NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 708 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: drug testing- oxycodone/hydrocodone

billywad1 is offline Member

Default drug testing- oxycodone/hydrocodone

i have been prescribed oxycodone hcl and morphine er, i ran out of the oxcycodone so I took a couple hydrocodone. If my pain management doctor test me will they b able 2 tell the difference?

sixty9blunts is offline Member

No they will not. Oxycodone and hydrocodone are on the same "structure" if you will and should show up as the same thing if i'm not mistaken.

djmcheme is offline Banned Reason: Attempting to sell through PMs

I disagree. Yes they are very similar but if they want to discern between the two they can. I have had this happen to me before. I had a saliva test show opiate and then they did GC and showed oxy instead of hydro.

alumni is offline Exalted Member
    alumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond repute
    alumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond reputealumni has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by billywad1 View Post
    i have been prescribed oxycodone hcl and morphine er, i ran out of the oxcycodone so I took a couple hydrocodone. If my pain management doctor test me will they b able 2 tell the difference?
    Depends on the test.
    If it tests specifically for oxycodone, it will show no oxycodone depending on how long since you discontinued it.
    If it tests specifically for hydrocodone, it will show positive for hydrocodone.
    Even a simple 5 panel "dip" UA test will show positive for morphine.
    Next test, you could possibly ask to see the test form to see the drugs checked.

billywad1 is offline Member

Hi thanks for the further confusion folks...lol Drug test r a bunch of bologna anyways. I have tested positive whn I knew byond a shadow of a doubt I was clean and I have tested negative when I knew I should test positive. The previous question doesn't matter anymore... I have finally found a Dr who will help me deal with my pain. He started me on 20mg oxycontin 3x day(what the deal and fuss about crushing and snortng) and 15mg oxycodone HCL 3x day for breakthrough. I have a close to pain free life back now. Thx Doc....

arcady59 is offline Member

when I get tested at my pain management clinic they have pretty much every catagory of opiate that is distinguishable, as well as barbs and benzos. My doctor was able to tell that i was specifically using Percs.

DarksideoftheRainbow is offline Banned Reason: creating conflict through posts
    DarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the roughDarksideoftheRainbow is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, they're getting very specific now at some clinics. I've heard that the clinic I'm with does a very broad range test, not that I need to really worry about it, but I've never wanted to ask for the test just for the sake of looking at it and make the doc look at me funny for "checking" it, you know. However I do know that oxycodone is usually a separate test.. so it all depends on what exactly your doc is testing for, how sensitive his test is.. but chances are that it would show up as different (from the hydros) because it seems like doctors are getting very, very specific on their drug tests for pain management nowadays.. What I would recommend is if the test shows up with something different on there from the hydro, simply tell your doctor what happened. Also, don't freak out beforehand and try to drink some kind of "detox" drink because the tests also almost always test now for niacin, one of the B vitamins used in the detox drinks to help a person clear drugs from their system.. So if you end up with a different-looking test, that also shows up positive for a bunch of niacin (which makes you look guilty as if you tried to mess with the test), it would make it a lot harder to just explain to your doctor what happened.

I've noticed sometimes that if you just explain to the doctor what was going on, they won't get too mad, though it depends on the doctor..
    Helpful IGoeOn Rated helpful

LemonDiesel is offline Honorable Member
    LemonDiesel has a spectacular aura aboutLemonDiesel has a spectacular aura aboutLemonDiesel has a spectacular aura aboutLemonDiesel has a spectacular aura aboutLemonDiesel has a spectacular aura aboutLemonDiesel has a spectacular aura about

I was going through drug tests for a view months previously, and it depends on a lot of different things. Like if your in rehab for opiates, they will likely do a test with a full panel of opiates. Which basically can tell each individual opiate.

Then again take home tests you buy for 15$ at the local drugstore isnt gonna show the full spectrum of opiates.

Also i wanted to add opiates usually are out of your system fairly quick i wanna say theyre out in under a week but im not for sure on that.

djmcheme is offline Banned Reason: Attempting to sell through PMs

The bottom line is that if they want to spend the money to discern between different opioids then they can. No doubt about it in my mind. Just keep to what you are prescribed and you will be fine.

crwhitlock is offline Senior Member
    crwhitlock will become famous soon enoughcrwhitlock will become famous soon enoughcrwhitlock will become famous soon enough

Depends on the test but yes they definatley can tell the difference.

poesque is offline Senior Member
    poesque will become famous soon enoughpoesque will become famous soon enough

Yes, experience has taught me they CAN tell the difference, quite specifically too.
    How long something stays in your system varies. I just tested positive for methadone, I had ONE 10mg pill 3 weeks ago! It's amazing what they can find. Basically if you've taken something in the past month expect that it could show up, no matter how small the amount.
    S