Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicodin and Ambien okay to be taken together

JOS× is offline Junior Member

Default Vicodin and Ambien okay to be taken together

I just got out of the ER and the doctor prescribed Vicodin and Ambien. I forgot to ask him how I take them while I was there, so is it okay to take both at once? What side effects should I expect?
    I also took another prescription for nausea called promethazine.

elizabeth f is offline Junior Member

Vicodin is for pain. Ambien is for sleep.

you will be fine!

take them about 30 minutes apart with a small bite to eat. apples are good

jarichon is offline Member

it is fine to mix these 2 drugs together just dont take so high of doses when you are mixing the 2 because it is not needed, because when you are on an opiate just about anything will boost the affect. Better to use Zolpidem.
    Last edited by jarichon; 11-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.

MikeALopez96 is offline Banned Reason: Shill reviews / trying to sell through PMs

OK..If you take the Vico in the morning or during the day and after you hit a Ambien at night you good!...also try vicodin with liquor ..that works

tinmuning is offline Moderator
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Interaction between Vicodin & Ambien:

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

jamesbooker1975 is offline Banned Reason: PillsforAll Shill
    jamesbooker1975 is on a distinguished road

I took it both together ones, I slept more that night ( like 5 hours more , lol )
    Last edited by jamesbooker1975; 10-19-2010 at 05:29 PM.

MikeALopez96 is offline Banned Reason: Shill reviews / trying to sell through PMs

LMAO...yeah both at the same time, you will sleep for days dude...

Wheels46 is offline Honorable Member
    Wheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to allWheels46 is a name known to all

Default Just don't throw another Benzo in there...

Vicodin and Ambien (at the prescribed dosages) should be fine, especially if the same Doctor prescribed them -- But remember, the "Heath Ledger" combo was Alprazolam (Xanax), Stilnox (Ambien), and Hydrocodone...
    Helpful blowingrock Rated helpful
    Gone is the soldier, gone to the wars...

QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

I would never take ambien again. The only traffic accident I ever got into was one I can't remember, thanks to that little magic white pill. Use extreme caution with ambien.

Vicodin? addicting, yes, especially for people like me. dangerous, not really imho.

Lombard441 is offline Member

just like they tell me at the methadone clinic. You are never supposed to take 2 downers or CNS depressants together, they more worry about opiates and benzos but ambien is the same thing, a CNS depressant, and with an opiate this COULD be dangerous. So be cautious

you could take both ...with out no problem

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

I just checked the drug interaction checker on medscape and vicodin and ambien found no interactions. But each medication by itself has risks, so I take issue with mikelopez' assertion that you can take them with "no problem". The vicodin by itself should be plenty to knock yourself out if the pain is too bad to sleep. Otherwise, it's safest to just use ambien. And just to reiterate, the only accident I've ever been in was after literally sleep-driving on too much ambien. Both of these medications carry considerable risk of dependence.
    Helpful Denguy58 Rated helpful

Tussin is offline Senior Member
    Both coasts and Down South, sounds hectic but it works for me.
    Tussin will become famous soon enoughTussin will become famous soon enough

Ambien is closley related to a benzo, vicodin of course is an opiate. In moderation this combination would not be a problem. Too much of either one mixed together can be life threatening. You need to know your limits. I have had several friends pass away with the bezo, opiate combo.

cindy01 is offline Member

I would not take them together at once. If you take you vicodin I would wait AT LEAST 4-6 hours after to take the ambien. But qvc said it the best when they said the vicodin should be enough to knock you out, if not take your vicodin ealry so you will not be in pain and then take your ambien late as you can before you need to sleep. When you mix to meds like that your ambien might not work for you as well when you only use it by itself after taking them both. Does that make sense to you, i dont know how well I explained it but when you combine them both it will make a stronger effect of sleepyness so when you stop taking the vicodin you might find the ambien not to be as effeciant.

ChefJohn48 is offline Member

always take the ambian before bed and after vics.

rollyfingerz is offline Member

take the vicodin and promethazine together and you most likely will not have to use ambien to go to sleep, ambien is very dangerous so be careful.

cosmofixed1 is offline Banned Reason: repeated advertising within weeks of joining the forum

I would be careful mixing anything. But those are pretty weak drugs so as a very non-professional opinion I think you'd be just fine.

996ttcab is offline Honorable Member
    996ttcab has a spectacular aura about996ttcab has a spectacular aura about996ttcab has a spectacular aura about996ttcab has a spectacular aura about996ttcab has a spectacular aura about996ttcab has a spectacular aura about

I have taken both. Ask doctor if you have concerns.

Denguy58 is offline Member
    Denguy58 is on a distinguished road

I've taken both of these at the same time about 20-30 min. apart and never had any problems. What I usually did was take the vicodin with some crackers. Lay in bed for a few minutes to see if I fell asleep, if not I reached over grabbed the ambien and took that as well, also with some crackers. A few minutes later I would literally pass out. But the most important part is that I woke up in the morning. Just don't take crazy amounts of doses. Take what the doc orders. Always play it safe...

@QVC1212....where is that drug interaction checker tool you mentioned? That could probably be a very useful tool to not only myself but a lot of our community. Could you please share that info if you can. Thanks!

@Denguy58 For some reason this didn't alert me to your request. Strange. A glitch in the system. Good thing I read so many threads. The easiest way to find it is to google: "medscape drug interaction checker" and it will be the first one to come up. Or visit:
    Medscape: Medscape Access

You may have to set up an account in order to use the drug interaction checker. Just fill out the form and select student and/or technician.
    Last edited by QVC1212; 04-01-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: how to sign up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast