Thread: Why do antidepressants all just make me more depressed???

1. Unhappy Why do antidepressants all just make me more depressed???

I've tried 6. This 6th one, Pristiq, is also a loser for me. I always want to cry. Antidepressants "may cause suicidal ideation" etc - I just want to know, what is happening that causes that? I thought boosting available saratonin levels was supposed to promote a happier mood, not a crying, suicidal one...?

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Have you discussed this with your prescribing doctor? There may be other ways to manage your problem aside from pharmacological means.
    Helpful Della Rated helpful

3. My father was suffering from depression and Doctor prescribed Xanax which was very much effective. Xanax is addictive so just should only till the doctor has prescribed you, it shouldn't be shared with other people. This pill helped my father to get out of depression hope it will even be better for you.
    Last edited by tinmuning; 07-20-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: removed link in signature

4. It is very good topic to discuss about Antidepressants all make me more depressed. It is very helpful and interesting for our knowledge. You have a great knowledge about this thing. According to me i think that antidepressants don’t work to treat anxiety in everyone. Medication effects vary because no two people are alike.

jamesbooker1975 is on a distinguished road

But for how long you tried each one ?It spouse that it could take several month to see the positive results .

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? That can make a difference. Also, some would work for me for a short time, and suddenly (with no rhyme or reason) stop working. Believe me, you are not alone-I was prescribed, in this order: Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor (which is what Pristiq's active ingredient is VERY close to, the US just wanted to renew the patent so they changed the formula slightly), Zoloft, Cymbalta, and the one I take now, Lexapro. It keeps the depression manageable for now.
    My advice is to keep in touch with your therapist & psychiatrist and be vigilant about your care; speak up if something doesn't work. You'll find something that will, just keep trying.
    Helpful Binky Rated helpful

I've tried Prozac (and I was just 12 then, oh my!), but in the end, what really treated me was human relationships. I don't mean of course to say that you lack that, but what I'm trying to say is... medicines are not a one-size-fits-all antidote.

Believe me, because I've been meds-free since sophomore high school.

realxsalo will become famous soon enoughrealxsalo will become famous soon enough

Paradoxical reaction are very typical. My doctor told me that all the people that commit suicide on antidepressants were suicidal before they ware on antidepressants
    Helpful Dendrilopis Rated helpful

It's because your taking the wrong class of anti depressants. You need something more activating - Wellbutrin XL 150 or 300mg. Even a low dose stimulant would cheer you up assuming you exercise daily, eat right, take your Omega-3's, B-complex etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbooker1975 View Post
    But for how long you tried each one ?It spouse that it could take several month to see the positive results .
    Weeks, not months. They sometimes say 6 weeks but when you're not getting positive results in 3 weeks i think you'll be better off trying something else (except maybe prozac with its insanely long half life).

If serotonergic drugs increase your depression maybe you should try drugs that don't work on serotonin. Have you tried Wellbutrin? Or maybe Remeron or Tianeptine?

I've had the same reaction as the OP to every SSRI except Prozac. For me, Luvox was the worst. I can't even describe how depressed it made me.

The only explanation I've heard, and I have no idea if it is supported by any evidence, is that initially SSRI's increase serotonin. But since the levels are seen by your brain as atypical and excessive, it either produces less serotonin, reduces the number of serotonin receptors on neurons, or, via some other mechanism, over compensates in reducing serotonin levels. Supposedly that is when you get the paradoxical response.

However for me, with Luvox, there was only a delay of a few days before I felt so awful I didn't even want to breathe. And I'm not someone who has ever had any issues with suicide.

The other side of the story though is that ever since the black box warning went on these drugs, Drs are afraid to prescribe them to adolescents and young adults and the suicide rate among these groups has increased. I think you can find the actual stats on wikipedia but I don't have the link handy.

Della is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of lightDella is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by okcomputer1016 View Post
    I've tried 6. This 6th one, Pristiq, is also a loser for me. I always want to cry. Antidepressants "may cause suicidal ideation" etc - I just want to know, what is happening that causes that? I thought boosting available saratonin levels was supposed to promote a happier mood, not a crying, suicidal one...?
    Talk to someone if you're feeling suicidal. Your doctor, friends, helpline number, anyone. Below I've answered some of your points because you raise and interesting subject but if you are in serious danger of hurting yourself GO FIND SOMEONE TO HELP YOU RIGHT NOW!!

@tinmuning and @gingerbaby make excellent points about discussing your feelings and side effects with your doctor, especially while you are on a new drug (if you've recently switched).
    Just look at how many gingerbaby has tried - it's awful that there isn't an easy on-size-fits-all, but it's just the way it seems to be with depression medications.

If you want a layperson's guess at your questions, these are my thoughts from reading round the subject for the years I've had an ssri:

Antidepressants "may cause suicidal ideation" etc - I just want to know, what is happening that causes that?

As far as I know, no-one has come up with a convincing reason for that very reasonable question you have.

I believe that @gingerbaby asked your age. Suicidal ideation on SSRI's has been noted in the 18-25 age group. I don't think anyone knows why, but the drug companies are now taking note of the worst offenders for this 'side effect' and warning appropriately.

Other possible reason for paradox is increased energy - some AD's, I'm told, may work on the physical symptoms of depression, before the mental ones kick in.

Physical restlessness, sleep changes, appetite changes etc, but with the same shit*y mood. This leads some people to think and plan (the suicidal ideation) because they didn't have the energy to do so before.

I thought boosting available saratonin levels was supposed to promote a happier mood, not a crying, suicidal one...?
    Depression has been around for thousands of years. The medicalisation of depression has been around for hundreds (melancholia as it used to be termed). Pharmaceutical interventions are relatively new ideas.

The frustration you feel is understandable. Serotonin is a chemical that has been noted to be lower in depressed brains.
    ONE theory is that if you raise the serotonin levels you will decrease
    the depression.

Why are you crying/suicidal and not happy on an SSRI?

Maybe not been on the AD long enough for it to increase the serotonin enough.
    Maybe you need a bit more help with talking therapies, additional interventions.
    Maybe because the serotonin theory is still only a theory. Anti-depressants DO work for most people, eventually, and to different extents. Drug companies and scientists need to give a medical reason for this action.
    SSRIs increase serotonin levels (one of many of their pharmacological actions). So, scientists checked the levels of serotonin and found them to be lower in depressed patients. Et Voila! A usable 'answer'.
    In reality we don't know if the low serotonin level drop caused the depression or is merely one attribute of a depressed brain.
    The consensus appears to be for severe depression ADs are a lifeline, but doses and types may need tweaking, by a medical professional only.

They should never be thought of as a cure, in my opinion. They are the raft that takes the drowning person to the shore. After that, the person still needs medical attention and social support to recover.

Sorry, long post, didn't mean to be but good topic
    Helpful gingerbaby, Binky Rated helpful

This is an interesting subject. In my experience the only anti-depressant that has had the effect of making my mood worse was Mirtazapine (also put on a lot of weight). At the time of taking this med I didn't really put the worsening of mood down to the drug. Instead, just thought it was my general state of mind. Things weren't really helped by GPs whose automatic response in such situations seems to be to recommend an increase in dose!
    Eventually, stopped taking it simply because I felt so miserable on it. Mood lifted in a couple of weeks and then tried an SSRI - Citalopram - what a nice difference ! Better mood, motivation, etc., within a week or so of starting it. I later spoke to a psych about my experiences with Mirtazapine and he said it can happen - not just with that particular anti-d, but with any of them (i.e. SSRI/SNRI).
    Helpful Lethe Rated helpful
    Like Carter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Della View Post
    As far as I know, no-one has come up with a convincing reason for that very reasonable question you have.
    Well there are some theories that make sense. First of all, the brain is far to complex to say more serotonin is always a good thing.
    The increase of serotonin caused by antidepressants also stimulates the 5-HT2c receptors, among others. We know stimulation of this receptor increases anxiety and depression in at least a part of people. Postmortum studies of people who comitted suicide showed an greater amount of these 5-HT2c receptors compared to control. This could also be a reason why 5-HT2c antagonists (like valdoxan) are effective for treating anxiety and depression.

When you first start an SSRI this receptors will be overstimulated. But over a course of 2-3 weeks the amount of receptors will downregulate due to the increase of serotonin, causing this initial increase of worsening of symptoms to disappear. It could be the downregulation of several types of serotonin receptors plays a role in the antidepressant properties of serotonergic drugs, but this not proven yet as far as I know. If it is, this could explain the delayed onset, and the fact that not everyone responds to these drugs. Maybe the downregulation doesn`t happen effectively in those people.

5-HT2C receptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe not been on the AD long enough for it to increase the serotonin enough.
    SSRI`s increase the serotonin levels in the brain within hours of administration.
    Last edited by DaneV; 08-23-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    I too have been on a lot of anti-depressants thru the years.Some worked for awhile, some I couldn't take(side effects)& some did make me feel more depressed.I tried different ones for 10yrs. before finding what I'm on now.For the last 5yrs. I have finally found what works for me.
    The only side effect has been weight gain, but I'll take the extra pounds & be able to say I feel good is well worth 20lbs.This is the first time in my life I can say I'm not depressed anymore.
    Helpful Keefus Rated helpful

@binky1957 Just out of curiousity, what is it you`re taking now then?

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    @DaneV Hi.For the past 5yrs. I've been on a combination of Paxil(60mgs.) & Abilify(30mgs.)
    Like Keefus liked this post