NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1012 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Tramadol vs. ambien?

1. Default Tramadol vs. ambien?

I was prescribed to try both (not at the same time of course) by my doctor to help my insomnia, and from doing a bit a research it seems these are different classes of substances. My doctor said that some people respond better to one or the other.

Kinda confuses me as it seems the former is more for pain and the latter has benzo like effects.

I was just curious if anyone on the boards had any experiences/insight into these two drugs as sleep aids.

Thanks!

Relief from pain can be helpful with sleep. And Ambien is a well tolerated treatment for insomnia. They are often prescribed together.
    Although some patients find that taking tramadol too close to bedtime can affect their sleep patterns.
    Like DB Dicey liked this post

When you have tried both I would be interested in hearing from you which helped you more. I find it more difficult to fall asleep with Tramadol than without it.
    Dosis facit venenum

renwick is a jewel in the roughrenwick is a jewel in the roughrenwick is a jewel in the roughrenwick is a jewel in the roughrenwick is a jewel in the roughrenwick is a jewel in the roughrenwick is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by ambertch View Post
    I was prescribed to try both (not at the same time of course) by my doctor to help my insomnia, and from doing a bit a research it seems these are different classes of substances. My doctor said that some people respond better to one or the other.

Kinda confuses me as it seems the former is more for pain and the latter has benzo like effects.

I was just curious if anyone on the boards had any experiences/insight into these two drugs as sleep aids.

Thanks!
    The only reason this would make sense is if you are suffering from pain that is affecting sleep.

As @alumni mentioned, relief from pain can help you get to sleep. And tramadol is extremely effective for some people. If you are struggling with pain (e.g., neck, back, whatever), tramadol can give you just enough of a release from the pain to let you fall asleep and stay asleep.

But for me, tramadol (as well as codeine, dhc, hydrocodone, etc.) all keep me awake. The buzzy feeling seems to get me thinking about how to solve the world's problems. But by the next morning, the solutions don't seem to make as much sense

So if pain is keeping you from sleeping, it seems worthwhile to maybe try some tramadol, although I'd take it not less than 90 minutes before bedtime so that the energy feeling (which I get from it) wouldn't hit me as I was falling asleep. If there is no pain involved, I'd avoid any of the opiods/opiates for sleep.

5. I can only speak for Ambien: it works very well for me, no complaints. I have never had tramadol so I don't know how it is, either by itself or interacting with Ambien. I do know that Ambien is very effective by itself for insomnia.

UGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant futureUGAgal has a brilliant future

I do not see how tramadol works for sleep. I took tramadol back in April for 2 months along with my ambien. But I was on tramadol for pain my back and hip. I was told it was "non-addictive" and oh god the w/d's are horrible.

I have never had w/ds on ambien. Obviously when off it I have insomnia and I am currently off it but planning on just buying some from a supplier soon. I had severe chronic insomnia so I am pretty bad at times.

I will just say I would SERIOUSLY rethink trying tramadol for insomnia. I just do not see how it would make you that sleepy. Well it never did me so maybe it effects others differently. But the W/D's are horrible = i mean 3 or 4 days of PURE TORTURE......

Ambien on the other hand....while there are the side effects you definitely sleep nicely and not really have any w/ds from stopping the medication. Just my $.02

7. ambien for sure if u wanna avoid gettin hooked... tho i never tried tramadol for sleep im sure it would work for me.

8. Tramadol is OK for pain relief. Ambien is great for sleep. Just to forwarn you, though, Ambian can make you do strange things if you do not head to bed shortly after taking it. You may find you've had conversations you do not remember, eaten things you do not remember ...chased imaginary animals around the house. All kinds of fun stuff.

9. I've taken Tramadol but not for sleep and never noticed it making me drowsy. I do take Ambien and it works very well but it's kind of habit forming. It does make some people feel a little hungover the next morning but that would probably resolve itself over time.

10. Sorry - it was Trazodone, not Tramadol lol.

It's an antidepressant/anti-anxiety I guess, so that makes sense. It wasn't very effective for me compared to the Ambien though.

11. Was given a scrip for Tramadol for pain when I fell back in Nov. Didn't get it filled - didn't know what it was or if it would be any good. Is it good for pain? Just askin' (from UGA chick in Oxford, GA - 32 miles away.)

crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozlehead View Post
    Was given a scrip for Tramadol for pain when I fell back in Nov. Didn't get it filled - didn't know what it was or if it would be any good. Is it good for pain? Just askin' (from UGA chick in Oxford, GA - 32 miles away.)
    Really depends on the person taking it and probably level of pain, as well. It helps me, but some people say it doesn't help their pain at all.
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

core2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud of

Sorry - it was Trazodone, not Tramadol lol.

It's an antidepressant/anti-anxiety I guess, so that makes sense. It wasn't very effective for me compared to the Ambien though.
    Ok, that make sense. Tramadol has nothing to do with sleep so I was a little confused. However, Trazadone is terrible. First off it did'nt put me to sleep like Ambien and 2nd it gives you a terrible hangover feeling the next day. It's an old-school anti-depressant. Really crappy stuff IMO. It may work for you though

mustang will become famous soon enoughmustang will become famous soon enoughmustang will become famous soon enough

Trazadone is very old school. An SARI predeccesor to the SSRI. I don't see how in the world it could help you sleep or why anyone would even be prescribing it.

Tramadol might work for some for sleep as a pain reliever, but it is essentially an SNRI chemically and makes me wired personally.

Ambien is the best sleep agent I know of.
    Helpful UGAgal Rated helpful

Thanks!
    I can't imagine why your doctor would have prescribed you tramadol as a sleep aid Unless of course, you're not regularly prescribed any type of medication for pain or sleep and he/she thought that it might make you drowsy & less achy, thus helping you to rest better at night.
    Ambien is a non narcotic sleep aid. I believe it's in the class of drugs known as hypnotics. In my opinion, it is relatively mild; however, easy to develop a tolerance to. At least for me it has been. I take one 10mg pill each night at bedtime and it barely has any effect at all anymore. But, it was very effective whenever I first began using it about 6 months ago.