took my ambien, may i still smoke?

2. Probably won't kill you but I wouldn't Might lead to more chance of respiratory repression or blood clots.

yep.. .no such contraindications.

4. You have some nerve....

Nicotine is a stimulant. If you want to smoke, don't ask for help from your doctor to make your life easier when you suffer the consequences.

Quit smoking and you will find it easier to sleep.

5. I'm interested in an answer as well. I had taken Lunesta for months, after that stopped working they switched me to AmbienCr. As far as the sleeping goes, its swell....BUT.

I've started taking it earlier, as it takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me. So I'll usually pop my pill and curl up with my hubby to watch a movie.

A few nights ago (after the Ambien had kicked in and I was feeling loopy) I decided to go out for quick nighttime smoke. Not three steps into the house I started violently vomiting.

That night, I chalked it up to the takeout, or maybe my CRPS, though pain vomiting is usually not as urgent. Anyway, it happened again this evening...at least I made it as far as the bathroom this time!

I've been on sleep aids for years, and Ambien CR for months; the same goes for smoking. Logically, its hard for me to come to a conclusion...but twice in a week with such similar circumstances worries me. Not to mention that vomiting is never pleasant.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    A user's account says that smoking while on Ambien cause him to experience double vision & mild disorientation. However the said effects disappeared once the nicotine wears off.

7. I can't smoke while on ambien. It makes me nauseous

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

There is no literature on medscape or sciencedirect to suggest that nicotine and ambien are contraindicated. However, from experience in a hospital, I can tell you that once they dispensed any sedative hypnotic such as ambien, the staff would not allow the patients to go downstairs and smoke. This was just a precaution because dizziness can be a side effect of ambien. Based on that logic, if you feel the need to smoke before bed, I would advise doing so before taking your ambien. You wouldn't want to trip and fall, etc. But as a former smoker, I can relate to your needing a cigarette before bed. Craving makes insomnia worse. I would advise a smoking cessation program, however, perhaps zyban and the patch. Once weaned off nicotine, you will find it easier to fall asleep. At least, that is some people's experience. But then, I suffer terrible insomnia.

After reading all of the replies in this thread, it's quite clear to me that some people have had negative experiences with combining Ambien & Nicotine/cigarettes. However, there seems to be no negative interaction between the two substances that's significant enough &/or experienced by enough people for professionals & such to officially recognize any contraindications. I've been prescribed Ambien by three different doctors before, & they all were certainly aware that I was a pretty heavy smoker, & I was never warned about combining Ambien & cigarettes.
    That said, however, regardless of whatever contraindications do or don't exist between Ambien & Nicotine/cigarettes, you should definitely be really cautious about smoking after you've taken Ambien until you've become very aware of how Ambien affects you. When people are just starting out on Ambien, it's not unusual for them to totally pass out the moment the Ambien starts working, & Ambien can start working as little as 15 minutes after you've taken it. Obviously, the last thing you want is to pass out with a lit cigarette in your hand. Additionally, it's best that you learn what -- if any -- side effects you experience from Ambien before "mixing it with" cigarettes.
    So I'd say that after you've become more familiar with how Ambien personally affects you, it's best that you try & have a cigarette right before you take your Ambien instead of having a cigarette afterwards. Once you've been on the medication for a bit longer, though, I'd personally say that it should be safe to smoke after you've taken Ambien.
    Helpful QVC1212 Rated helpful

realxsalo will become famous soon enoughrealxsalo will become famous soon enough

I discovered that smokin cigarretes kill my ambien buzz and also makes me nauseous and lightheaded
    Helpful Jnickum1 Rated helpful