Thread: How long does it take for antidepressants to leave your system?

1. Default How long does it take for antidepressants to leave your system?

Citalopram in particular.

citalopram is an SSRI antidepressant. The length of time it can stay in your system varies with your weight, the amount or dosage taken, and how your body metabolizes it. At average, it may take around a week or two.

3. It varies depending on the SSIR, but Citalopram (or it's cousin Lexapro) has a half life of about 35 hours. SSRIs range from a very short half life to 5 weeks in the case of Paxil. If you have been taking it for a longtime, Citalopram will take several weeks of weening down in order to get it completely out of your system without having some severe withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, etc). Citalopram is about the best one of all of them insofar as having the lightest withdrawal problems.
    Helpful Blockhead, Binky, jholden40 Rated helpful
    Like Ken2011 liked this post

Blockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond reputeBlockhead has a reputation beyond repute
    Blockhead has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen1965 View Post
    It varies depending on the SSIR, but Citalopram (or it's cousin Lexapro) has a half life of about 35 hours. SSRIs range from a very short half life to 5 weeks in the case of Paxil. If you have been taking it for a longtime, Citalopram will take several weeks of weening down in order to get it completely out of your system without having some severe withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, etc). Citalopram is about the best one of all of them insofar as having the lightest withdrawal problems.
    @Karen1965,
    I've been taking 40mg Celexa (Citalopram) for about 6 weeks now and I'm more depressed than before. Thanks for the info. as I have an unexpired stockpile of 40mg Prozac (Fluoxetine) that I've taken in the past and am inclined to revisit. Or maybe it's the fact that I have sooooo many things to be depressed about that is the problem. I dunno and can't afford to pay a doctor to find out and do not qualify for public assistance due to real estate that I own.

5. I've been told as long as it has taken to kick in, 2-6 weeks.
    Like bigboyhank liked this post

mani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura aboutmani has a spectacular aura about

Going to see my psychiatrist next week and wonder wheather anyone has any advice regararding anti-depressants. For about 10 years now I have been on Paroxitine (paxil/Seroxat) Been on 60mg for a while but I think it's time for a change, as I don't think their working any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions to an alternative? Are all the new one's still only SSRI'S? or are their any new types which people might think would be a good alternative?

Thanking you in advance for your opinions.