Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something that helps with restless leg from withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyolson View Post
    I personally know what DOESN'T work; when in severe opiate withdrawal before, I took about 10 mg of clonazepam (Klonopin) and it put me to sleep for about an hour, but during that hour, my partner almost called for an ambulance because my restless legs were so, so severe, even while I was passed out, that he thought I was having seizures.
    That'll happen when you take 10mg of Klonopin at once.
    How did you come up with that particular dose?

bradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Sephrina View Post
    That is VERY scary - I hope ur doing ok now. I do have seizures & have to go off norcos once a month. So, I understand & empathize with you.
    I am doing well now, thanks for asking . I am now on an excellent methadone program so going through severe opioid withdrawals is a thing of a past for me.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 11 minutes after the last post:*

Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    That'll happen when you take 10mg of Klonopin at once.
    How did you come up with that particular dose?
    I normally take between 2 and 4 mg of clonazepam per day as treatment for my anxiety disorders, and experience very little sedation from these doses, so I knew that I would have to take significantly more than my usual dosage to cause the sedation that I was looking for (in the midst of severe opioid withdrawal, knocking yourself out for even just an hour is a welcome relief).

I was, however, unaware that the restless legs symptoms that I was experiencing from the opioid withdrawal would continue even while I was zonked-out on a high dose of Klonopin. My partner was unaware of this as well, causing him to become very concerned when, while unconscious, my legs were still spasming and flinging-about.
    Last edited by bradw; 03-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Like Sephrina liked this post

Katniss has a spectacular aura aboutKatniss has a spectacular aura aboutKatniss has a spectacular aura aboutKatniss has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by xcheck44 View Post
    Bananas!! Cheap and tasty! Actually, it's the potassium in the bananas that helps with restless leg, which most get from opiate withdrawal. I suffer from restless leg syndrome (because of the nerve damage in my lower leg), and used to take a prescription med for it. About two years ago I read how banana's help, and i've been eating two before bedtime ever since. It has also helped me when having restless leg during withdrawals, too.
    WOW, I never knew that...awesome info..thanks! (not that I need it..but cool)

Also, Clonidine (Catapress) works very, very well. It's by rx only though.

Emmma

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

I didn't think clonodine worked very good ay all, I was using the transdermal patch. Nuerontin worked great for me though and also eating a banana before bedtime can work too.

5. Clonodine doesn't work well for me either. A long acting benzo and some bentyl (for cramps) help me the best and the wrestles legs is just something that will go away with time. I usually follow the Thompas Recipe, which I remember discussing with others on here before:

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"
    Helpful KarMar Rated helpful

6. Vitamin B Complex. It's something called "B50 High Energy Complex", but I guess any b-multi vitamin would work. It's a miracle worker. Helps within 10-15 minutes. Every time. Once I had to take two, I had it so bad.

And unfortunately I get it periodically, unrelated to opiate use.

My doctor prescribed Requip. I get restless legs as a side effect of Seroquel.
    Helpful bbb Rated helpful

bbb is offline Banned Reason: Banned for Copying and Pasting other users posts from new to Old, copy/pasted about 20 posts or so to increase post count, Disgruntled other members

Yes I have had this before it does work wonders. It is ungodly exspensive if you are not insured as I am. I usually have to buy benzos on the street at a cheaper cost to me.

Fortunately, I have insurance. I used to get restless legs every night, I mean EVERY night. Since getting the requip, I have not had them at all.

restless leg syndrome is the worse. the only thing i havent tried are the bananas. My dr prescribed xanax to help sedate and sleep..well it worked..till i woke up a few hours later with returned restless leg syndrome. it's simple...deal with it for a few days and it goes away..but thats only if u intend on staying unrestless forever..get it? its not ez, but thats why we r here

Lazyboy will become famous soon enough

I have suffered from restless legs for ever and I have found that the worse thing you can take is an over the counter sleep medicine! If I took that I would have restless legs and be very very tired - not a good combination. What works for me is Atavan (which I take nightly to prevent migraines and it works for me well) and 1 mg of Lorazapam. With this combination I usually can sleep. However, on the bad nights when the legs start in I do sometimes have to take a half a Tramadol (chew for immediate release) and that works but I hate to suggest that as a doctor probably isn't going to prescribe that for this reason. I only use that as a last resort. I am definitely going to try the bananas though! Thanks for the suggestion (it makes sense). My daughter is a yoga teacher and she tells me that eating protein at night (peanut butter toast works) will help you to sleep better. Just a suggestion.
    Like lucyloo liked this post

IT is SO nice to see that other people get RLS from withdrawal also. To me, that is one of THE WORST withdrawal symptoms to deal with. I also had RLS for the last 3 months of my twin pregnancy and it was so awful. WHOLE FOODS sells an herbal called "RESTFULL LEGS" and I think it's by Hyland. It was the only thing that semi-worked or at least took the edge off during my pregnancy.
    Suprisingly, in doing some research on RLS, I found that some Dr's actually prescribe low doses of hydrocodone as a last resort for RLS patients.

Default L-Dopa

Someone mentioned on here that L-dope might be helpful for restless legs. I tried to PM the source, but since I don't have 20 posts I couldn't use the PM feature yet. Anyway, is L-Dopa an herbal supplement? Can you buy it OTC?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!

audacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by SeeYou8 View Post
    Someone mentioned on here that L-dope might be helpful for restless legs. I tried to PM the source, but since I don't have 20 posts I couldn't use the PM feature yet. Anyway, is L-Dopa an herbal supplement? Can you buy it OTC?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Although pharmaceutical grade l-dopa is rx-only, you can buy dietary supplement grade l-dopa OTC as an extract of Mucuna pruriens. I have seen l-dopa contents from 15 to 99%. When I took it, I had this strange urge to rub my head into the pillow constantly. It wasn't unpleasant either.

It might have some utility with restless legs, because drugs like Mirapex are used for RLS and are dopamine receptor agonists, and l-dopa is converted into dopamine in the brain. I can't vouch for l-dopa's effectiveness personally though.
    Helpful SeeYou8 Rated helpful

mani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura about

As @Jambaleed stated I have also started taking 5-HTP which seems to work quite well.

Also when I was in rehab they gave opiate users Tonic Water as it contains Quinine, (to Quote@Bradleyolson). Yep RLS really can be unbearable sometimes, especially when your trying to get some sleep.

Of course these are just an alternative to using Benzo's which IMO work best.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand - Homer Simpson

Gman is offline Banned Reason: Sent the administrator delerious PMs threatening to try to hack this site
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    Gman has a reputation beyond reputeGman has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by mani View Post
    As @Jambaleed stated I have also started taking 5-HTP which seems to work quite well.

Also when I was in rehab they gave opiate users Tonic Water as it contains Quinine, (to Quote@Bradleyolson). Yep RLS really can be unbearable sometimes, especially when your trying to get some sleep.

Of course these are just an alternative to using Benzo's which IMO work best.
    I find valium at low doses a potent muscle relaxent for RLS and back pain

IMHO,
    Gman

audacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really nice

An extract of the plant source of quinine (Cinchona Bark) can be purchased OTC as a dietary supplement. Can't find any info on standardization or percentage quinine, but it has to be more concentrated than tonic water. Drinking all that tonic water without gin? Doesn't sound too appetizing.
    @mani How much tonic water do they use at that rehab. IIRC, american soft drink tonic water has about 84 mg quinine per liter.

luvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the roughluvspets is a jewel in the rough

There's alot of good advice to be found in this thread about OTC remedies for WD RLS aka. crazy legs!! .....I just would like to ad that I found it helpful to get up and walk around the house even if I was feeling awful...then gradually increasing that to walking around the block and so on.
    I do remember they were one of the worst symptoms of WD for me but just try to stay focused on the fact that they will pass!!

PS...Having a pet to cuddle with and talk to helps greatly too as they don't judge!

I've mentioned this before, here and on other threads that diphenhydramine (benadryl for you Americans) makes RLS a shit ton worse.

I used to use diphen quite regularly for sleep, and used to get horrid RLS at night, after stopping it, I found it didn't affect me so much at night anymore.
    But last night, I was edgy and knew I wouldn't sleep much so I took 100mg to help sleep, and within 20 minutes, I wished I hadn't. I can't believe how much it exacerbated it, it was well past 4.00am when I finally got to sleep, and my legs were still bad when I woke this morning.
    I won't be making that mistake again in a hurry.

Perromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to allPerromaldido is a name known to all

About mj. If kicking an opiate (and I mean a kick for good) I'd take the worst RLS over smoking anytime. Any even remotely psychedelic drug would mmake a milksake of my head, or whatever got left thereof. Paranaoia at its max expression. Val is an excellent muscle relaxer with the benefit of maybe sleeping 20 minutes per night the first week
    ''since nothing put us together nothing will tear us apart ''

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast