NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 630 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used propranolol for treating hemangioma?

1. Default Has anyone used propranolol for treating hemangioma

My kid's dermatologist just offered us to use propranolol to shrink the hemangioma and make the bump flatter. My kid is 16 months old and her hemangioma is compound strawberry and it is on her forehead. Has anyone have any experience of taking that? How long does it take to see the result? Have you experienced any side-effects? As Dr. said the hemangioma has stopped growing and it may start shrinking on its own. But we want to consider the option of medication as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Helpful koko08g Rated helpful

Most hemangiomas are just left alone since they often shrink without any intervention. However, since this is on her forehead, it is advisable to do something about it. Steroids are usually the medication of choice, although surgery and laser can help. Propranolol is used for severe hemangiomas. Since what your baby has is more of a superficial one, then I don't think you would need it, especially at this young age. Most hemangiomas go away in a few weeks to months.

You may also want to ask a second opinion from another doctor on the right treatment.

Hope this helps.

3. Thumbs up Propranolol for Hemangiomas

My grandaughter has an 8 cm Hemangioma on the right side of her face within two months of birth. The cardiologist was asked to make sure her heart was not affected. It was not, however, he stated that he received propranolol for his grandaughter and it works. We then asked the pediatritian for it and that was back breaking. But after she spoke to the cardiologist she reluctlently agreed for two weeks. The hesitation is that there has not been enough testing for hemangiomas. Funny thing is the medication has been arounf for 40-50 years and the twelve babies that received it all cured. Additionally the only note is a few had lowered blood pressure, which is apparently what cuts off the blood flow to these growths. Steroids have side effects that can be major and surgery leaves scars for life. This drug was accidently found to work on hemangiomas when a doctor perscribed this medication to a set of twins with cardio issues, and had hemangiomas.
    Major change within 24 hours. Try this website www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=90203 the story is there with the results you are looking for.
    Thank you,
    Christinac
    I am not a doctor just passing info along. Also, search "Propranolol used for hemangiomas" There is much info including "The New England Medicine Journal"
    Good Luck!!!
    Like koko08g liked this post

4. Thank you for the site that you shared, it is so helpful. Thank you also for sharing the successful experience of our granddaughter. It's so kind of you.

5. Default My 3-month-old is on propanolol for hemangiomas

We just started my 3-month-old son on propanolol 6 days ago to treat multiple hemangiomas (he has 7 of them ranging from 1-2cm diameter.) They're not severe and would not normally be treated, but one is on his cheek and he has 3 others on top of his head, and I've been concerned he could bump or scratch them as he becomes more active.

Our pediatrician recommended we try propanolol, and last week I discussed it with my father-in-law, who is a cardiologist. He said propanolol is very safe for healthy people, and he recommended trying it.

We're seeing a dramatic difference already! The hemangiomas have faded, from a bright, deep red to a washed-out, ligher red color, and they're very soft now. My son's hands and feet are a little cool (since propanolol is a vasoconstrictor) but my father-in-law said his heart rate was fine and cool hands are nothing to worry about - just be glad he's being treated in the summer!

We started him on a low dose, 2mg/kg/day in divided doses, administered every 8 hours. I understand there' one trial underway at a 3-4mg/kg dose, but we started with the onservative amount and it seems to be working very well.

6. Quote Originally Posted by lunachick View Post
    We just started my 3-month-old son on propanolol 6 days ago to treat multiple hemangiomas (he has 7 of them ranging from 1-2cm diameter.) They're not severe and would not normally be treated, but one is on his cheek and he has 3 others on top of his head, and I've been concerned he could bump or scratch them as he becomes more active.

Our pediatrician recommended we try propanolol, and last week I discussed it with my father-in-law, who is a cardiologist. He said propanolol is very safe for healthy people, and he recommended trying it.

We're seeing a dramatic difference already! The hemangiomas have faded, from a bright, deep red to a washed-out, ligher red color, and they're very soft now. My son's hands and feet are a little cool (since propanolol is a vasoconstrictor) but my father-in-law said his heart rate was fine and cool hands are nothing to worry about - just be glad he's being treated in the summer!

We started him on a low dose, 2mg/kg/day in divided doses, administered every 8 hours. I understand there' one trial underway at a 3-4mg/kg dose, but we started with the onservative amount and it seems to be working very well.
    Hi,
    My 10week old baby is going into Yorkhill hospital tomorrow to have this treatment. She has 5 hemangiomas. One of which is growing inside the ball of her nose and has made her nose turn a bluish colour. She also has a very red one growing on the skin between her nostrils. The other ones are on her body and knee. I am worried about the treatment.

Can you tell me if the Propranolol is given orally?

Will this treatment hurt her?

How soon would we expect to see a difference?

Will it make the marks completely disappear?

How is your 3 month old son now?

I really hope this treatment works for both our children. We were told that it would only work whilst the hemangioma was still growing. Were you told that?

