Thread: Can Metformin help you get pregnant

1. Default Can Metformin help you get pregnant

I was put on it recently by my doctor and I read to that some women can get pregnant on this medication. Has anyone gotten pregnant on it?

2. i also take metformin and it is the medication they use to treat PCOS, which prevents ovulation and causes infertility. It is used as a treatmet for infertility that is caused by PCOS, which isn't why i take it. I take it so it helps me ovulate regularly and also alleviate some of the pain from PCOS which is from the cysts rupturing. I haven't gotten pregnant yet while taking it, but i've only been trying since january and not like i should be trying since my boyfriend and i haven't been able to try like we're supposed to. but i will succeed one day.

It especially helps women with PCOS, or women with plain old insulin resistance. You would think what would insulin problems have to do with reproduction, but in fact high insulin levels can cause reproductive hormones to become imbalanced, particularly insulin at high levels stimulates the ovaries to produce too much testosterone which will stop ovulation--which is what happens with PCOS.
    So ask your doctor if you have PCOS, there must have been a reason why he gave you metformin, did he tell you why?
    Helpful Leap Rated helpful

4. You can definitely get pregnant by taking Metformin. Even though it's not a fertility drug it does help many women with PCOS ovulate. I never ovulated at all until taking Metformin. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get pregnant on it alone because my luteal phase is too short. I am now on my first cycle of Clomid.

Debra and AJR: You shouldn't have answered b/c you don't know what you are talking about.

Women diagnosed with PCOS commonly have difficulties getting pregnant on their own. Polycysitic ovaries develop when ovaries are sensitive to excessive levels of insulin in the blood brought on by insulin resistance. Metformin has the tendency to break insulin resistance. Thus Metformin IS commonly used as a fertility drug to treat PCOS.

I was prescribed Metformin but my fertility plan also included an IUI. My doctor never put me on it by itself. I conceived via an IUI.
    Helpful Leap Rated helpful

6. Wash, don't be rude. I am diabetic and I take metformin for diabetes. So, AJR was correct in that sense. However, metformin helps with PCOS and Adrenal Hyperplasia regulating hormones that become out of whack due to insulin issues. Metformin is first and foremost a glucophage, which helps the tissues become more sensitive of the insulin being produced by the body.

Once, someone with a reproductive disorder is prescribed metformin it will help steady blood sugar and THEN will steady all of the hormones that are dispersed through the pituitary, adrenal, or reproductive glands. Thus, giving a "regular" period, ovulation, etc...

I hope this helped.

7. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15. I do not have diabetes. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for 5 years when we finally got pregnant. Unfortunately I lost that pregnancy at 9 weeks. My doctor prescribed me Metformin only in late June of 2007. I was pregnanty by the end of July 2007. Now, I am sure this isn't the norm. But, it was the miracle drug I had hoped it was. I continued to take metformin for the first trimester and I now have a 14 month old daughter. I just want other women to know that there is hope out there. Just stick with it and hope for the best. Miracles do happen! Good luck to you, I hope you get the baby of your dreams, too!

8. Hello Shay,
    I just wanted to say thats usfull to know and i wont give you hope. Ihae been taking metformin for 2 weeks now due to not been able to fall pregnant. I did last year and lost the baby after 8 weeks. I'm hoping that the metformin wortks this time i will keep you updated.

9. Default pcos and metformin

Hi all,
    after going through ur replies am kinda worried whether i wil become pregnant,now i realise why i have had irreregular periods and i think i must have had pcos since the age of 15..but i was way too adamant to take any treatments.. me n my hubby have been trying for a year and a half now and not able to conceive.Doctor has prescribed metformin now,but i feel very much tired and have nausea feeling.. is there anything that can help me come over this?and hope i get pregnant...baby dust to all

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Arounod 1/3 of women taking metformin experience GI side effects such as nausea & vomiting. These side effects are said to disappear over time. As for the tired feeling or malaise, it is said to be a signal for the doctor to closely monitor the body systems that may be affected by metformin. Inform your doctor about this.

11. Not much is known about the effect of Met on the fetus, but there is a lot of literature that suggests that continuing it through the first trimester helps reduce the risk of miscarriage. Doctors have different opinions as to whether the benefit outweighs any potential risk.