NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1161 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Will concerta cause me to fail a drug test for amphetamines If so, what ADHD medication will not.

1. Default Will concerta cause me to fail a drug test for amphetamines If so, what ADHD medication will not.

I am currently in felony drug court...
    I have gained 25 pounds since I've stopped taking concerta, and It has thrown me into a depression.

Concerta and Ritalin are not amphetamine drugs.
    Adderall, Dexedrine, Methedrine and Vyvanse are.

This whole line of stimulant medications decrease appetite, increase energy levels and decrease depression by lifting mood. Which means coming off the drug and having all these symptoms doesn’t sound surprising. Just as you would tamper on these drugs, you should ever more slowly tamper off them. Talk to your doctor, perhaps it is best you are put back on Concerta and then eased off it later if need be.

Concerta, which is methylphenidate, is known to cause false positive results with drug tests for methamphetamines. Though methylphenidate is not tested during standard drug tests, its presence can also be checked through other specialized tests. If you are currently taking concerta, you have to present a valid prescription from your doctor to whoever is performing the drug test. Should a false positive result be found, they should do a confirmatory test on it, just to rule out if it is really positive or not. Unfortunately, it also depends on the drug testing center if they would consider testing it again or just consider it positive, even if the law states otherwise.

I agree with John that you should have weaned yourself from Concerta gradually to avoid those depressive feelings.

I hope this helps.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

Concerta will not show up on a standard immuno-assay aka dipstick test. Too much pseudoephedrine could trigger a false positive for amphetamines, however.

If the test is a gc/ms (gas chromatography, mass spectrometry) expect it to pick up every trace of every substance in the blood, including controlled and non-controlled. Most places use a standard immuno-assay, and then if there's a positive, do a gc/ms to verify. i.e.-you should be good if all you're taking is concerta.
    Like neverfailadrugtest liked this post

alexer34 is on a distinguished road

Well a six panel won't do it but some of the higher end tests can.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@alexer34 what's a six panel, a standard immuno-assay? (dipstick test?) opiates/cocaine/benzodiazepines/methamphetamine/thc ??

@QVC1212-Yes it is, sorry for the confusion. For some reason the six panel dipstick test has a difference between amphetamine/methamphetamine, at least the one I have seen. The Methamphetamine one is used to detect Ectasy as well. Quite Strange.

EDIT: Also The Methylphenidate turns up as Methamphetamines- I am not sure why though.
    Last edited by alexer34; 03-05-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Missing Info

@alexer34 Are you sure about the ritalin showing up as that? Because I've used ritalin the day before and morning of a dipstick test which included for amphetamines and it came out all negative.

@QVC1212 Ah I am quite sure, because I used a friends Concerta and failed a school drug test, and they thought it was for meth.. It was quite a fiasco, but maybe it depends on the manufacturer or something, maybe I can find more in depth information.
    Helpful drboris Rated helpful

@alexer34 That really concerns me. Fortunately I don't use ritalin anymore, or adderall, however, though I used to regularly. However, do you know anything about modafinil? I've been taking that pretty regularly and I know it will show like everything on a gc/ms but what about on a standard immuno-assay, any ideas?
    That really bothers me because I was on probation when I took that test. Had I failed, it would have meant serious trouble for me. Was it just luck I wonder? Or was it fake ritalin? I know it wasn't fake because it caused energy, focus and concentration. Or maybe the dipstick test they used didn't test for amphetamines, and I thought it did.

Concerta is just time-released ritalin. I also passed tests using concerta. Could something else have triggered a false positive? For instance, I do happen to know that high doses of ephedrine and/or pseudoephedrine (supratherapeutic doses) will cause false positives for amphetamines. Were you taking ephedra pills at the time, or primatene tabs, or boxes of sudafed?
    Last edited by QVC1212; 03-06-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: forgot to add question

@QVC1212 Well you are not the only one who said they passed for Methylphenidate. I'm sure it was real ritalin.. From what I have been reading it seems that Methylphenidate's detection in drug testing is do to a "false positive". Apparently between 0-18% of the drug is excreted unchanged, depending on various factors. So you probably just metabolized the drug better then I did. The test mistakes Methylphenidate for some type of amphetamine do to a similar chemical structure. It all depend on hepatic functioning. And also I am 100% sure it was not ephedra or psudoephedrine. I have never had ephedra and where I lived at the time they use Phenylephrine HCL instead of psudoephedrine, in the matter of stopping methamphetamine production.

Anyway, you have no reason to worry about the modanafil. It is a controlled substance, Schedule IV, but it is not similar in structure to any other uppers. The test for it requires one of the more thorough tests like the one you mentioned.
    Helpful QVC1212, drboris Rated helpful

@alexer34 That's what I'm talking about! I see great quality posts rich with concise and original information. @drboris what do you say we bump up ahead of time alexer34 to "member" status. It's refreshing to see new material from which I can learn (in this case about modafinil) as well as breathing new life into an old topic such ritalin which has already been explored to death. And he offers support and reassurance---rarely found on PR. Just imho..
    Last edited by QVC1212; 03-06-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: misspelled PR as "PRI"

@QVC1212 Thank you very much- I honestly just want to help out. Im studying pharmacy so I may as well put what I know to use.

14. Wow, Ritalin isn't an amphetamine? I was under the impression it was- this site is so f'ing educational- love it!

I've even had phentermine to show up on a urine drug screen as amphetamines. Luckily, I was able to show the nurse the prescription bottle for the phentermine I had and it didnt cause me any trouble. She told me that most all over the counter cold/flu medications will cause it to show up the same way to. So basically, to always write down or mention any of these to the nurse administering the drug test before taking it.

16. stuff i learned from other posts:
    "Ritalin is not an amphetamine, it's a central nervous system stimulant. The usual SAMHSA drug test doesn't test for it that I know of. Adderall on the other hand is an amphetamine and would show up if you were taking a dose high enough."

17. Default false positive

I just took a urine drug test, not sure which dipstick, but I tested positive for amphetamines. I havent done speed(meth) in over three months. Recovering addict. I do take concerta to help with my drug problem, dr. prescribed. Its not only for adhd but to help people with a history of drug abuse as well. Anyway just to let you know make sure you have your prescription readily available, because you may test positive for meth. I did.

quon5 will become famous soon enough

I have been randomly tested with the 5 panel test twice in the last 5 months while taking methylphenidate regularly. I have passed both tests.

I have also been taking benzos regularly but they weren't administering the 10 panel test. I'm sure I would have failed that miserably.