7. Smile 11 week baby on Propranolol for hemangioma

This is just an update to let people know what has been happening to my baby. She was born with 3 hemangiomas that have become larger and lumpy as she has got older (now only 11 weeks old). She has developed a further 2 small ones since birth. She was born with a tiny red mark on her nose between her nostrils. This has now gotten bigger by about 10 times what it was although it is still small. It had also turned lumpy. She also developed one that grew underneath the skin on the ball of her nose turning it a bluish colour. On 12/08/09 she was admitted to Yorkhill Childrens Hosptial for treatment using Propranolol. After about the 4th dose (which is administered orally) the hemangioma between her nostrild turned a very dark blue/black and we could see that the one under the skin on the ball of her nose had done the same thing. The one between her nostrils then proceeded to turn back to red however it did not appear quite as red as it had done before This change repeated itself another couple of times. It was very odd but the Doctors in the ward said that this was a good sign. We are now at home and give the baby 3 doses a day of Propranolol. About 1 hour after each dose her hemangiomas (particularly the nose ones) turn a very dark blue/black for a while and change from being very hot to touch (when red) to very cold (when blue/black). There is also a difference in the appearance of the hemangioma on her nose. We are sure it looks smaller, less bumpy and less veiny! I hope we are not willing ourselves to see this! We are taking photographs of the changes on the one on her nose as this is the one that concerns us most. We are attending the Hospital again on Wednesday 19th August. All I can say is that 4 days on and things are looking very hopefull.

8. Talking Progress update - my son age 3 months & 3 weeks

Hi There, just giving an update on my infant son's 7 hemangiomas. We started treatment with propanolol 3 weeks ago at 2mg/kg/day, divided into doses every 8 hours. We're using a liquid form of the medicine, given orally.

We have continued to see dramatic and consistent progress. All of the hemangiomas are smaller in diameter and paler in color than they were 3 weeks ago. One of the 3 on top of his head is nearly gone - it is now flat, and looks mottled where some of it is a pale pinkish-red, and the rest just looks like his normal skin color.

He had a very bright red one on his cheek that was raised about 6mm; that one is maybe 2mm high now and the red color is gone from parts of it (as above, it is reverting to his normal skin color, which is very pale.

We're seeing only subtle changes to the ones on his body, which were smaller and much flatter to begin with. I had assumed the smaller ones would be the first to disappear, and that may still happen, but at his point the really dramatic changes are to the ones that were originally largest, most prominent and raised.

My son has tolerated the medication very well - I really don't notice any side effects, other than slightly cooler hands and feet a little while (an hour or two) after each dose.

If the current rate of progress contines, I think the hemangiomas could be gone entirely in a few months. I'm very glad we decided to try this treatment!

9. Exclamation results after stoping the teraphy with propranolol

Hi!
    I have a 2 years old son that have, since birth, a plain hemangioma ("port wine stain") that covers the left side of his face (forehead, eyelid, nose, upper lip and a part of his cheeck). After finding that we are not dealing with Sturge-Webber-Krabbe syndrome (including angio-IRM at the age of 9 months)we start worry about his look. In order to obtain an improvement in his look, we started (at the age of 11 months) the laser-therapy. We have had nearly 30 sesions untill now with a good effect.
    We recentlly read about the use of propranolol in hemangiomas. We would like to start and we really want to know what happens after stop giving Propranolol to our child?
    Helpful Leslie5181 Rated helpful

10. Thumbs up Tracheal Hemangioma

My daughter was born with a very rare form of hemangioma which went undiagnosed for several weeks. The growth of the hemangiomas in her airway caused her to stop breathing. After many weeks of uncertainty as to why she kept stopping breathing, doctors performed a bronchoscopy on her only to find that she has them growing in her airway. They say she is one of about 20 children in the UK with this rare form of hemangioma. She started off with dexamethasone for 5 months and then the wonderful news of the propranalol. She has been taking it for 5 months now and she is 9 months old now and it has been great. Absolutely no side effects whatsoever. Compared to the dex this has been a welcome new treatment for her. Thanks to the medical world and the superb respiratory team at Southampton General Hospital she is living and breathing. Propranalol all the way!!!!
    Helpful Leslie5181 Rated helpful

Smile Propranolol for Hemangiomas

On 21 August 2009 my at that time 3 month old daughter was admitted to Yorkhill hospital with a large hemangioma on her tongue. We noticed it from about 5/6 weeks growing steadily and consulted our GP.We eventually got a referral to Wishaw general hospital. Consultant from Yorkhill saw her there and had her admitted immediately. She was given steroids for 3 days and started on Propranolol 3 x 4ml daily and Sytron as it had been bleeding. In the interim period she has had an MRI scan and an ultrasound scan. We noticed a marked reduction in the size of it up to ten days after the steroid treatment stopped. After that the hemangioma began to return to its original size despite the propranolol. We have just visited the consultant at Yorkhill today and he was surprised it had not reduced. We have to give it another 2 months and if no reduction in size is obvious then she may require surgery. We are still hopeful the Propanolol will work. Will keep updating with progress. I have been reassured with the previous comments on this thread.

