NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 991 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beating withdrawals with Gabapentin (Neurontin)

RealGrapey is offline Banned Reason: Shilling for painmedsonly.com
    Currently Phoenix Arizona, Hometown is the San Fran Bay Area.
    RealGrapey will become famous soon enoughRealGrapey will become famous soon enough

Default Beating withdrawals with Gabapentin (Neurontin)

Hello, I thought I would share this bit of information with you all, the info being my method to nearly completely beat withdrawals when coming off of opiates, or at least helping with the withdrawals a great deal. I HIGHLY recommend Neurontin (Gabapentin) To help with the withdrawals.
    --> Here is the trick, you have to take a dose far above the normal range to notice the awesome effects that this drug can induce. They come in 300mg capsules normally, and one should take 7-10 of these to get the desired effects (in the 1,800 plus range). If you do your own research, you will find, as I know, that it is very hard to overdose on this stuff, and it is perfectly safe to take this much, trust me on this, it is well documented that this is safe. In general higher amounts of Gabapentin produces a pretty nice feeling for me. It really does calm you down and lift your mood and gives you a nice little buzz. It also makes food taste GREAT which is an interesting effect that I associate overall with the fact that it makes you feel pretty good also. If you use a combination of Gabapentin with some clonadine, and at night some type of sleeping aid such as trazadone I guarantee that you will have much more success coming off of opiates and withdrawals will be greatly diminished. This, in my opinion, is the best way to come off. Far less risky than using another Opiate such as Suboxone, which if used too long will make you wind up with worse withdrawals than you would have had off of shorter acting opiates. Its really something worth considering and it is a method that has gotten me off more smoothly than I could ever imagine before. Anyone else have any opinions on this or have tried taking larger amounts of Neurontin during withdrawals? I think this is a little known wonder cure for withdrawals and I would love to share this information for anyone needing help in this area. - Real
    Helpful Vidalia, robcos, Maggiemaie, drboris Rated helpful
    Like johnnylarue35 liked this post

2. What opiates are you using gabapentin to come off of? It seems this discovery would have already been made, but as the song goes "whatever gets you through the night".
    Helpful cotin Rated helpful

Default Opiate Withdrawl

My doctor put me on Neurontin for migraines. I took 900mg a day for over a year. It did help with sleep but did do much for my migraines. I became physically dependent on this drug. When I stopped using Neurontin, my legs and feet felt like they were on fire. At first I didn't realize it was the Neurontin. Then one day I decided to take 300 mg and it took all that horrible burning away. It took me probably six months before I could stop taking it and be able to live with the burning sensation. I told my doctor and she didn't feel that Neurontin was causing this, but I know that it was. I contacted the manufacturer and they just took my complaint. I have researched this drug and still have found nothing that I could show that this drug caused my problems.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 2 minutes after the last post:*

I also noticed that you were trying to get off of opiates. I noticed that you are taking clonadine. The key to opiate withdrawl is keeping your blood pressure down and clonadine will work. But, you have to use a high enough dose to keep you out of misery. Once you have established the correct dosage for your situation, you may find that you are very weak and can barely function. That is because your blood pressure will be running very low. But, you won't be suffering the horrible aches and pains that accompany opiate withdrawl. Also, Darvons are given with the clonadine and will be tapered off. But you should remain on clonadine for at least 60 days.
    Last edited by Debbie1989; 05-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.

4. A word of caution-Gabapentin will make one extremely forgetful. I have been on it for 5 yrs, as it has a potentiating effect on SSRI's. It gives a weird kind of buzz, although it doesnt have a tolerance increase component to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RealGrapey View Post
    Hello, I thought I would share this bit of information with you all, the info being my method to nearly completely beat withdrawals when coming off of opiates, or at least helping with the withdrawals a great deal. I HIGHLY recommend Neurontin (Gabapentin) To help with the withdrawals.
    --> Here is the trick, you have to take a dose far above the normal range to notice the awesome effects that this drug can induce. They come in 300mg capsules normally, and one should take 7-10 of these to get the desired effects (in the 1,800 plus range). If you do your own research, you will find, as I know, that it is very hard to overdose on this stuff, and it is perfectly safe to take this much, trust me on this, it is well documented that this is safe. In general higher amounts of Gabapentin produces a pretty nice feeling for me. It really does calm you down and lift your mood and gives you a nice little buzz. It also makes food taste GREAT which is an interesting effect that I associate overall with the fact that it makes you feel pretty good also. If you use a combination of Gabapentin with some clonadine, and at night some type of sleeping aid such as trazadone I guarantee that you will have much more success coming off of opiates and withdrawals will be greatly diminished. This, in my opinion, is the best way to come off. Far less risky than using another Opiate such as Suboxone, which if used too long will make you wind up with worse withdrawals than you would have had off of shorter acting opiates. Its really something worth considering and it is a method that has gotten me off more smoothly than I could ever imagine before. Anyone else have any opinions on this or have tried taking larger amounts of Neurontin during withdrawals? I think this is a little known wonder cure for withdrawals and I would love to share this information for anyone needing help in this area. - Real

