NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1049 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is neurontin the same as lyrica

1. Default is neurontin the same as lyrica

Lyrica is very expensive but Neurontin is very cheap, can I switch from Lyrica to Neurontin?

2. You can, but it might not help. I was on another brand of Gabapentin and all it did was conk me out. Then my Doctor gave me the Lyrica, as it was new to the market and I have never looked back. Remember what works for one, may not work for another as we are all individuals. Best of Luck

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Lyrica is similar to Neurontin---let's just say that the former is the stronger cousin. However, if your doctor prescribed Lyrica, then you cannot interchange it with Neurontin without doctor's advice. First, they may be related but they are still 2 different drugs, thus the dosage aren't the same. Let's say you were prescribed to take 100mg of Lyrica, would you know on your own which would be the corresponding dose for Neurontin?
    Helpful Demona Rated helpful

4. Its strange--I actually felt that the Gabapentin was stronger than the Lyrica.

5. It may be the dosage you are on. I was on lyrica for awhile the doc started me out with 75mg twice a day then bumped me up to 150mg twice a day.

Nueroton came before lyrica and has generics thats why its alot cheaper.
    I had to stop Lyrica because of the side effects. I stayed tired alot and was hungrey all the time and would forget alot of stuff.

Lemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura about

I am on nuerontin now for fibro. They tried Lyrica first but the side effects darn near killed me...or at least made me feel like I wanted to die The nuerontin has worked pretty good at this point, but I still wish I could get better relief from something that did not cause drowsiness.

7. Hey leamon head,are you taking any pain meds along with the nueroton? After I told my doc about all the side effects the lyrica was giving me and I stoped taking them on my on. My doc never even suggested that I try to take nuroton[spellin lol}.
    Anyhow I also take hydros but I do have some nerve damage that the hydro really dont do anything for. I may ask him about nueroton.

Did you get any side effects from the nueroton?

Lemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura aboutLemonhead has a spectacular aura about

@bobbylayne

Yes, I also take Lortab and zanaflex (which is a muscle relaxer). The only side affect I had on neurontin is that it made me very drowsy. I take 1200mg a day, but I had to work up to that amount over a period of six months. I already suffer major fatigue from the fibro, so added that to it took some adjusting. Now that I am used to it, it rarely makes me sleepy anymore.

My doc said that Lyrica is related to neurontin, but Lyrica is much stronger. I am no expert, though, so I might not be saying that right! Since I just could not deal with the Lyrica, he switched me and it really has helped with my nerve pain. My theory is that ANY relieve...even just a little....is worth trying!

Good Luck talking to your doc!

SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by tinmuning View Post
    Lyrica is similar to Neurontin---let's just say that the former is the stronger cousin. However, if your doctor prescribed Lyrica, then you cannot interchange it with Neurontin without doctor's advice. First, they may be related but they are still 2 different drugs, thus the dosage aren't the same. Let's say you were prescribed to take 100mg of Lyrica, would you know on your own which would be the corresponding dose for Neurontin?
    Hi Lemonhead. I agree w/tinmuning. Definitely would not switch w/out doctors ok and dosage directions.

My understanding about these two drugs is going to sound embarrassingly vague but maybe it will be enough for your doc to explain it to you better.

Both of these drugs impact a chemical in our brains. One drug is the man-made version of the chemical and the other drug is one which is a precursor (or what is used by our brains) to make the brain chemical.

Course I don't know which drug is which and I don't know what is the exact name of the brain chemical in question. Anybody? Also feel free to tell me I am completely wrong too, if that is the case. Maybe I will go google and come back.

@Fireplaces

I only tried Lyrica for a few days and I had such severe reactions that my doc took me off very quickly and then moved me to neurontin.

Some people love Lyrica and it changes their lives, but for me, the reactions were very, very scary! I will never try it again. I wish it did work, though!!!

sinnersdinner will become famous soon enoughsinnersdinner will become famous soon enough

Default Morontin....

Thats the pet name for neurotin. You can look it up on Erowid and see the varied responses and experiences with gabapentin. For some people it's a life saver during opiate withdrawals, other just feel like it makes them stupid. Hence the nickname.

SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    One of the PM docs I went to once just to see what he would say (in 2003 maybe) scripted Neurotin and and EMG on my neck.

I researched Neurtotin and printed out pages and pages and then some more, of reported side effects. Most of the side effects seemed worse than my neck pain. So I handed the binder to my PCP and said, one could not pay me to take this drug.

But my pain is different than others who find the drug useful. And everyone's body is different. I was also watching my mom's physical and mental deterioration at the time and was not up to taking any chances.

@Lemonhead, you gotta use the drug that works better for you. I might have gotten lost a bit on the thread, but is the concern that the med which works (neurotin?) for you is more expensive than lyrica? Or are you just trying to understand the difference between the 2.

I don't like relatively new system wide drugs. They worry me.

sinnersdinner will become famous soon enoughsinnersdinner will become famous soon enough

@Fireplaces: Hey Meon - I've noticed that doctors who treat patients in pain management are pushing gapapentin on those who have been on opiates, like hydro and the time released morphine for years.

I personally know two people, both with chronic back situations, both work-related injuries in which they got "lifetime medical" as part of their workman's comp settlement. One had a knee injury, and after he had knee replacement surgery about two years ago, about a year after, the doctors made the decision to wean him off the morphine and the hydro and replaced it slowly with Neurotin, Voltaren and Bencar (for the diarrhea) and 1/2 the doseage of hydro. I have no doubt they will stop the hydro at some point.

The other was a FedEX driver that got hit by a car back in 2004, he's my next door neighbor, so I've also watched as his doctors did the same thing - only they eventually replaced all his opiates with Methadone and Ambien CR.

Pretty interesting, but I guess not that surprising since being in Pain Management is a long-term, if not lifetime commitment and I don't really know what taking opiates with all that acetaminophen does to your body for years on end.
    Last edited by sinnersdinner; 05-02-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: words in the wrong place

Well I think it's been proven that opiates will not kill you unless you OD; the problem w/them is that they stop working. But that can be managed. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and some opiates. Works and no need to feel deprived or in pain unnecessarily.

As pain is already unnecessary. Sure, maybe it's sending us a signal, BLAH, BLAH. But if it's chronic, it's like we get the message already.

I am so annoyed that opiates are some new evil. They are just a tool. Like so many things are out there. Like the stick to the chimps for getting termites.

Why say one tool is worse than another. It's not the opiates that are bad. It's all those strong anti-inflammatories that the docs want to give us instead. So some APAP in hydro is not ideal but if you take a reasonable amount, and get regular blood tests, one should be ok. It's the stomachs that go bad in a second, much faster and with less warning than our livers and kidneys.

So WTF? Why don't the docs care about our stomachs? I guess they only care about alphabets. And all those guys care about is funding.

Sorry for typos. Time for dinner.

Fire

Default Absolute truth

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplaces View Post
    Well I think it's been proven that opiates will not kill you unless you OD; the problem w/them is that they stop working. But that can be managed. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and some opiates. Works and no need to feel deprived or in pain unnecessarily.
    Fire
    and I've experienced this in my own life. Not because I'm a CP patient, but because I'm old and like to hurt myself playing polo on the weekends. Over the years, I've had my knee reconstructed, cracked ribs, torn rotator cuffs, bumps and bruises too numerous to count that comes with playing the game or being kicked or stomped on by horses. That's not going to stop me from doing what I love.

But your so right, a small dosage worked for years, then it stopped being effective, so what to do, take more, or take something else with them? I'm finding that one you that, you can never go back. Something I wish I had known beforehand, but thats my burden to bear.
    She was outspoken, but by whom? - Dorothy Parker

16. You can, but it might not help. I was on another brand of Gabapentin and all it did was conk me out. Then my Doctor gave me the Lyrica, as it was new to the market and I have never looked back. Remember what works for one, may not work for another as we are all individuals. Best of Luck

DarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the rough

You could try, but a lot of people notice Neurontin doesn't help them much or at all- But the same thing also goes for Lyrica. For me between the two, lyrica actually helped more but caused bad side effects, so I opted for gabapentin (neurontin) instead which doesn't help as much, but at least doesn't have the same side effects! The dosages between the two are quite different, so keep that in mind too; also a lot of people notice neurontin doesn't do much of anything at low dosages and works far better at higher dosages.

18. My husband was suffering from nerve pain in his jaw and was given Lyrica. It didn't do anything for him. He was next perscribed Neurontin and he is fine taking the lowest dose. It is a case of what works for one person does not for another.

Ilovemyson has a spectacular aura aboutIlovemyson has a spectacular aura aboutIlovemyson has a spectacular aura aboutIlovemyson has a spectacular aura aboutIlovemyson has a spectacular aura aboutIlovemyson has a spectacular aura aboutIlovemyson has a spectacular aura about

They both are junk imo, I had a cervical disk blow out and was given these drugs for a year with zero success, one difference though is that Lyrica is way too expensive, so if you want to try one try the Gabapentin. I took 1,600 mg a day for nerve pain, It didnt help at all. Eventually I had to take pain meds and just recently had surgery, but I cant recommend these drugs as they worked less than ibuprofen for my pain. Everyone is different and I hope someone finds relief with these meds.

That is the problem with many of these new fangled drugs, they are expensive, and they don't work for all kinds of pain, where old fashioned, and cheap opiates work for more varieties of pain, unfortunately they have a side effect that TPTB don't like---euphoria, which of course can lead to abuse by those vulnerable to it. There are strategies for avoiding addiction, and keeping the consumption of opiates down, but most Doctors appear not to want to do the monitoring that these strategies require preferring to keep out of the DEA's way, and make the drug companies happy by prescribing very expensive, and not entirely efficacious, new drugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast