NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 966 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: tested positive for benzos?

winewomensong will become famous soon enoughwinewomensong will become famous soon enoughwinewomensong will become famous soon enough

Default tested positive for benzos?

i am tested every month for a prescription, and i don't use anything that could possibly come up as a benzo. however, last month my test was positive. i'm wondering what could possibly cause a false positive? it's hard to convince a doctor you didn't use when they have a test saying otherwise. the only things i take are anti-depressants and birth control. i take ambien about 10 days a month, but hadn't taken any within about 5 days of the test.

Could be the ambien although it shouldn't test positive for benzo, in my experience.
    Last edited by Benway; 04-03-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

A percentage of tox screens are wrong - some say positive when you haven't taken anything, some say negative when you HAVE taken something.

Did they do a dip stick test or a lab test? If it was a lab test I would ask to have it run again with the extra amount they keep aside for just such a problem. If you absolutely know for sure that no benzos should have shown up then make some noise and demand a retest. Everyday people get results that are wrong and we have to fight it because we know that it's not yet possible to have a 100% accurate tox screen that works 100% of the time.
    Helpful Stevo1 Rated helpful

Quote Originally Posted by winewomensong View Post
    i am tested every month for a prescription, and i don't use anything that could possibly come up as a benzo. however, last month my test was positive. i'm wondering what could possibly cause a false positive? it's hard to convince a doctor you didn't use when they have a test saying otherwise. the only things i take are anti-depressants and birth control. i take ambien about 10 days a month, but hadn't taken any within about 5 days of the test.
    There are very few substances that I've seen cause a false positive for benzodiazepines on a urine tox screen.
    There are some studies that indicate that Daypro, which is an NSAID, and, more rarely, certain antidepressants have shown false positives.
    Just ask your doctor to submit the sample for GC/MS analysis to be sure if this is causing a conflict in your medical treatment.

bradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nicebradw is just really nice

There ARE several medications that can cause false-positive results for benzodiazepines, particularly on less expensive EMIT-style drug tests (dip-stick tests in particular):

→ sertraline (Zoloft) is one of these medications (PubMed ID: PMC2728940, False-Positive Urine Screening for Benz... [Psychiatry (Edgmont). 2009] - PubMed - NCBI );
    → diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Gravol), when taken in high doses, is another medication that has been speculated to cause false-positive drug-test results for benzodiazepines (I haven't been able to find a reliable source for this one, though);
    → the antibiotic Bactrim (Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) (http://www.medtox.com/Resources/Images/4823.pdf );
    → several Chinese "herbal" preparations ("Cows head" pills, Tung Shueh pills) (http://www.oasas.ny.gov/admed/documents/drugscreen.pdf );
    → the NSAID fenoprofen (Nalfon) (http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~mligare/...letins/6.4.pdf );
    → and the NSAID oxaprozin (Daypro, Duraprox) (http://www.aitlabs.com/uploadedFiles...ide_SMR086.pdf ) can cause false-positive drug-screen results for benzodiazepines.
    Helpful MajorCaptSilly, gsg909 Rated helpful