RealGrapey will become famous soon enoughRealGrapey will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdog View Post
    What opiates are you using gabapentin to come off of? It seems this discovery would have already been made, but as the song goes "whatever gets you through the night".
    I dont think its any "new" discovery. I believe they have given out gabapentin and as debbie mentioned darvocet in order to ease withdrawals for people. Ill have to do some more research and give sources but it helped me with OC withdrawal and also it helped me allot with kratom withdrawal. I know kratom is weaker but the withdrawals are no fun and gabapentin helped allot.
    Helpful Vidalia Rated helpful

6. It does seem to ease opiate withdrawal, but personally I think It's a bit over hyped. Remember gabapentin is highly addictive along the terms of alcohol/benzos so make sure you stop using after the opiate detox is complete.

<edit> also don't underestimate the power of Loperamide, there's more too it than just stopping the runs. It actually works as a non-cns opioid agonist, so can help significantly with other body discomforts you may experience.
    Last edited by TJF; 05-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Helpful drboris Rated helpful

@RealGrapey I was surprised to see your post. I had never heard anyone else ever mention this before, but I could have very well have missed it I someone had.

I too have had tremendous success with easing WD's with Gabapentin. It's little brother or child Lyrica has worked even better for me with less side effects personally.

I tend to get shaky on Gaba and do swell up (as noted as possible side effect) enough to be bothersome. Lyrica is much easier on me but does make me feel a bit drunk.

I have used Lyrica in place of a regular dose if running low on meds and have been successful in replacing all opiates for an entire day without what would be a very uncomfortable WD day. I have used in place of hydros and OC's both with the same effect.

The biggest drawback is I am taking pain meds for a reason...the pain relieving effects of Gaba and Lyrica are not even close to knocking down the pain to a level that I could sustain a decent quality of living.

I don't use the Lyrica or Gaba regularly and don't know if the helping effects would reduce over time? I don't know if it would stave off WD's for hours, days, weeks. I don't plan to ever count on them to stop taking opiates. I do think that I will discuss this with my doctor when the time comes that I am able to function without meds and that it has helped to reduce the amount I have to take from time to time.

Now I am just rambling! Thank you RealGrapey for your post!

MJ

Is this medication prescription only? And does it help with sleep disorders as in can't fall asleep? Ive heard others talk about it but I never really took the time to learn about it. I have used Trazadone for sleep problems and that worked well. It would be crapy to replace one addiction with another,if that is what it does. I would like to learn more if anyone has more to share.

9. I was prescribed gabapentin by my doc to boost or enhance the effects of my antidepressant. He is an addictionologist, and he mentioned nothing about it being addictive. And he hates tramodol.

DarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the rough

@RealGrapey Actually what you're describing isn't "far above the dose range" for Gabapentin (Neurontin), you don't have to make it sound that way and scare people away from the method! I'm actually prescribed 600mg tablets (yes, not capsules- confused me too at first.) It's completely normal for people with nerve pain or other problems gabapentin is indicated for to take 1200-1800mg sometimes, although those are the very high end of the dose range.

But since someone has mentioned gabapentin, I guess I might share about opioid withdrawal medication combos that are actually quite a bit more effective than high-dose gabapentin alone. These combinations are ONLY indicated for people with very high tolerances to opioids- Moderately high referring to say 240mg oxycontin a day or its equivalents; people lower really don't need the kinds of cocktails or combinations I'm talking about. This sort of protocol could also knock a person withdrawing cold off 240mg oxycodone per day on their butt, so, exercise caution.

-Clonidine, 0.1mg or 0.2mg strength, up to every six hours.
    -Gabapentin 600-1600mg up to every four hours.
    -Any muscle relaxant, such as Baclofen 20mg up to every six hours, Robaxin up to every 4 hours, or Flexeril 10mg up to every four hours.
    -Any benzodiazepine, such as klonopin 1-2mg every 4-6 hours, xanax 1-2mg every 4-6 hours, ativan 1-2mg every 4-6 hours, or valium 20-40mg every 6 hours.
    -Antiseizures/Antispasmodics as needed, such as Tegretol 100-200mg every 8 hours, or Topamax 20mg every 8 hours.
    -Immodium AD, 10-25 capsules every 12 hours, if you can swallow them all. Any amount will help, even just one or two capsules as indicated on the box. It is not harmful to dose immodium AD heavily in this way because it is simply an opioid that does not cross the blood brain barrier, so it will stop diarrhea by connecting to receptors in the colon and intestines.
    -Any sleeping medication, preferably an antipsychotic tranquilizer like Seroquel, 25-200mg, although ambien 20mg or Lunesta 3mg will help but probably not put one to sleep, just cause grogginess.
    -Any antiemetic (that is, anti-nausea medications) such as Zofran 4mg, or Phenergen, 25mg as needed.

Again, this is a STRONG protocol that only people going through high-dose opioid withdrawals would really ever need to use. A lot of people tend to think their tolerance is "high" when it's really not all that high, so exercise EXTREME caution.. like I said, these kinds of medications combined would probably knock a person coming straight off 240mg oxycodone a day out cold.

@diggerdog Yeah diggerdog they don't seem to mention it can be addictive, they didn't when I was prescribed it. Its not addictive in the sense that you crave it, I was never addicted because I didn't take it everyday. I think like anything else it can just mess with your brain chemistry a bit and make you dependent. Like I said above at higher doses it does have a nice effect, makes my day better and makes me feel pretty good generally. It also definitely helps with withdrawals as Mammyjeans said, especially between or for skipping doses. I discovered this when I was in withdrawal and very uncomfortable, then I read about how Gabapentin can help on bluelight.ru. I tried it at higher doses as recommended. And then BAM! Withdrawals basically gone and I felt really pretty good. i said then and there this is a miracle drug for withdrawals. - Real

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 4 minutes after the last post:*

@overtherainbow Wow man that's quite the combo there for bad withdrawals. I think doing all that you could sail through withdrawals so long as you don't get dependent on the benzos or anything else. Great cocktail my friend it sounds like a real winner!
    Last edited by RealGrapey; 05-18-2011 at 07:18 PM.

12. I remember a dopey disassociative feel to it at first, but that went away. In fact, i quit it after a high daily dose of 5 yrs due to memory problems. I experienced no withdrawals or cravings, but in fairness, i never tried it for withdrawal relief of narcotics. Good info to know.

I hate when theres not much info as to how a med works. But if they say its safe and effective for short term use, then maybe its good.

14. Do you think Gab will help with Subutex withdrawals? I'm trying to get off subs after about 2 years of 16-24 mg a day. I've tapered it down to 8-12 a day now but it's F'in with me and i want off it, i just can't afford time off from work and need to function at least 50% of normal capacity. I've experienced Opiate withdrawal once and am terrified to face sub withdrawal as everyone says it's way worse...

Moving this useful thread to the "dependency and withdrawal" forum

16. Quote Originally Posted by nunyabidnit View Post
    Do you think Gab will help with Subutex withdrawals? I'm trying to get off subs after about 2 years of 16-24 mg a day. I've tapered it down to 8-12 a day now but it's F'in with me and i want off it, i just can't afford time off from work and need to function at least 50% of normal capacity. I've experienced Opiate withdrawal once and am terrified to face sub withdrawal as everyone says it's way worse...
    Wow,first off you are on way to much subs. Some of these docs are just in it for the money.

When you first inducted on subs you would have been fine on 4mg or at 6mg tops.
    So my advice woud be to taper down 25% every 5th day. If you are stable and not having any withdraw symptoms then reduce another 25% and remain at that dose for 5 days or until you are stable. Stable meaning 3 staright days with no withdraw symptoms. Then just keep reducing 25% at a time until you Are down to .25mg a day then you skip a day ten take .25mg then skip 2 days then take .25 mg then you are done and it should be mostly painless.

sbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to beholdsbg is a splendid one to behold

I too have noticed a large reduction in opiate withdrawal symptoms from taking gabapentin . I was prescribed it to treat nerve damage some years ago along with hydros. After running out of my pain meds several years ago, I started having wd symptoms such as restlesness, anxiety, severe pain, and the rest of the horrible symptoms .In an attempt to lessen the pain I was in, I took a bit more gabapentin and much to my very pleasant surprise, the wd symptoms more or less went away. I dont think it helped the pain much to be honest, but I was able to relax and feel normal . It was and has been a true lifesaver. I do go on and off of it and have never had any withdrawal symptoms from stopping gabapentin ,although I have heard plenty of people say the opposite. I can only guess that it has different effects on different people . I also have heard that some people do not see a benefit from it regarding opiate withdrawal . It does work for me , and works very well . It does not get rid of the craving or the increased pain level , but definitely helps with the other effects which to me are the worst of it .

18. I took Neurontin for nerve pain after an accident that damaged my spine. The nerve pain was intense and the doctor had me up to 4800mg/day.

Oddly enough I didn't experience any relief at all... nor did I have any side affects. I should have been walking around in a fog, but I was fine.

Eventually I decided to stop taking it and would have just stopped cold-turkey, but I did some reading and found out that one must taper off of neurontin or risk seizures. Be careful with this drug please.
    Helpful lucid_nicole, Squelix, akl63 Rated helpful

19. I took Gabapentin once when I was going through Norco w/ds. I only took one but I noticed that it did easy my w/d symptoms. Trazadone has never done much for me, just makes me feel like I am hung over. I would be interested in trying a larger dose of Gabapentin for w/d symptoms and seeing how it works. The best combination I have found so far is Ambien and Valium. I was able to come off of MS Contin and Percosets cold turkey with hardly any w/ds using Ambien and Valium.

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    A couple of years ago my psychiatrist prescribed Neurontin for me while tapering down off of Xanax.I can't say that it helped me as I was tapering down from 4mgs daily to 2mgs.
    & I don't know if it was the Neurontin or if I did it on my own.I only took it for about 2wks.
    Helpful Keith K Stone Rated helpful

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast