NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 969 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clonidine and use for withdrawals

Default Clonidine and use for withdrawals

I am curious if anyone of you have used Clonidine as withdrawl med...I am about to STOP. And like today I feel like I was about to die (severe head ache and nausea). Can I here some personal experiences....I wanna get the clon and some valium and or xanax for sleep and tough it out. I wanna feel normal again and will clonidine help that with opiate detox?

no name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really niceno name is just really nice

Clonidine is very helpful, but start out easy, I take it daily for blood pressure and it acts quickly-it comes in .1 and .2 mgs and is powerful for the size of dose. most drs dont have a problem scripting it just dose yourself lightly till you see how it works for you
    very helpful in taking off the edge
    NN
    When you dance with the devil you don't get to choose the music !

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

For me clonodine didn't do a whole lot for my withdrawal off opoids but I also had a ridiculous tolerance. I'm not sure the dosage I was taking cuz it was a patch I put on my upper arm for 7 days which I understand is much more exspensive than the pills. I took subs for a week or two then I switched to clonodine after that. Are you planning on going straight to clonodine from opoids or like a taper method or something? What is your plan if you don't mind me asking @mynewname

i have some temgesic thought about trying that first for like 10 days then....xanax or valium and the clonodine somewhere in there as the finish line....my tollerance is very high also and have to stop....i quit cold turkey before for 5 years....i think i had like 8 hours of sleep over a two week period of time. I cant do that this time I have to sleep and function I have no choice. Any sugestions I am open to them....but I was gonna start with three temgesic for two days then go down to two of them for 5 days and then one until im out which will be around the tenth day.......taking vitimans b6 and l-tyrosine and maybe some modafilin to keep me going during the day.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 2 minutes after the last post:*

I really wish I would have stayed off the internet all together my life would be much better. I get into trouble on-line...I am addicted to that also I should go back to the stone age and have nothing get rid of the smart phone, laptop ect....but I cant because of work!
    Last edited by mynewname; 12-05-2011 at 02:57 PM.

5. Clonidine has a very limited efficacy in opiate withdrawal IMO. It is extremely effective in benzodiazepine and alcohol withdrawal but opiate withdrawals aren't really generally associated with high amounts of adrenaline release. Clonidine will relax you a little bit and it will take the edge off but really low dose benzos are the way to go with opiate withdrawals.

ok thanks for the info....will the benzos just knock the edge off a little bit....what I will really need is energy which is what I always lack when I am without....Any suggesstions about that....have any of you tried ritalin or something similar to it

@mynewname I was wondering the same thing about coming off pain meds..Is it wise to use some valium for a few weeks? Does it actually take away the issues or is it just masking the comfortableness? I know you're not supposed to go cold turkey but is it wise to jump to another substance? In the past I have eased off with alcohol but I wont want to do that anymore as I have cut drinking for the most part..

@mynewname is caffeine not enough for you? If not, there is a mild, legal amphetamine called DMAA that can be found on amazon.
    Helpful crucibelle Rated helpful

9. Quote Originally Posted by mynewname View Post
    ok thanks for the info....will the benzos just knock the edge off a little bit....what I will really need is energy which is what I always lack when I am without....Any suggesstions about that....have any of you tried ritalin or something similar to it
    Benzos will take the edge off but they can be extremely sedating as I am sure you know. I do not have any experience with ritalin but I know some people that use Adderall for opiate withdrawal to regain energy and seem to do okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalo View Post
    @mynewname I was wondering the same thing about coming off pain meds..Is it wise to use some valium for a few weeks? Does it actually take away the issues or is it just masking the comfortableness? I know you're not supposed to go cold turkey but is it wise to jump to another substance? In the past I have eased off with alcohol but I wont want to do that anymore as I have cut drinking for the most part..
    @Kalo - if you have weened yourself off of opiates with alcohol before then it really is no different than using Valium for a few days except you don't really get a hang over from the Valium as it doesn't deplete your body of essential nutrients that it needs to function properly.

The key is to *ONLY* use the benzo until you are over the hump and then quit. Some people find Valium extremely pleasurable (same with Xanax) and that is when the problem starts. I would suggest Klonopin instead if you have an addictive nature because it has little, if any, euphoria associated with it. Also there is Klonopin that is actually the real thing available pretty much everywhere - and cheaply - while Valium and Xanax have a lot of weak or bunk knock off products. You shouldn't need more than .5mg of Klonopin twice a day, three times a day at the absolute most and you shouldn't need it more than a week or two.

@Etherealremnant Thanks for the insight. So do valium and xanax have euphoric properties and is that what you get addicted too or is it more chemical than that? I have not had many issues with addiction except for cheetos late night, I will go with one of these and let people know how it goes, thanks

11. Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    @mynewname is caffeine not enough for you? If not, there is a mild, legal amphetamine called DMAA that can be found on amazon.
    dimethylamylamine does have stimulant activity related to amphetamine but is not an amphetamine and it is generally considered safer than even caffeine so if you can get pure DMAA and not stacks that mix in caffeine, synephrine, and other stimulants, this would be a decent option.
    Helpful crucibelle, RedBaron Rated helpful

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

Benzos will help take the edge off and maybe sleep but I really recommended a small amount of subs just for a few days and just gotta deal with it after that. Seroquel and trazadone worked great for sleep for me and I took nuerontin for restless leg.
    Helpful Etherealremnant Rated helpful

13. Quote Originally Posted by Kalo View Post
    @Etherealremnant Thanks for the insight. So do valium and xanax have euphoric properties and is that what you get addicted too or is it more chemical than that? I have not had many issues with addiction except for cheetos late night, I will go with one of these and let people know how it goes, thanks
    At first the addiction is purely psychological but as benzodiazepines continue to increase the action of GABA in the brain, the brain compensates by reducing GABA production which is part of what causes the physical addiction.

Xanax can become physically addictive with nasty withdrawals within just a few weeks of use - Valium and Klonopin take a little bit longer and due to their long half-lives (Valium in particular), the withdrawals tend to be less severe in the short term. Long term Klonopin usage, however, has withdrawals that some say are worse than any other drug on the planet.

is adderall pretty easy to get? And cheap? I will check the normal BI sites and see

15. Quote Originally Posted by mynewname View Post
    is adderall pretty easy to get? And cheap? I will check the normal BI sites and see
    I would honestly try DMAA first. It is cheap and it is entirely uncontrolled so there are no worries about seizures or LEO showing up at your door.

DMAA and LEO, can you clarify? Also, thanks for the insights, I will feel out some Klonopin and if it doesnt take, Ill go with Valium

The downsides mentioned by posters regarding the use of benzodiazepines, stimulants, alcohol, etc. to help with opioid withdrawal are all good reasons in my opinion to not complicate the discontinuation process with other drugs that have abuse potential.
    Yes, under a doctor's supervision, drugs like Valium, buprenorphine, Gabapentin, Elavil and clonidine are sometimes used in a detox or rehab setting. But they are administered with an eye toward not instituting unwanted dependence.
    Trying to self-medicate a withdrawal process with drugs like these can over complicate and disrupt the effort unnecessarily.
    Absent the choice of in-patient detox, I have seen the best success reached with either cold-turkey cessation or tapering from opioids.
    Short-term pain but with much better long-term gain.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Kalo View Post
    DMAA and LEO, can you clarify? Also, thanks for the insights, I will feel out some Klonopin and if it doesnt take, Ill go with Valium
    DMAA = dimethylamylamine - a quick Google search will show places selling it - it is closely related to phenethylamine and amphetamine and has stimulating properties with less cardiac problems than amphetamine.

LEO = Law enforcement officer.

crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    crucibelle has a reputation beyond reputecrucibelle has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewname View Post
    Adderall is extremely hard to find and even if you do, most of the time it is fake. I've seen Ritalin being sold at quite a few places, however.
    True friends stab you in the front. -- Oscar Wilde

yeah me too that is why i asked...not something you see very often...have anyone of you think quality of rit from the sy group is good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast