Thread: Does hydoxyzine show up as a benzo?

dmp336 is offline Senior Member
    dmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enough

Question Does hydoxyzine show up as a benzo?

I get drug tested at least once a month and sometimes even more often. One place that tests me monthly is my doctor. The other place is my employer. Anyways, every test from my doctor shows up positive for benzos and every test from my employer shows up negative. Does anyone else have experience with hydroxyzine (vistaril/ atarax) and drug tests? I do occasionally take benzos (Xanax) but since I know the exact date of my tests I always give 2 weeks to clean out my system from the xanax (which I bought my own dip stick tests that test only for benzos and the xanax is always out of my urine within 5 days tops, usually only 3).

I have searched the web extensively and I still haven't found a definitive answer. Some sites says that hydroxyzine has one of the same metabolites (cetrizine I think) that is one of the same metabolites as benzos. Other sites say that hydroxyzine has absolutely nothing chemically similar to any benzos and should not show up as anythinbon a drug test.

Anyone else out there take hydroxyzine and get urine drug tests? Any info from all you intelligent board members would be greatly appreciated!

H20shed65 is offline Renowned Member
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    HI @dmp336
    It's possible that one place is using a broader drug screen than the other which may account for the difference. Vistaril is hydroxyzine Pamoate whereas Atarax is hydroxyzine Hydrochloride. They are exetremely similar, just fifferent formulations. The metabolite you refer to is in fact Zyrtec, which is why Atarax and Vistaril were once used for seasonal allergies but are rarely used in this fashion anymore.

This drug is RX only and is often used to potentiate the effect of benzo's and opiates, so this may be the reason your physicians office is screening for this drug. Additionally, there are some anecdotal reports of people taking large doses of these drugs for recreational reasons, although I cannot imagine why. That may explain why your physician is screening for them but not your employer.

I am not aware of any metabolites from these drugs similar to those from benzos, but someone else here may be better versed to provide that answer.
    Helpful dmp336, COSGringo Rated helpful
    Like dmp336, SedateMe liked this post
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

dmp336 is offline Senior Member
    dmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enoughdmp336 will become famous soon enough

Question Does hydroxyzine/vistaril show up in a drug screen

Thanks @ h20shed65 for your response. The thing is though that both places use the standard 7 panel drug screen which both tests for benzos. My question is does vistaril/atarax/hydroxyzine show up as ANYTHING, particularlty a benzo on any current lab drug screen performed currently.
    Also, does anyone else who is on this med and takes routine drug screens ever have a positive for benzos show up? I am just curious because I feel like a liar telling the nurses I have not taken any benzos and then it keeps showing up positive for benzo use.
    Thanks for listening, and any responses will be greatly appreciated!

BlueRedGreen is offline Member

hydroxyzine appears to have a VERY different chemical structure than any benzo, so it shouldn't cause a positive for it.
    A lab's drug screen may be more sensitive than your dip stick test, so be careful with assuming you're in the clear just because your dip stick test says so.

SedateMe is offline Honorable Member
    SedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really niceSedateMe is just really nice

@dmp336 I dunno if this helps but xanax (alprazolam) has a half life of 12-15 hrs. This is pretty rapid. If you are heavily using the xanax I can see why it might show up, but two weeks is along time considering the half-life of the drug. There is another issue that may be causing this. If some drugs affect the ability of the liver to rid it of other substances, for example, and this i am not sure, maybe the hydroxizine (which I also take) may increase the time necessary to eliminate the drug. Well, I just read the drug interaction part, and don't see any for xanax under hydroxyzine. Taking anything else?

Source: Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses 12th ed.

Quote Originally Posted by H20shed65 View Post
    HI @dmp336
    It's possible that one place is using a broader drug screen than the other which may account for the difference. Vistaril is hydroxyzine Pamoate whereas Atarax is hydroxyzine Hydrochloride. They are exetremely similar, just fifferent formulations. The metabolite you refer to is in fact Zyrtec, which is why Atarax and Vistaril were once used for seasonal allergies but are rarely used in this fashion anymore.

This drug is RX only and is often used to potentiate the effect of benzo's and opiates, so this may be the reason your physicians office is screening for this drug. Additionally, there are some anecdotal reports of people taking large doses of these drugs for recreational reasons, although I cannot imagine why. That may explain why your physician is screening for them but not your employer.

I am not aware of any metabolites from these drugs similar to those from benzos, but someone else here may be better versed to provide that answer.
    Well, in the case of the atarax, in higher doses it works as a sedative working on the CNS and use to be used in surgery either in place or to potentiate a benzo, and may still be used in this way, but I say all I have seen is Verced and sometimes Val prior to surgery. Thats the off label use (sedative) as well as anxiety. Atarax, is primarily used as an antipriuretic (anti itch). I have taken more atarax then I should have before and can see there was a definite sedative effect ( I had very bad insomnia one day).

Race can be a factor too, Asians are have a higher incidence of being poor metabolizers (15-20%) of benzo's and to a lesser extent whites and blacks (3-5%), although this applies mostly to diazepam, however, where I study, it's benzo's in general.
    Source: same as above
    Last edited by SedateMe; 08-26-2012 at 12:20 AM.

H20shed65 is offline Renowned Member
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    H20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond reputeH20shed65 has a reputation beyond repute
    @dmp336 @SedateMe

Hi guys,

I asked a pharmacist friend of mine about this question and the answer is extremely convoluted, but the answer is yes. Because Hydroxyzine contains a piperazine ring as part of its structure, it can act on GABA receptors within the human CNS . This should be able to be ruled out as a Benzo with a more comprehensive drug test. Additionally, she told me you should inform the drug testing facility that you are taking Hydroxyzine prior to testing and if it comes up positive for Benzos, demand a more sensitive screening which, if you are not taking Benzos ; should come out clean. You can PM me if you need a more detailed explanation , but it's complicated and less important than requesting a retest with a more specific and sensitive benzo screen.
    Helpful SedateMe Rated helpful
    Like Shayna, cajunbulldog liked this post
    Self Appointed Forum Moderator ==> Click HERE to REPORT Suspected TROLLING!

niquil is offline Senior Member
    niquil will become famous soon enough

Wow, I have to completely debunk this. Hydroxyzine WILL not show up positive as anything, ever. I have taken it many, many times with very sophisticated labs, never had a problem. There is no reason why they would test, and I really doubt they ever will, it just isn't there.

audacity is offline Distinguished Member
    audacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really niceaudacity is just really nice

The structures aren't even close. It wouldn't show up as a benzo at all. If, as @H20shed65 said, the piperazine ring would trigger the immunoassay for benzos there would be so many false positives for other OTC drugs too. Such a non-selective immunoassay would have been scrapped.

IMO, it will not show up on even the initial dipstick test. Look online for a good price on a dipstick drug test and find out for yourself if you're still unsure.

Diazepam (notice that it is a seven-membered double nitrogen ring (diazepine ring), and not a six-membered piperazine ring

Diazepam.jpg

Hydroxzine (similar atoms, different bonds and ring sizes)

hydrox1.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by audacity; 05-09-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    "Tolerance to the anxiolytic effects (of BZD's) probably does not occur"

loonatik is offline Member

It's a bloody anti histamine and will not show up unless they are looking for that particular drug. Its not a benzo not even close,so,dont worry about that. Just some,friendly experienced advice kick the,Xanax ive taken different benzos for a,couple,decades and that was,hell and then some,to come,off of..not worth going there. Xanax is blacklisted in several countries for,this,reason. It's,a,short,acting benzo and is strong..if umabsolutely need a benzo get Valium or Klonipin as they act longer and easier to come off...
    Loon

HCBrown is offline Senior Member
    HCBrown will become famous soon enoughHCBrown will become famous soon enough

I can say from experience that if you are taking a instant urine screen the benzo line will be slightly colored. If it is fully colored then you will fail but it will not be. I will be partially colored which means you pass the test. It happened to me and the nurse asked if I was taking an allergy medicine or a PM medicine like tylenol PM.

COSGringo is online now Exalted Member
    COSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant futureCOSGringo has a brilliant future

All I know is if I fail a UA for my pain meds because of something I use as an antihistamine and sleep aid sometimes, well I will be unhappy.

giant ass dump.jpg
    I used to be on pills, now I am on a tablet. Ba dum dum.

creznor is offline Member

Probably more likely to come back positive than if you were to eat 10 poppy seed bagels.

JessieEdgar is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by audacity View Post
    The structures aren't even close. It wouldn't show up as a benzo at all. If, as @H20shed65 said, the piperazine ring would trigger the immunoassay for benzos there would be so many false positives for other OTC drugs too. Such a non-selective immunoassay would have been scrapped.

IMO, it will not show up on even the initial dipstick test. Look online for a good price on a dipstick drug test and find out for yourself if you're still unsure.

Diazepam (notice that it is a seven-membered double nitrogen ring (diazepine ring), and not a six-membered piperazine ring

Diazepam.jpg

Hydroxzine (similar atoms, different bonds and ring sizes)

hydrox1.gif
    Thanks for sharing these all info regarding this.it's really helpful for us.