NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 594 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will TRAMADOL show up as an opiate in a urine or blood test?

1. No, because it is not an opiate, so you won't have to worry about it. As the other poster, said, it is an opioid - which is a synthetic product that has psychoactive effects through its actions on Opiate receptors in the brain.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

One should clarify. Tramadol will not show up on a standard immuno-assay. Store-bought drug kits and employers will use test strips which show opiates, but not tramadol. However, it is unclear whether law enforcement tests first with a standard immuno-assay followed by a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry if the first is triggered, or if they go right to the gc/ms. The gc/ms is absolute and will show every trace of every known drug in your blood, including illicit and prescription drugs, from mj to blood pressure pills, and it will show the levels as well.

If it did show up for say, an employer/employee drug test, and you couldn't prove it, it'd be grounds for firing. But you don't have to prove what isn't shown. I'm curious as to the context in which this question is posed?

Both coasts and Down South, sounds hectic but it works for me.
    Tussin will become famous soon enoughTussin will become famous soon enoughTussin will become famous soon enough

It has to be specifically tested for. It is NOT an opiate. So will NOT show up as one. Standard urine stick test, it will NOT show up in. Blood test, maybe. But again they have to test specifically for the tramadol. In fact they have to test specifically for any synthetic opiate as well. Suboxone wont show up as an opiate either. You have to be spicifically tested for it. Same with methadone and oxy and hydro. They are all synthetics. The only thing that will show up as opiate is opiates, tru natral opiates. Codiene, heroin, morphine, all opiates. Do some research I did. Go to a drug testing web site. I did. There are acceptions when taking large amounts of synthetics a certain amount turns into natural opiates in your body sumhow and will give you a FALSE positive. I say false because again, sythetic opiates are just that synthetic, they are not natural opiates and therefor may or may not show up as one. I dont know what the person that asked this question was worried about anyway, they had a whole month to get something that takes at the most three day to get out of ther system. Im surprised a pain clinic let them even knw when the test was gonna be. Thats very strange. Do they call you two weeks ahead of time to tell you about your pill counts as well? LOL
    Helpful SwayGirl Rated helpful

Lord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to beholdLord is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, very useful info...

5. Default The answer is maybe...

If they are not doing a mass spectrometer test, and just using one of the cheap tests that you stick a few drops of pee on and the lines turn blue under the drugs you're positive for, then it won't show up. If you are on probation, chances are, you will get a positive reading for opiates because they will test for every drug they possibly can, even synthetic opiates. I hope that clears things up, because nobody was really being specific about what kind of test they were given when they got a positive hit.

6. I've wondered the same thing about testing positive for tramadol but still cant find a definate answer.

7. I know this is a super late response and there are other correct answers in here, but no- tramadol is a synthetic opiate.

8. Default This is right on!

Quote Originally Posted by cranky_bratsss View Post
    Okay, well, take this or leave this:

I called Labcorps National 1-800 number and pretended to be a small business owner interested in setting up employee drug testing. I specifically asked not only one but TWO people on the phone about Tramadol.

Both answers were specific and matched. At least at THEIR lab, no, Tramadol is NOT detected in any drug panels, even the expanded opiate panel and drugs of abuse panels. Now, they CAN be detected but only if the prescriber specifically ADDS Tramadol to the list of things to test for.

Its among a whole list of a la carte items that can get 'piggy backed' onto the standard tests for an extra fee.

Now, the results above only speak for Labcorps labs and the testing I described. So, my advice would be to find out EXACTLY whats been ordered (get the order numbers if possible) then look it up on that labs website. Even do what I did and call the parent lab company if you have the nerves. Trust me, they are just employees at a company who get calls all day long with drug questions.

So, hopefully that helps. But as with all things, you have to know eventually its going to be on every standard drug panel test, its only a matter of time. But hopefully a few years are left before it becomes so standard like that lol!
    I was in the Mayo Clinic PRC (pain rehab center) for 3 weeks and got to review my blood and urine results as I tapered. They can detect it if they are looking for it otherwise it slips under the radar. A simple dip test wont show anything but if they go further (looking for it) it will. Just FYI. Hope this helps.

OP, did they find it

BIGBEAr011 is offline Banned Reason: Shilling for 'unitedpharmacymeds'

its better you drink alot of green tea my friend because that tramadol will show no matter what's up

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

green tea is just a myth. Time and metabolism are the only things that will clear your system.

I wish I paid attention to my last screen. I three it out. I don't recall ultram on there unless it was some wierd chemical name. There were a few of those I did not know

13. Cool quit trippin/relax

actually,i myself have been taking tramadol for about a year,much more effective than vicodin 7.5 or norcos,because,1st off,there non-narcotic,however they do have an addictive seditive in them,becareful
    to take them as perscribed.the answer to your question,ive been clean and sober for almost 14 years,and was testing myself,when i first started taking
    them,Ive not once in many screenings ever tested positive for opiates,Today,TOOK A TEST FOR A NEW JOB,and tested negative....no further questions on tramadol,no unless you ate 40 pills and have high doses,and then you would have stop breathing already.quit trippin/relax

McBain will become famous soon enoughMcBain will become famous soon enoughMcBain will become famous soon enough

there are so many contradicing stories on this subject. I've been taking Tram for awhile and was unsure if it would or wouldn't come up on a standard employee test so i went to the doc and told him about a knee injury, which is true. I set it up the visit before then asked for a Tram script and waaa laaa covered.

Funny though, i've been getting my trams 200mg from shaz for awhile and getting my script 100mg ER and the Shaz's are much better. The mg is one thing but the feel is different.

I've read how people tested positive for Opiates on tram and got busted.

Peace

Mcbain
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of American kids the metric system

15. While there is a dipstick drug test for Tramadol, it is not included in the standard 5 or 10 panel tests. I am yet to see any employer testing for Tramadol, but it could be added to a customized screen rather easily.

Tramadol will not test positive for Opiates...Period.

I have taken Tramadol for years (chronic back) and been drug tested every few months usually a 5 panel, occassionally a 10 - never came up positive once for anything. Tramadol mimics opiates in many respects but does not produce any metabolite that could cause a positive drug test for opiates.

And Lord have mercy, Green Tea is very definately an urban legend - as QVC 1212 said - it's all time and metabolism.

Bananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to beholdBananastickers is a splendid one to behold

While this thread is from 2008 this is a fairly popular question. Besides all the scientific stuff supporting the No answer I'll give you my personal experience. The answer is still no. I get tested roughly once every 2-3 months randomly for work and the tramadol has never shown up. I do have a script if it does but after 3 years I'm really not sweating it.

Neofate has a spectacular aura aboutNeofate has a spectacular aura aboutNeofate has a spectacular aura aboutNeofate has a spectacular aura aboutNeofate has a spectacular aura aboutNeofate has a spectacular aura aboutNeofate has a spectacular aura about

Ultram, tramadol hydrochloride is a weak opiate agonist, 5-HT agonist, and Norepinphrine reuptake inhbitor all in one.

It CAN be tested for. However, it has to be a specific test.

Tramadol is a quasi-narcotic analgesic used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain. It is a synthetic
    analog of codeine, but has a low binding affinity to the mu-opioid receptors. Large doses of tramadol can
    develop tolerance and physiological dependency and lead to its abuse. Tramadol is extensively
    metabolized after oral administration. Approximately 30% of the dose is excreted in the urine as
    COR Code # 23 2
    unchanged drug, whereas 60% is excreted as metabolites. The major pathways appear to be N- and Odemethylation,
    glucoronidation or sulfation in the liver.

A specific assay to test for the metabolites of Ultram/Tramadol will always use the competition for binding antibodies as a principle way of dye detection.

It is how most Urinalysis works as a fundamental.

Bottom line though --

I've never seen a drug assay/tox screen that had Tramadol as a part of the core group of medications to be tested.

I *have* in recent years seen Tramadol assays by themselves, and single UA kits that will test for it fairly accurately.

nwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of lightnwoh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by QATFY View Post
    I think I am scheduled for a drug test - urine and possibly blood at my pain clinic on Apr. 11. Due to severe pain (included an ER visit b/c I couldn't move for days), I have ran out of my Oxycodone. I do not want them to test me and not find it in my system and think I am selling it nor do I want to tell them I had to take several more pills per day just to get out of the bed and function. I like my doctors at the pain clinic but I just could not help having to take a few extra pills. My husband has Tramadol for his shoulder injury and I am taking that. Will it show up as an opiate? Or will it simply show up as TRAMADOL? Please don't be disrespectful, I am respect all of you, please respect me and answer with TACT.

Thank you!
    ~QATFY~
    Short answer, NO!

Sources: I take tramadol and have taken 4 tests, 2 lab and 2 'in minutes dipstick' type tests.

No positive results for anything.

And that is with all of the USUAL panels...

They need to hit it with GC\MS to see Tramadol as far as I know...
    Basically, they need to be looking specifically for it.

19. Tramadol is a pain relief drug that affects the opiate receptors, but isn't an opiate. I think they refer to it as an opiod, or something like that. I don't think it should cause you to fail unless they do a 10 or 13 panel urine test.

20. My specific drug test does test for tramadol. i think it is a very thorough test though, as i need to pass it to continue suboxone treatment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast