NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1017 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: My wife and amphetamine positive

Myosin10 is offline Member
    Myosin10 will become famous soon enough

Default My wife and amphetamine positive

Just a story I would like to share....This was in January in california, the bay area

My wife was in the hospital in labor and for some reason recieved a drug test. Maybe because she is on Medi-cal insurance or maybe because she was prescribed Vicodin during the pregnancy and they wanted to see if she was on anything else. Anyway her test came up positive for meth amphetamines. This was a shock because she is 23 blonde healthy as could be with no history of drug abuse, she only took vicodin that was prescribed. Anyway when the baby was born they tested her urine too and it was negative for everything and the bay was healthy and normal. They still had a social worker come in and question my family and her family and he was very accusing. The guy told me that sometimes people hide their drug abuse well and nobody knows about it, closet users he said. I really had to laugh because there is no way my wife had taken meth amphetamines. So he had to come to our house to see where we live because there was a chance that my wife wouldnt be able to take the baby home. He came over and said that this is not a typical drug house because our house was clean and we had a baby room all set up. Anyway we asked for another test but it was the weekend so we had to wait until monday. It was a weird weekend thinking ym wife was a closet meth user that nobody knew about. Finally monday came and the test came back negative. He left a message on my phone saying the test is now negative have a good day. My family and I were just in shock. I know he was just doing his job and probably has saved a lot of kids from unfit mothers but damn there has to be some kind of back up in case of a false positive. My parents and my sister and brother in law were harassed and questioned about our life styles and theirs too. the nurses and hospital staff looked at us funny. It was just a horrible experience to be accused of meth use while she was pregnant. in the end tho the re test came up negative and we have a beautiful healthy baby girl. Again we dont use meth and she would never use drugs while pregnant.
    Helpful Art Vandelay Rated helpful

Jolie is offline Honorable Member
    Jolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really nice

Doesn't adderall show up as that in drug tests? Is is possible she has taken that?

Otherwise, could be a hospital mix-up. Scary to think how often those kind of things happen.
    "Life is your right, so don't give up the fight!" - Bob Marley

Art Vandelay is offline Honorable Member
    Art Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really niceArt Vandelay is just really nice

Welcome to the New and Improved America. I blame computers and power hungry people. This is some scary stuff and all too common nowadays. I sympathize with you and your wife. I would hope no pregnant woman would take any kind of stimulant like adderral or ritalin. This country is more like Idiocracy every day.
    "Passion Of The Christ Nails It!"

nwoh is offline Honorable Member
    nwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of light

I have a story...

I went into the hospital about a year ago for my pain...

No meds, too much pain, you know the story...

Anyway, I was upfront with them that I went through 'grey areas' to get my medication lately... they didn't like that, but nothing they could do - as it is 'legal' what I was doing.

They even called my former Pain Mgmt doctor in Florida to see if I was lying... (I am in Ohio...)

Anyway they said they wouldn't give me anything but fluids until I took a blood and urine test - I obliged whole heartedly... they come in an hour later almost... and ask my girlfriend to leave the room...
    I was scared. Very scared.
    She left, and the doctor actually even stuck his head out the curtain and said "Can you like... go OUTSIDE the hospital? It will only take a moment..."

I got even more scared.

Then he whispers to me - "We have a problem, Xxxxxx".

Scared me even more.

Then he asks if I have a history of drug use - I am thinking I got Hep C or something from my days using IV drugs... AIDS... who knows... Cancer..? but whats that gotta do with drug history...?

Anyway, I told him yes that I had struggles with it a few years ago - but am being open and totally honest with them.

He told me that I failed for meth.

I told him that it was impossible, I have done meth once and it was over 5 years ago.

Then I got to thinking...

I had a cold...
    I took Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) that day and 2 days before.
    Luckily, they accepted my 'story' -though it was true...
    Told me that "The ER is not for chronic conditions you need to follow up with your Primary..." we all know that spiel...
    Gave me my idk... 30 tramadol, and sent me on my way...

Interesting to say the least.

I would look into that.
    Helpful Art Vandelay, SpaceMatters Rated helpful
    Like Jolie liked this post

Kammi is offline Member

@ Myosin10

I think your assumption that all of this came about due to Medi-cal insurance is correct. I say this because my home state of Florida (I am in GA now) is now testing for drugs for people using the state's health plan and other benefits. I'm not sure what other states have started that but I was just telling a friend the other day that many non-drug using people will start being hassled due to traces of valid prescription medicines such as vicodin coming up in drug tests.

QVC1212 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling
    QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

You know it's a relief to find that I am not the only one falsely accused of amphetamine (or methamphetamine abuse) based on a standard immunoassay from a urine dipstick test. When I was hospitalized for a bipolar manic episode, doctors did a tox screen on me. They found trace levels of opiates and amphetamines. I admitted to using codeine which I had procured from pharmamedics24.com (back when they sold codeine, which they don't anymore). But I had taken no amphetamines or methamphetamines for many, many months---at least 8 months. I had taken ritalin, at a low dosage, but because of my knowledge of pharmacology, I know that ritalin will not show up on a standard immunoassay dipstick urine test unless they specifically request it, which they did not. They confronted me with evidence of "amphetamine" use.

What was I to do?

I told the truth. I had taken ritalin, recently, but not so recently that it triggered a manic episode. I also admitted to taking 5 to 10 times the advised level of pseudoephedrine (sudafed) as well as quadruple the levels of ephedrine/guifenesin, together which can trigger a false positive for amphetamine. I challenged the attending doctor to do a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, because I knew that the analysis would show exactly what I said---trace elements of ritalin, but high levels of pseudoephedrine and ephedrine which I bought legally over the counter at a convenience store.

The fact is that false positives do happen. When they do, it's scary. And how do you fight it? By demanding a mass spectrometry/gas chromatography! But by doing so, the lab work gc/ms will also show exactly what you've ingested, so if you ingested something that wouldn't show up on a dipstick test (like ritalin) it will show up on a gc/ms, so you're screwed anyway. I was screwed anyway. I'm glad that experience is behind me.

Jazie is offline Eminent Member
    Jazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud ofJazie has much to be proud of

@nwoh - I took a drug screen for a job back in Sept last year. Worst time possible as I was sick, had taken Sudafed for a week before, went to Urgent Care the day before the test as I had a killer sinus infection. During all this I was out of town working as a consultant for them before my decision to go back into corp life. They sent me to a Lab there. I gave them all scripts I took and they took copies of all my prescription vial labels.

A week passed and I was home they called and told me I failed for Meth. I never have done Meth. I freaked inside, kept my cool, gave them the Urgent Care I went too, record of my Sudafed as I had given to Dr, plus the Walgreens I bought it from. I offered to "pee" again, but they finally decided it was a false positive. However, they then called me back concerning another med and I said you have copies of all my scripts via the copies you took of my vials and said don't you see it in "your" paperwork? Two hours later I was cleared.

F'ing shame anyone has to go through this scrutiny when simply being honest.
    Helpful Myosin10 Rated helpful
    There is a profound difference between information and meaning. Warren G. Bennis

Myosin10 is offline Member
    Myosin10 will become famous soon enough

I appreciate the guy doing his job but we were obviously clean and for him to question our families the way he did was a bit over the top. He took my sister into the hallway and said just tell me the truth what drugs is she on? My wife was crying because she was accused of using meth while pregnant. Then for him to have to go to my home and look around was strange. He didnt really do anything but come inside and look at the baby room. Then for the retest to be monday when it was friday this happened made the weekend stay at the hospital a bad experience because the nurses thought she was a meth addict that gave birth to a meth baby.

The guy didnt even know that there could be false positives. I had to educate him about other substances causing drug tests to be positive. This guy is a social worker about to take away our newborn baby and he doesnt know about false positives?? WTF! Like I said the babys urine was clean and the retest was clean as well so it worked out but to think we were close to getting our newborn girl taken away because of a false positive was scary!

i think she had a cold or didnt feel good a few days prior and took some cold medicine but that is the only thing I can think of. She also was on terbutaline which is a drug used to stop contractions. It is a beta-adrenergic so that might have caused the false positive too. she had early contractions and we were worried about her going into preterm labor. Ya we really couldnt have sex for like 3-4 months there because sex can cause preterm labor, weak right?

Anyway this guy didnt know her medication history or anything and almost took away our newborn baby girl. There has to be a better system than what we went thru. In the end it worked out tho....
    Helpful lk2look Rated helpful
    Like teresita liked this post

SpaceMatters is offline Exalted Member
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    SpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond reputeSpaceMatters has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosin10 View Post
    I appreciate the guy doing his job but we were obviously clean and for him to question our families the way he did was a bit over the top. He took my sister into the hallway and said just tell me the truth what drugs is she on? My wife was crying because she was accused of using meth while pregnant.

Then for him to have to go to my home and look around was strange. He didnt really do anything but come inside and look at the baby room. Then for the retest to be monday when it was friday this happened made the weekend stay at the hospital a bad experience because the nurses thought she was a meth addict that gave birth to a meth baby.

This guy is a social worker about to take away our newborn baby and he doesnt know about false positives?? WTF! Like I said the babys urine was clean and the retest was clean as well so it worked out but to think we were close to getting our newborn girl taken away because of a false positive was scary!

Anyway this guy didnt know her medication history or anything and almost took away our newborn baby girl. There has to be a better system than what we went thru. In the end it worked out tho....
    I am glad it worked out ok, but what a horrible way to start you new life together as a family. Gotta just shake it off. Maybe write a letter to the social worker's boss about how his field staff needs to be educated about false positives, specificaly if one has been taking certain cold medicines.

And really, the hospital nurse should have the same training. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Oh well, it' s in the past now and you have a beautiful baby who needs both you and your wife to provide for her every need just in order to survive.

I am amazed that you made it though this ordeal w/out losing your temper. I am not sure I could have been as calm and strong as you were.

Good job. Hell of a test - first couple of days on the job as a Dad, You get an A+ in my book!

And thanks for posting this story. Could help others in the same position.

Sincerely,

Fire
    Last edited by SpaceMatters; 06-26-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typos
    It takes a long time to grow an old friend. - John Leonard

Lynx4 is offline Eminent Member
    In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

What blows my mind is that the baby tested clean. Seems to me the Mom couldn't be a Meth addict if her baby comes out and isn't addicted and has a clean urine screen. I think we've all seen the shows of what an addicted newborn looks and acts like and if the baby was serene, happy and all over normal then what the heck is wrong with that social worker?

And yeah, false positives happen way too often and that's one reason I don't like that everyone has to take one nowdays to even get a job. A 10% failure rate means that hundreds of people a day lose jobs for no reason and that's unacceptable.

lk2look is offline Senior Member
    lk2look will become famous soon enough

First @QVC1212, and everyone fyi... unfortunately-- Ritalin is one of the more prevalent ways to produce a false positive for meth (relative to adderall etc). Because of the fact that it contains some sort of methyl-xxx (I'm no chemist) compound. The fact of the matter is it, there is a strong chance that it wouldn’t show up on a straight anmph test, but a lot of the dipsticks will have a spot essentially just for meth. Weird, but true. So someone taking literally speed vs somebody taking ritalin might pass the test more easily than someone taking the much more mild ritalin... (Although I have seen tests that test for both.)
    There are so many things I hate about drug tests, for the lamest reasons. IE hair tests for pre-employment... 2 random piss tests would suffice and be a whole lot cheaper, they pass both and you can assume they are not an addict pretty reasonably.
    Now when a child is involved (so @op) I can understand the need to be careful that a child is not going into an unsafe environment.... But the baby testing clean... hmmm you would think they might be a little bit more polite and at least entertain the idea that it was a mistake. I mean a "closeted user" while pregnant would lead me to believe that the baby would very likely to test positive. Just so you know, I think you handled it well-- if it were me, I wouldn't have given a darn what day it was, I would have been making sure that she was retested (maybe by myself first then, bringing in a witness, not sure how your wife would have felt about that-- if she wasn't i the mood, I wouldn't make a woman who just went through labor so anything she wouldn't want to. But the fact of the matter is, even if you did all that, you really only would have received personal vindication of some sort because I'm sure the social worker would have still made the visit etc, so your actions were really the easiest and best way to handle things; I'm pretty mild mannered, but in this circumstance I might have gotten a bit hot-headed, especially if people were treating you like your wife was a meth addict. Oh and on an ironic note, (apart from the whole baby room thing, don’t woman who use meth often keep their houses meticulous… If she didn’t come back neg, I wonder if your home would have been “too clean” as part of evidence of meth use lol.
    Like cajunbulldog liked this post

teresita is offline Exalted Member
    teresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond reputeteresita has a reputation beyond repute
    teresita has a reputation beyond repute
    I just found these posts fascinating. For one I did not know they test state aid insurances in any state. And second, having a baby is such an exhilleratingly euphoric pleasure that for someone to put such panic in a family is absolutely horrible. I know there are pregnant addicts and their babies too will be positive for the drugs mom has taken. Being in a hospital couldnt they have taken a blood test or hair test after you stated that it was impossible? Fireplaces is right on when she said whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Although hospitals dont like to admit it, they are not perfect and they are not always right.

Several years ago, I went to an off hour clinic for an unbearable earache that was making me off balance. They did a pregnancy test on me which I did not know since the history I filled out clearly stated that I had a hysterectomy several years earlier. I disputed the charges for this but ended up paying for it since they got their lawyers to bully me into it.

And yes the pregnancy test was negative, whew
    Like Keith K Stone liked this post

Jolie is offline Honorable Member
    Jolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really nice

@teresita, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I could understand if you just said you weren't sexually active, because people sometimes lie about that. However, stating that it was physically impossible for you to get pregnant and then they charged you to make sure you weren't? Inefficiency and bureaucracy at its finest. It can't even handle the one task its charged with.
    Like teresita liked this post
    "Life is your right, so don't give up the fight!" - Bob Marley

Lynx4 is offline Eminent Member
    In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

@Jolie, when I was hospitalized last year, they did a bunch of tests when I first got there, MRIs, CT scans, a scan of my brain, etc. At midnight when I was begging for pain meds she said they had to do a contrast dye MRI and I couldn't have meds until after that, BUT..they had to do a pregnancy test first! Well, I just spent the day getting radiated all over without any protection, my tubes were tied 13 years ago and I told them that and NOW I had to have a pregnancy test?

Two hours later.....the test comes back negative. It's 2:00am, I'm crying in pain and my whole body is shaking again. They just don't care. Down to MRI we go. I get there, the tech looks at me and says I can't do an MRI, you're shaking too much. Well, not like I could stop the shaking. She calls the doctor, an hour later he calls back and okays a 2mg shot of valium. Forty five minutes later a nurse shows up with the shot. They do the shot, get the MRI, it's now around 4:00 am and I still haven't had any pain medicine. Now it's close to nurse changing time, everything's in an uproar and it was 9:00am before I got the pain medicine.

Idiots. They're all idiots. After the fiasco of that hospitalization I'll be very skeptical of anything a doctor or nurse says or does. A pregnancy test on a woman who is almost 50 and had a tubal ligation 13 years before? Really? Hate them all with a purple passion.
    Like Jolie liked this post

NewarkCap is offline Senior Member
    NewarkCap will become famous soon enoughNewarkCap will become famous soon enoughNewarkCap will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by QVC1212 View Post

the lab work gc/ms will also show exactly what you've ingested, so if you ingested something that wouldn't show up on a dipstick test (like ritalin) it will show up on a gc/ms, so you're screwed anyway.
    @QVC1212
    Very interesting; Are you saying the Ritalin caused the false positive or the combination of Ritalin and pseudoephedrine ? . I thought I read somewhere that Ritalin would not show up on a 5 panel test or at worst it gets out of your system with 48 hours.

Would it be possible to request another type of test that looks very specifically for amphetamine use? You could just say the false positive was from the over the counter stuff. Why allow them to get more information than necessary?

_jenny_ is offline Banned Reason: Caused too many arguments and made too many enemies
    _jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice

these tests can give false positives even if no similar medication was taken (ex: ritilin, psudoephedrine, etc). it can happen with any medical test actually, no test is 100% accurate.

a while back a friend of mine tested positive for AIDS and needless to say she was freaking out. we looked online and found there were two tests for AIDS, the Elisa and the Blotter or something like that. They only gave her the Elisa, which is the lesser accurate of the two. she went to another doctor and they ran the more accurate Blot test and it came back negative. then they re-ran the Elisa and this time it too came back negative. whew! so no test is foolproof, they all can generate false positives (and false negatives) and this sounds like what happened to you.

plus, even if your wife was a "closet" meth user (while pregnant nonetheless haha) amphetamine leaves the body in two or three days so waiting the weekend and retesting would have ensured she peed clean.

anyways sorry you had to go through this, especially an accusatory hospital worker and a house inspection of all things on what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of your land your wife's life: The birth of a new baby! Congratulations on that, BTW!!!
    Helpful teresita Rated helpful

atreo is offline Member

I failed the NCAA drug test for amphetamines, but I have a prescription for adderall....they tell you not to take your medication for 72 hours and which i followed and I still failed.