12. Default Propranolol & baby hemangioma

Our ten week old granddaughter was put on propranolol at Children's Hospital in Seattle Washington on Friday ((6 days ago). She has three hemangiomas- two on her side and one on her nose. The one on her nose was growing rapidly, had become a dark almost maroon color and was surrounded by bruising beneath the skin. She was examined by two doctors - an ear nose throat doc and a cardiologist. Blood pressure was taken several times and she was given the propranolol. She returned every hour for the next three hours with no change in blood pressure. On the six hour drive home we stopped for a diaper change and all noticed that her nose was already looking better. We were worried that we were just being hopeful but it really had already changed in color to a more red color and was already going down in size. Every day it has continued to look better and better. Today at 6 days out it looks like she has a little rug burn on her nose and the big lump has shrunken down considerably. She has a whole new look to her beautiful little face! My daughter was sent home with a stethescope and was instructed to take her heart rate twice a day and to be sure it didn't drop below 120. It hasn't. We are incredibly grateful and excited about this drug and it's success. Our grandbaby is now part of a study being done at Children's Hospital by Dr. Perkins. We are anxious to see the results as they come out. Please consider this treatment before you have steroids! It has been a miracle for us.

13. Default Our baby girl

We began to notice a red spot on the corner of our babies nose a couple of weeks after she was born. It began growing and getting redder and also developing a bluish swollen bruise. This would be a compound hemangioma. Our derm. suggested propranolol. Like others, we were concerned because it was a new treatment for this. However, it is a very old drug and is safe to take. The dose is so small anyway. We spoke with a ped. cardiologist and they said it would be fine. The alternative was scarring surgery and steriods.

Anyway, we notice a difference after just one treatment. Like others had said, I wondered if the change was in my head. But, after I looked at photos I realized it definitely wasn't! The only side effect she had was cold feet and hands. That has gone away since she's gotten a little older.

She started the meds when she was two months old. One thing is to make sure the keep the dosage correct as your child begins to gain weight. It started to grow back when she had gained weight and they needed to up the dosage. You have to wait for the hemangioma to get out of its growth stage (9 months or so but there is no magic number) before you go off the meds or it will continue to grow again. We tried to take her off the meds when she was about 6 months but we notice it coming back so we put her back on it. She is eight months old now and we will try again soon. Her hemangioma has continued to shrink. Now, you hardly even see it anymore, and it was so huge!!! It's completely flat and very pale red. I HIGHLY recommend this treatment to anyone. HIGHLY...HIGHLY...HIGHLY!!! It is new for hemangiomas but the drug has been around forever and is soooo safe to take. To us, it's been a MIRACLE drug. We just thank God that our dermatologist was so willing to try this. Please email me if you have any questions or if you wanna see our babies progress in photos. I'm happy to share. I remember when I was so upset and scared and if I can help anyone feel better about this I am more than happy too.

14. Default 6 1/2 week old to have propanolol for hemangioma

My son is to be admitted this Friday 10/16/09 for propanolol treatment for a hemangioma on his face/ear. I am extremely nervous about this and what wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Is the propanolol started IV or orally? Any side effects anyone could tell me about? Any info would be helpful.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Propranolol appears to have impressive beneficial effects on severe hemangiomas of infancy, according to several medical articles. Withing 1 day, the hemangioma may show signs of responding favorably with the medication like exhibiting change in color & texture.

Oral propranolol is used for this indication. With regards to side effects in infants like hypotension and hypoglycemia, they are typically few and short-lived.

Default Use of Propanolol.

The only side effect my own daughter has had with the Propanolol is slightly cold feet and hands. She does not seem bothered by this and we tend to have extra socks on both her feet and her hands.

17. My son has now been on propanolol for 1 week. Within the first 24 hrs the swelling and redness decreased slightly, but since that occured I do not see much difference. Will it take more time to see change? From what I have read I feel like there should have been more progress already.

In response to Kelly 55. My daughter has been on Propanolol for almost three months for a Hemangioma on her tongue. There has been only a small reduction in size. The surgeon thinks the Hemangioma was in a rapid growing phase and the propanolol arrested the growth. It could be a similar scenario with your son. Hemangioma appear to grow rapidly in the early stages of formation and slow down over a period of time.

19. Hello. I have a 3 1/2 months daughter and she has one hemangioma on her chest. My doctor said about propanolol treatment for hemangioma but i need more to know about it. I am from Romania and here i didn't find anything about using propanolol in hemangioma treatment. I am really worried about this treatment because i heard that it is for blood preasure. Sorry for my english, but if can anyone to say more about what his doctor said about side effects.

20. Default users from Romania

I'm from Romania and i can tell you where to go to find information and get the treatenent for your child in secure condition!
    CONTACT ME at dr.raresstoian@yahoo.com
    Like amalia30 liked this post

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast