Thread: Why is epinephrine administered with local anesthetics

1. Default Why is epinephrine administered with local anesthetics

Does it prolong the effect of say (Lidocaine OR Bupivacaine)?

2. it is not so much to reduce bleeding

mainly it is to reduces the speed of at which the ANALGESIC (not anesthetic, it doesn't make you "unconscious") is diluted and "washed" away by blood flow

epinephrine is only used with local analgesics where there is a large flow of blood where it is administered (plenty capillaries)

for example often in dentistry the injection is given where the nerve is easily accessible (back of the jaw) although where the dental work is done has no epinephrine near it (for instance 2 or more molars away)

Similar Threads

1. Why is grapefruit taken with my Lovastatin a bad thing?
    By abfabinri in forum Heart medicines - Statins, Anticoagulants and Thrombolytics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 12:24 PM
  2. Why is is dangerous to mix cocaine with alcohol and also anti depressants and Zopiclone (Sleeping tablets).?
    By Romeo (786) in forum Overcoming anxiety, and all about anti-anxiety drugs and sedatives
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 05:25 AM
  3. why is chemotherapy administered in 7 doses?
    By chemo in forum Cancer drugs (antineoplastics)
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM
  4. how often is ketamine administered as an anesthetic for surgery?
    By opio-coca in forum Overcoming anxiety, and all about anti-anxiety drugs and sedatives
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
  5. Why is it I can never feel the effects of morphine like i can with percs or vicodin no matter how many pills?
    By Reflex in forum Fighting pain, and all about pain-killing drugs (analgesics)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM