NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 977 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tested Positive for Cocaine! Why?

dmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enough

Default Tested Positive for Cocaine! Why?

Well today was supposed to be the day that I've been looking forward to for a very long time....it was the day that I was moving a step up in the program I attend in order to get take home doses for the weekends. I'm in a methadone maintenance program. I was so proud of myself because I've been off everything besides what I'm prescribed and the methadone of course for 6 whole months! Besides, where I live (Central PA), being able to not have to risk my life driving through the ice and snow 2 times a week would have been great!

Well now back to the point....I was all excited today when I walked in with my little lock box with a big smile on my face. Well the nurse said "Hmm, there's a hold on you! You have to speak with your counselor before I can dose you." I thought "oh maybe she just wants to congratulate me for making progress towards being clean". Well no, instead it was "sorry, but your last urine came back positive for cocaine. So now you're gonna have to wait another 6 months before we can re-consider any take home doses."

Needless to say, I was DEVASTATED! I have not done cocaine in at least 5 years, I have watched closely ANY medication I take, including over the counter meds like pseudoephedrine, and I don't even hang around with people who do cocaine or go to places where it may be around. Now, if it would have been positive for amphetamines, then MAYBE I would think that possibly I took some cold medicine and forgot, but COCAINE???? What could I have possibly taken that made me test positive for COCAINE?!

Anyone had this happen to them in the past? Any scenarios that would cause a false positive for cocaine? I asked my counselor if I could have it re-tested, and she said no it has been too long. The funny thing is, this test was taken on November 17th, and she got all her other clients tests back within a week or so, and mine just seemed to dissappear. So, on December 6th when I met with my counselor, she said "I'm not sure where your results are at, so I'm gonna have to call and see if they can re-send them to me." Do you think this had anything to do with it?

Sorry for rambling, I'm just so upset because I feel like I worked so hard for nothing! Any advice on what I should do, or reasons that could cause a false positive for cocaine would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!!

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

At the clinic I go to I've pissed dirty 2 times for a tiny amount of oxycodone both times they never even took away my take homes. Now I only go twice a week and after one more clean urine I'll get my six pack of take homed which means I'll only go once a week. Your clinic seems pretty strict or maybe mine is to lax in any case sorry for your setback.
    Helpful dmp336 Rated helpful

You sound like you're trying hard, so first of all props to you for trying to turn your life around. It's NOT easy, I know that..but it seems like you're doing really well.
    I don't know the science as to why you would test pos for coke though, I would be thinking the same if it had been the amphetamines/cold remedy..but sounds iffy to me.
    I wouldn't take no for an answer with the re-test, if it's possible, go higher up, the more you kick up a fuss, the more they'll start to believe that you might actually be telling the truth. And something like this must be a huge kick in the balls after all the effort you've put in. It could be that they've gotten the smaples mixed up? If eveyone got their results first and no-body even knew where yours was, then should that should raise an alarm with them?
    I don't know what else to say, but fight it tooth and nail until someone starts listening. Just because somebody made mistakes in the past, does not automatically make them a pathological liar in the future. Folks in the medical profession would do well to remember that sometimes.
    I hope you get it sorted, and don't let it get to you so much, think of practical ways to deal with this, and make them know you're not backing down.
    And then remind yourself that YOU KNOW you're clean, and how hard you worked to get their..and know that you have support here if you need it.

Jellyfish.
    Like snowangel308 liked this post

All the hard work you did and this happens.

Well most people would sit there being sheepish about it - the fact you are denying and asking questions is good.

I think your request for a new one is reasonable.

The UA could have gotten mislabled. Lost. A new tech who did not test sample properly.

Politely be firm about this as this does affect all the progress you have made.

First off don’t give up and hang in there. We are all given obstacles in life that we must pull through. I have no idea how you would have traces of coke in your blood unless some one added some to something you was doing and didn’t tell you, God knows theres lots of idiots out there like that. Or she mixed up test, you know they might be professionals but even professionals make mistakes too, they just don’t like to admit it. I would have asked for another test to prove my self but what can you do. Thats why if I’m out in a public bar I always sit with my hand over my glass and never leave it to use the rest room. I just order another one when I return. as far as pills I don't know of any that would do that unless it was made in some ones basement and they added it to the batch. You got me on this one.

@dmp336
    I have had experience with many, many drug test results over the years and can tell you that false positives for cocaine are pretty rare, especially compared to those for other drugs.
    I have seen an antibiotic like amoxicillin cause a positive rarely. But more important is the fact that medical conditions involving liver and kidney disease can also cause a false positive. Even something as common as diabetes.
    I think you should investigate this possibility with a physician soon. Liver disease is often caused by drug abuse and can be asymptomatic for years before it's discovered, sometimes too late.
    This false positive result might have saved your life.
    Like Stevo1, snowangel308 liked this post

Hash is offline Banned Reason: Sent an abusive PM to a moderator
    Hash will become famous soon enough

Contamination of some kind or a plain faulty test,either way for something so important i think you are well within your rights to ask for a blood test,at least a secondary urine one..This will prove it even after the event as it should show up clear.

Well done for sticking it out,been 11 months for me so know how much it means to be able to forget about going to pick up everyday.Im on mon,wed,fri and could get it dropped to once a week but there is such a short time left i may aswell leave it till next month.

Try not to lose heart,its easy done,and remember to fight your corner,no else is gonna when it comes down to it.When stuff like this happens my first reaction is "offs,not again,why me!" but after reflection i can say that each and everyone of those times either made me stronger or in some way taught me something.

keep up the excellent work!

I think its even too late for a blood test since cocaine does leave the sytem relatively faster than other substances but a hair follicle test can go back months. It may be you would have to seek help from another doctor to have this done and present the findings to the doc at the clinic. I dont know a lot about these clinics but from what ive been reading they dont budge even when they are wrong. (And this is more common than not)
    sometimes the more fuss you make the harder they make it on you. I wish you luck, and keep up the good work!
    Like betsky liked this post
    Be kind, everyone is fighting their own battles

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

One of my tests at my clinic supposedly leaked in transit a few months ago so I could definitely see a possibility of mixing up the tests especially since they only put first intitial and last name. Is there anyway they could try one of those instant dipstick type tests when you go to pick up tomorrow? My clinic has them but they don't like to use cuz they are supposedly very expensive. Then again I guess the the coke would be out of your system by then anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
    Then again I guess the the coke would be out of your system by then anyway?
    That is exactly why every klinik I know doesn't re-test if a client pops positive for cocaine. Fair or not, it's a done deal at that point.

OP's story is pretty bad. I really sympathize with you........... I really think your results got mixed up, or the center for the testing lots your sample and made something up to cover for it.

Hopefully they will allow you to re-test. Tell them its a false positive.

dmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement and advice. @alumni, I have read many articles that said the same thing as you did about kidney or liver abnormalities. I hate to admit it, but I have not always been such a good little boy (hence going to the methadone clinic in the first place). It has been ages since I have seen an actual doctor besides the quick blood pressure check and exam they give you when being admitted to a clinic. I guess it's about time I go and get a thorough check up from a good physician...maybe even some blood work too since right now I have insurance that'll pay for it.

As far as having another urinalysis, I actually just had one the other day. My clinic gives them randomly every single month. The results have yet to come back though. I asked my counselor if they could re-test the one that was positive for cocaine and the answer was absolutely not. I even said I would pay for it, but it seems that since it's been nearly a month, the sample would be too degraded and more than likely long gone anyway. Besides all that, I obviously have a history or drug abuse, so who is gonna believe me anyway?! I've just accepted the fact that I've been wronged, and I guess I'm paying for all the things I did as a young drug-addicted hoodlum! The important thing is that I'm making amends for all that now, and I don't want this little mishap to ruin all the progress I've made in the last several months. Thanks again everyone for all the support!
    Like renwick, teresita liked this post

Hash is offline Banned Reason: Sent an abusive PM to a moderator
    Hash will become famous soon enough

Didnt realise it had been a month,my mistake mate.Thought this was a recent thing.

Sorry to hear they won't budge but glad to hear you are dealing with it well.
    Like dmp336 liked this post

Kittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud ofKittsoan1989 has much to be proud of

That makes no sense at all that they're denying you a retest - Back when I was on the program - every clinic I went to allowed you to be retested for a fee - and isn't it the clinic's fault that it took them that long to get the result? Idk what to say but hang in there man - I feel for you!
    Like dmp336 liked this post

15. Quote Originally Posted by dmp336 View Post
    Well today was supposed to be the day that I've been looking forward to for a very long time....it was the day that I was moving a step up in the program I attend in order to get take home doses for the weekends. I'm in a methadone maintenance program. I was so proud of myself because I've been off everything besides what I'm prescribed and the methadone of course for 6 whole months! Besides, where I live (Central PA), being able to not have to risk my life driving through the ice and snow 2 times a week would have been great!

Well now back to the point....I was all excited today when I walked in with my little lock box with a big smile on my face. Well the nurse said "Hmm, there's a hold on you! You have to speak with your counselor before I can dose you." I thought "oh maybe she just wants to congratulate me for making progress towards being clean". Well no, instead it was "sorry, but your last urine came back positive for cocaine. So now you're gonna have to wait another 6 months before we can re-consider any take home doses."

Needless to say, I was DEVASTATED! I have not done cocaine in at least 5 years, I have watched closely ANY medication I take, including over the counter meds like pseudoephedrine, and I don't even hang around with people who do cocaine or go to places where it may be around. Now, if it would have been positive for amphetamines, then MAYBE I would think that possibly I took some cold medicine and forgot, but COCAINE???? What could I have possibly taken that made me test positive for COCAINE?!

Anyone had this happen to them in the past? Any scenarios that would cause a false positive for cocaine? I asked my counselor if I could have it re-tested, and she said no it has been too long. The funny thing is, this test was taken on November 17th, and she got all her other clients tests back within a week or so, and mine just seemed to dissappear. So, on December 6th when I met with my counselor, she said "I'm not sure where your results are at, so I'm gonna have to call and see if they can re-send them to me." Do you think this had anything to do with it?

Sorry for rambling, I'm just so upset because I feel like I worked so hard for nothing! Any advice on what I should do, or reasons that could cause a false positive for cocaine would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!!
    "The funny thing is, this test was taken on November 17th, and she got all her other clients tests back within a week or so, and mine just seemed to dissappear. So, on December 6th when I met with my counselor, she said "I'm not sure where your results are at, so I'm gonna have to call and see if they can re-send them to me." Do you think this had anything to do with it?"

I would go back and speak with your counsler and let her know how you are feeling about all of this? Be honest with her about your feelings, you did not do anything wrong. If she hears your sincerity and your concerns and your feelings, she maybe more open minded as to seeing things in your perception. It does sound like yours got mixed up somewhere? Why didn't yours come back with everyone else's? She had to call for them a second time? Where were they the first time? You have a right to your feelings and you have right to express them as well. Remember, it's all in the "deliverance" of them message, if you approach her with a good positive attitude i am sure she will hear you out.....I always believe communication in number 1 and very helpful to us, as human beings we just want to be heard, we may not get the results that we want, but at least we were heard right?.....Good luck.

@dmp336 do you know if your clinic tests for soma? Just curious cuz I take it very sparingly for my back. I took one tonight Friday and think I might have a test Monday morning, what do you think??

@Coheed, I think you should be in the clear if all you took was one soma the night before your test. I can't be 100% positive, but there is no category that shows soma (carisoprodol), or any sort of muscle relaxer in general. They don't even test for THC, which would be marijuana. My guess is you're in the clear. I wouldn't worry about too much
    Last edited by dmp336; 12-11-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    Helpful Coheed Rated helpful

Thanks for the response @dmp336, yea I know a 12 panel test doesn't test for csrisoprodol but I've heard some clinics test specifically for it. I have scripts for flexeril and skelaxin but they don't help at all and to be honest the soma doesn't really help much either for my back pain. My doctor wanted to give me hydrocodone but I said no. I guess my point is I don't want my clinic calling my doc and them my doctor blacklisting me so to speak. Anyway thanks for your help

19. Default same thing happened to me

i am on probation and get tested once a month. every urine sample has been clean. Then I tested dirty for cocaine. I denied it and said it was not possible. My PO was cool and said it was first dirty sample and for me to calm down. She did not report or violate me. I hope everything works out for you. I asked my PO if it was possible to test dirty from counting money. I manage a small business and have to count the register every night. She laughed at me when I asked her about the money.

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

Well, since they did that study that showed that virtually every paper money (1's, 5's, 10's, etc.) has trace amounts of cocaine on them, I could see if someone was counting hundreds upon hundreds of bills a day they could pop dirty for cocaine. I don't know though - maybe you'd have to lick every bill in order for it to show up as a dirty UA? lol

In my life I have had 3 instances where a UA was wrong and I knew it was wrong but it didn't matter because the doctor trusts the testing company and not the patient. That's why I get anxious when it's time for another UA. I know exactly what's in my system and when someone tells me otherwise I have no way to fight it. Words don't help. A retest won't help since it will be a month before i know the results of the test and it's too late to retest. I was booted from my first pm clinic because of a total mess of a UA. It showed 4 benzos, 3 Schedule 2 pain killers, 2 sleep aids and I don't remember what else. Come on, I would be dead if I had all that crap in my system but since they don't tell you the results until your visit there's no way to fix it. If they would inform you immediately so you could ask for another test it would be great. But no....it's 4 weeks later before they say that something is wrong.

I hate these tests but it's part of being in a PM clinic and I just hold my breath and pray that the employee at Labcorp isn't a new one and doesn't mess up my sample.

Let me give you a little something that an employee of Labcorp wrote on my last UA report, because they didn't have knowledge that I was on a benzo (nurse dropped the ball and didn't write it down). It was a paragraph long and said that patient was taking medicines not prescribed by the doctor and doctor should have a talk with patient and remove patient from facility for failing the benzo test. It said more but I don't remember exactly what. How dare they? It's their job to test the urine sample and print out a very professional looking report that lists what they found and how much. It was not their job to go "ha ha ha, we busted one of your patients and you have to kick them out of the program." asshats

My doctor lets me read all of my paperwork so I was really mad when I saw that but he gave me a hug and said it's okay, don't worry about it.

My next UA is in a week or so, so 4 weeks after that I'll let you know what it said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast