NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1145 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Prescription Pain Meds and Drug Testing

Default Prescription Pain Meds and Drug Testing

I've been chatting with a friend who is a PA today. We have been discussing the usual stuff; health care. I have done some research on this so I know what's going on but was curious as to how many of you have heard/read about Ob's plan to cut back on opiod-based prescription drug use by 15%. My friend who works in palliative care based pain management told me that by sometime next year, ALL users of opiod-based meds will have to under-go random drug testing to ensure they aren't using other pain relieving medications. Is anyone having to endure this already? I know of only one person that has to do this as part of his agreement under his pain contract. It's just unbelievable how all of us have to pay a price for irresponsible individuals that fall into the trap and just can't resist getting high while the rest of us suffer in pain.

Depends on your doctor and history I think. Some will test you to make sure your taking the meds prescribed. Some are testing for other drugs pot, meth, benzos.

So to make sure you aren't taking additional opiates they would have to do the full expensive drug test, to differeniate. Depends what med your on though. Another additional pain for most people either way.

Quote Originally Posted by akl63 View Post
    Depends on your doctor and history I think. Some will test you to make sure your taking the meds prescribed. Some are testing for other drugs pot, meth, benzos.

So to make sure you aren't taking additional opiates they would have to do the full expensive drug test, to differeniate. Depends what med your on though. Another additional pain for most people either way.
    It seems sooo wrong to me to make people undergo further humiliation, unless a person really has a history of abuse, then I suppose there is worry the person will over dose. Basically they're saying the person can't be trusted to be responsible. And if they do find the person is taking something else, like pot, I can only imagine.

Yea its one thing if the person has a history. Another to just invade an honest persons privacy who doesn't have many choices besides going there is wrong. But sure the gov, wants to test everyone. Probably put your DNA of file too. J/K

I am a engineer who repairs the instruments that are used for drug testing and also at hospitals. I am familiar with the test "panels' also. Here is my summary. Most of the places I go to have drug panels for Preemployment drug testing . They are for many of the drugs you see sold on this site. No steroids unless specifially ordered. Most of the panels are the same for most of the manufacturers. You can have these drugs in your system and still pass as there is a "cuttoff" point. The equipment manufacturer and the assay maker want there to be a defiant 100% point were they will say there is a Positive. If they see a positive then they have to retest again (they do not want to get sued by a person who was fingered by a faulty test). I will look up the list of tests and panels.

Steve
    Helpful SpaceMatters, IGoeOn Rated helpful

For sure with THC there is a threshold that you'd have to be over. If you weren't over the threshold and got fired or something, you'd have legal recourse. They can retest you, but the it won't matter unless you took more pot to put you over the threshold.

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

I have been randomly drug tested for around 7 years. Every pain clinic in this tri-state area I live in does random testing. In fact, right before I left my last pain clinic they decided to start testing every month (before that they were testing me about every other month).

I have no problems with it. If they are going to give me two Schedule 2 meds, benzos, sleeping meds, lyrica, promethazine, etc. then the least I can do is make the doctor feel better that I'm taking only what he prescribes and that I'm not selling.

I don't agree with drug testing to get jobs (except for certain jobs) or random testing on high school kids, but yeah, if a PM doctor is going to give me a bunch of medicines I don't mind peeing in a cup for him a couple of times a year. Of course, it has been like this since I started PM management so I don't know how I'd feel if I had been taking pain medicines for years w/o having to take a urine test and then all of the sudden had to take one.

I don't see it as my doctor not trusting me; I see it as a way for him to cover his butt if the DEA decides to go through his files. I don't want to see him lose his livelihood because he didn't test.
    Like alumni, SpaceMatters liked this post

Lemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I've been chatting with a friend who is a PA today. We have been discussing the usual stuff; health care. I have done some research on this so I know what's going on but was curious as to how many of you have heard/read about Ob's plan to cut back on opiod-based prescription drug use by 15%. My friend who works in palliative care based pain management told me that by sometime next year, ALL users of opiod-based meds will have to under-go random drug testing to ensure they aren't using other pain relieving medications. Is anyone having to endure this already? I know of only one person that has to do this as part of his agreement under his pain contract. It's just unbelievable how all of us have to pay a price for irresponsible individuals that fall into the trap and just can't resist getting high while the rest of us suffer in pain.

I have being doing this ever since I have been in PM. I get tested almost every visit...even though I have seen the same doc for four years now and never asked for an early fill, never failed a test, etc. It is also at a cost of $50 to me each time. The total cost of the test is billed at $1500 to my insurance! I think it is excessive at this point, but I need my meds, so I put up with it!!!!

Wow you literally are just pissing away money.
    The place I went so expensive already, I wouldn't have even been able to pay $50 more a month. Them charging me all that upfront, I wanted to tell them outright they were gonna force me to find a drug dealer.
    Like SpaceMatters liked this post

cajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant futurecajunbulldog has a brilliant future

Luckily my primary is trying to keep me out of a pain clinic so no test for me except for work if they ask.