NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 848 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Semantics of Addiction (Ultram)

1. Just came out of an "incident" involving lots of pain, I won't go into the details, but got injured when hiking and that left me needing of tramadol for about 7 days straight, the first time I've ever taken it back-to-back days. I really learned a lot about how my back pain governs my use.

And here I am, once again, looking at a new day, trying to start getting work done without the "benefits" of tramadol, and what comes creeping in before even the "pill genie," but that little twinge of sciatic pain, a little at my S1 disc and a little in my shin.

It's been said before in this thread, but yeah, pain management plays a huge role in whether I get to tell myself I am dependent entirely as a function of pleasure.

2. I just wanted to answer one part of your original post that I don't believe anyone has touched on yet... But NO refilling your 30 day script every 60 days will not make anyone look at you funny or suspect anything! That part made me chuckle, but not in a condescending way. Now that I think about it though, my next door neighbor is a pharmacist and said she looks at people funny when they fill their ambien scripts every month... Which confused me. A one month supply should be a one month supply. Oh well! Just wanted to add my 2 cents!
    Helpful SpaceMatters Rated helpful

3. That two cents is very well taken. It's funny, I asked for some Ambien from my doc and she warned about it's addictability. Of course, no worries with the Tramadol. But I'm not concerned. I take Ambien MAYBE once a month. I would say it's danger isn't addictiveness, but dissociation. It makes you crazier than LSD.

Back on topic though, I ran out of Tramadol well before even my latest 30 day supply ran out because I was genuinely using it to combat pain from this "incident." Now I need it filled and I'm desperately trying to wait until after the new year. Today, the 19th of December, is 31 days since I had it filled, that would be the shortest ever.

If I wind up asking to have it filled, I will let everyone know if I have any troubles. Part of me just wants to order from an online pharmacy to avoid all this, but at the same time it's all in my head.

I just don't want my doctor to say, "nah...I think you just need Ibuprofin from now on." Then I'd be like, "I ****ed it up!"

10000mg will become famous soon enough10000mg will become famous soon enough10000mg will become famous soon enough

I have experience taking Ultram/tramadol. I've never heard of it before my doctor prescribed it when I was trying to get some hydrocodone. I didn't think it would do anything until I tried it and I was quite impressed with it. I eventually upped my dose to about 300mg at a time and that’s when I knew it was time to stop (many months later). I really enjoyed taking it but it started getting in the way of LIFE. Be careful coming off of it too, It can leave you feeling miserable if not tapered down properly. The doctors claim it's not addictive but they're full of shit.
    Helpful jettagirl Rated helpful

5. Wow, thanks 1000mg.

I came here to post an update. For the first time ever, I went FOUR DAYS on this. I was pretty upset with myself.

I simply could not survive "day two" of going cold turkey. The first day is a piece of cake, probably because it is still in my system. But the second day is a very harsh come-down. So I gave myself a "half dose" of 50mg and then managed to go three days without taking any at all.

All three of those days were filled with negative effects, fatigue, depression, restlessness, stomach-queasiness.

I may have finally ruined this drug for myself by abusing it. I took it this morning for the first time in three days and plan on going off again for three days, going with a 1-3-1, etc., plan.

Regular opiods have a shorter "high" duration, I love that Tramadol is 6-8 hours, with a nice after-effect for up to 12-14 hours (I always take it in the morning) and a good night's sleep. But I'll pay the price with 48-72 hours of feeling "not 100%" and I'm going to have to fix that if my use is going to continue.

Oh, and for a bonus, my back hurt like hell when I wasn't taking it. ****ing great.

Hopefully your experience will be educational for those people who think that tramadol is a "harmless" medication.
    Also, the back pain you describe is very often another serious withdrawal side effect that accompanies discontinuation.
    You might try enlisting the help of a close friend or family member when tapering or going cold turkey from any psychotropic drug who will hold your meds and dole them out to you on a very ridgid schedule. Sometimes it really does take a village to be successful.
    Good luck to you on your worthwhile effort.

7. It will get you. I've seen everything written in this thread and been through most of it (all of it regarding tram). I've had several back and knee surgeries and the normal degenerative conditions after, so I take it for pain.

I've now been taking it for 8 years straight.

I was put on mscontin (morphine) a couple years back. The good thing was that going onto that led to no tram withdrawals. It was a smooth transition. The bad thing is that, like with any of these drugs, tolerance grew. I'd increase my dose and run out, then try to fill the holes between waiting for refills with tram. One day, my legs swelled up (my feet, ankles, and lower legs) and that was when I stopped the mscontin but i was faithfully back to the tram.

Even smaller amounts, like 200 mg per day can cause some withdrawal symptoms, but if you take the full max dose, you're just about guaranteed to get them; I've spoken with a lot of people about it and the price for us are always the same.

Tramadol withdrawals are pure Hell. You have a "tickly" feeling in your legs and arms that require you to flex them for relief every few seconds; this goes on for a while and you will not sleep and imagine all of your physical pain returning just as this being-forced-to-move deal is starting. You'll have diarrhea, maybe for days. Your nose will run like a faucet. You will hear random "zing" sounds as if your hearing has just come back to you after losing it. You'll lose interest in everything... food, sex, anything you normally do for fun... you'll be very irritable, edgy, and impatient and people will know something is going on. The depression is so ugly, you know beyond any doubt that there are fates worse than death.

In my case, it's easy to say, "Well, stop effing taking it, then!" but don't judge. I've said that same thing to myself 1,000 times and tried every alternative. We always come back to what works for us.
    Like crucibelle liked this post

Gman is offline Banned Reason: Sent the administrator delerious PMs threatening to try to hack this site
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    All your posts are valid and confusing at the same time.
    Could this all be rolled up conveniently into Existentialism?

I am dependent on Orencia and MTX for my RA..Am I an addict?

I have an affinity to alcohol, but can go without it for a month or more, Am I a delayed addict.

Benzos make me me feel better, but I can go without for a month..am I dependent or an addict?

Who makes these distinctions? Me? or you?

Haven't clue!

Gman

crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    Gman -- Just out of curiosity, who is your post directed to? You should try tagging the person or persons your posts are directed to like I'm doing here. >>> @Gman

This way, people will know if you are replying to them or not and your replies are less likely to be missed.
    Last edited by crucibelle; 02-22-2012 at 05:49 AM.
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

10. Quote Originally Posted by splendad View Post

Tramadol withdrawals are pure Hell. You have a "tickly" feeling in your legs and arms that require you to flex them for relief every few seconds; this goes on for a while and you will not sleep and imagine all of your physical pain returning just as this being-forced-to-move deal is starting. You'll have diarrhea, maybe for days. Your nose will run like a faucet. You will hear random "zing" sounds as if your hearing has just come back to you after losing it. You'll lose interest in everything... food, sex, anything you normally do for fun... you'll be very irritable, edgy, and impatient and people will know something is going on. The depression is so ugly, you know beyond any doubt that there are fates worse than death.

In my case, it's easy to say, "Well, stop effing taking it, then!" but don't judge. I've said that same thing to myself 1,000 times and tried every alternative. We always come back to what works for us.
    I thought I'd come back and visit this thread, in the hopes of helping anyone else reading.

I got to a point where I was going 3-4 days in a row, with as high as 90 mg of Tramadol, once per day, in the a.m., never later.

I took one-day off here and there and never had any issues. But then I saw my productivity waning, I saw that I was taking it to be productive, and I just couldn't be productive because I had pushed myself too hard. What I needed was a work break, and if I was going to take a few days off using my brain, then I would also skip the Tramadol.

Holy crap, even with this low dose, was the WD effect miserable! The second day, I couldn't make it past 4:00 p.m. without taking 30 mg. Just a general feeling of fatigue, "fogginess," lack of clarity, irritability. If fact, it reminded me of the day-after a big LSD trip (I don't do this anymore). This was the whole point of taking Tramadol! It had never done this to me!

Day two was almost equally as bad, I took 10 mg (yes, like a quarter pill split in half!) just to see if I'd notice. I did. It sucked to have to take that just to feel "less bad." I didn't get any of these symptoms above, luckily. I've had the Restless Everything Syndrome from quitting tramadol before. I don't know why not now, but I sort of have it in my gut (restless stomach, yes). I also get the ear zings, that's funny, I would never have described it like that, but that is totally mild compared to everything else. Lesson for others: the WD effects are very long, slow to come on, and very ****ing long.

Today is now day 4, and it feels like it's been a month. Ugh. Lots of exercise has been helpful, crappy as it is to exercise when you feel shitty. I've been going to bed early, uninterested in alcohol or anything else. It's a real bummer that this "no downside" drug has turned into something I now want to walk away from forever.

Let's see how many days I can last, my goal is 6-7 days, then a small 50 mg dose, then experiment with going cold turkey and seeing if I'm hit as hard as I was before. I made a promise a long time ago I'd never go 2 days a row, so maybe I can get back to that. I know I'll need something for my back pain.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful posts here and all over this forum.
    Last edited by Lift; 03-11-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Helpful Good Apollo, merrymiau Rated helpful
    Like billyboy, splendad liked this post

Good Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond reputeGood Apollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lift View Post
    I thought I'd come back and visit this thread, in the hopes of helping anyone else reading.

I got to a point where I was going 3-4 days in a row, with as high as 90 mg of Tramadol, once per day, in the a.m., never later.

I took one-day off here and there and never had any issues. But then I saw my productivity waning, I saw that I was taking it to be productive, and I just couldn't be productive because I had pushed myself too hard. What I needed was a work break, and if I was going to take a few days off using my brain, then I would also skip the Tramadol.

Holy crap, even with this low dose, was the WD effect miserable! The second day, I couldn't make it past 4:00 p.m. without taking 30 mg. Just a general feeling of fatigue, "fogginess," lack of clarity, irritability. If fact, it reminded me of the day-after a big LSD trip (I don't do this anymore). This was the whole point of taking Tramadol! It had never done this to me!

Day two was almost equally as bad, I took 10 mg (yes, like a quarter pill split in half!) just to see if I'd notice. I did. It sucked to have to take that just to feel "less bad." I didn't get any of these symptoms above, luckily. I've had the Restless Everything Syndrome from quitting tramadol before. I don't know why not now, but I sort of have it in my gut (restless stomach, yes). I also get the ear zings, that's funny, I would never have described it like that, but that is totally mild compared to everything else. Lesson for others: the WD effects are very long, slow to come on, and very ****ing long.

Today is now day 4, and it feels like it's been a month. Ugh. Lots of exercise has been helpful, crappy as it is to exercise when you feel shitty. I've been going to bed early, uninterested in alcohol or anything else. It's a real bummer that this "no downside" drug has turned into something I now want to walk away from forever.

Let's see how many days I can last, my goal is 6-7 days, then a small 50 mg dose, then experiment with going cold turkey and seeing if I'm hit as hard as I was before. I made a promise a long time ago I'd never go 2 days a row, so maybe I can get back to that. I know I'll need something for my back pain.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful posts here and all over this forum.

I had tramadol problems myself. I have been on every kind of drug, street or otherwise, for a long time, on and off. I have kicked stuff that makes people go away for 20 to 30 years if you get caught crossing state lines with it... but I have never had as hard a time kicking anything as I did tramadol. Its insideous, because it doesnt make you feel that high or anything, so you keep taking it fo rmood upkeep and mild pain relief... then one day you're like, hey, I am not gonna take one today. by 5pm you have cold sweats, vomiting, electric feet feeling... (by you I mean me, er swim I mean)... Only way I got off was doing what you said, tapering over a long time, cutting quarters in half etc. Then went and got a bottle of hydro just to cut it off all together. At my max I was 300 - 400 mg per day. Barely helped with constant LB pain. I'm sure it helped some people. I now take only when i need to bump off the extra pain making it through other meds, maybe 2 X per month. Horrible stuff, and @Lift thank you for sharing. Makes me feel better to know I am not the only one although I see many here...
    Helpful merrymiau Rated helpful
    Some say that I am not machine washable and all my plants are called Steve.

12. Thanks for that, nopizza. I appreciate all the details here.

I made it 6 days! Never felt better. Then I broke down and took 50 mg. Yep, I ruined this drug for me, I just felt foggy and out of it all day. Like you said, "not high" but an elevated mood. Insidious indeed.

I'm happy, though. I realized that many of the benefits I associated with its use were actually just my normal, daily, circadian pattern of mood elevation and relaxation. Plus, Tramadol is antithetical to exercise, it give me a headache to exercise, so I can see that as a discouragement for future use.

Part of the problem for me was burnout with my job and the tramadol helped me get through tedious work.

Default NOT a disease

Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    I realize many people reject the label of addiction as a disease. However, when you compare it to other conditions that are universally accepted as diseases, it becomes obvious.
    If I had a REAL disease like cancer or diabetes, I would be little offended that drugs/alcohol addicts want to share this label. The biggest difference is CHOICE. While it may be very DIFFICULT to stop using the drug, a person does have the choice to not use it. A person chooses that drug/drink every single time they pick it up. No one has chosen diabetes, cancer, or anything else. Sure, you can say the diabetic ate too much sugar or the lung cancer patient smoked for many years. Still this is not a choice for the actual disease. Just possibly bad choices that MAY have had some bearing on contracting the disease.

Maybe you call it a disorder. It is a learned need for a change in behavior.

It has been labeled a disease so that state/federal health care dollars could be spent on helping people with drug problems, which I understand the logic. But, I think it hurts people. Users just want to call it a disease so no one is too hard on them for the constant "relapsing". Just another twisted way for drug abuser to manipulate the system to their benefit... and make it easier to use.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345