Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do antidepressants make you tired? Aren't they supposed to give you more energy?

1. Default Why do antidepressants make you tired Aren't they supposed to give you more energy

I thought they were supposed to give you more energy, but other than wellbutrin, which I can't take because of the side effects, that hasn't been the case.

2. if they make you drowsy, take them at night.
    my ex takes Zoloft 50mg and for a few weeks she took it in the morning but then she'd fall asleep an hour later....so she started taking it at night and it's worked a lot better for her like that..

3. for some it's just an adjustment period, as your brain has to get accustom to the change in serotonin levels. I think.

4. Maybe they make sure to get you tired so you can't think about being depressed. hehe, not funny? still depressed? ok...

I took wellbutrin because i liked how it would wake me up in the morning. I didn't experience side effects from it, but you know how drugs affect everyone differently. Try taking St. John's wort instead. It gave me some energy and there were less side effects.

I don't know why all the other ones like zoloft, paxil and prozac make u tired... like i said, too tired to be sad... It's a side effect that I got used to eventually, and became less tired

5. Prozac did the opposite for me. Watch your dosage, too, of any of the antidepressants.

6. I think it all depends on what's causing your depression, different neurotransmitters have different effects. I wouldn't think that prozac, for example, would give you more energy because it appears to effect solely serotonin, and serotonin tends to calm people out. If you're chill and then sleep better, you might feel better in the morning. Wellbutrin, on the other hands, boosts norepinephrine and dopamine, and if you're anything like me, too much norepinephrine makes me curl up in a ball and want to die. You *might* try zoloft; while it's a SSRI it's been found to have a degree of dopaminergenic effect as well. Dextroamphetamine, while a bit more difficult to get prescribed, is often useful for fatigue. Check out the website attached, it has a ton of useful info in brief and accessible speak.
    Helpful Rescue3000, SpaceMatters Rated helpful

Antidepressants have a lot of effects on the body, depending on how your body reacts to it. some feel energized, others feel tired. Antidepressants act on the receptors on the nerve cells. They can make you feel alert, increase your appetite and elevate your mood. It can also cause sedation. So, it may be that you feel sedated, which is similar to feelings of tiredness. You can probably ask your doctor to switch you to a different antidepressant if it really bothers you.
    Like Rescue3000 liked this post

8. While I was on Zoloft, I gained lots of energy. It seemed to happen within minutes of taking the pill. However, I could not take it with caffeine because the two combined would cause me to stay awake until 4 AM! When I decreased my caffeine intake and took my zoloft in the morning, I noticed I felt much more refreshed and energized each day. I even had more energy to socialize!!!

9. I hate zoloft i told my doctor i was suffering from panic attacks and he prescribed me ativan(what i asked for) and zoloft. that stuff put my head through hell, gave me anxiety. I don't know why he gave me an anti-depressant for anxiety.

I guarantee you will find out in some news reports down the road that zoloft has some kind of detrimental effect on us.

Quote Originally Posted by rollyfingerz View Post
    I hate zoloft i told my doctor i was suffering from panic attacks and he prescribed me ativan(what i asked for) and zoloft. that stuff put my head through hell, gave me anxiety. I don't know why he gave me an anti-depressant for anxiety.

I guarantee you will find out in some news reports down the road that zoloft has some kind of detrimental effect on us.
    Well, Zoloft is FDA approved as a treatment for anxiety, so I'd imagine it's quite likely that that has something to do with the reason your doctor prescribed it to you.
    If your doctor prescribes you a medication & you don't even know why, I'd highly advise that you ask your doctor himself why he thinks you should be prescribed that medication & in what ways he hopes it will benefit you. The more communication you have with your doctor about your medications, the better. I can't stress that enough.

As for your last remark... there already has been news reports on detrimental effects that Zoloft can have. Why are you only concerned about potential "detrimental effects" that Zoloft can have, though? What about the Ativan you're taking? Are you not aware of all the "detrimental effects" that Ativan can cause, or are you just choosing to ignore all that because you're really liking your Ativan right now?

If you're not aware of all the very serious risk factors associated with Ativan, then it's extremely important for your own well-being that you educate yourself. Ativan can be an incredibly helpful medication, but it's also a very addictive one & if you're not careful you can wind up with a whole ton more problems than you started with as a result of it.

If, in fact, you're just conveniently ignoring the potential "detrimental effects" of Ativan because you're enjoying its effects, & playing up the dangers of Zoloft because you didn't ask for it & it's not "fun"... Then, well, you really need to learn that medication isn't all fun & games... Hell, when medication starts to be about "fun" it ceases to be medicinal.
    Helpful agram, Rescue3000 Rated helpful

11. Skeletal_Wings really hit the nail on the head. As far as the zoloft is concerned, some patients like taking their dose at night so they aren't tired during the day. Yet for some this leaves them feeling drowsy and unable to get out of bed the next morning. If you continue having those side affects you may want to consult your doctor about changing to a different medication.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

You may want to try Celexa or effexor, which are SNRI's (they inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine, the latter of which will not leave you feeling sleepy but energized instead). Wellbutrin would be my first choice, but you said you can't tolerate the side effects---though you didn't mention what side effects they were. Plus side effects sometimes become more tolerable the longer you take the medication as your body adjusts to it.

Another less commonly prescribed drug for treatment-resistant depression is an MAOI inhibitor (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). These medications are effective, will not make you sleepy, but require following a strict regimen and diet (no cheese, no wine, no certain types of foods, etc. or it could cause fatal interactions). Ask your doctor about an MAOI like nardil or marplan. Tricyclic antidepressants such as elavil or mirtazapine might also be an option. There are a lot of antidepressants out there. It's just that doctors are biased in favor of SSRI's because those are the safest, it's next to impossible to overdose on them, and they work in the majority of cases and require less monitoring.

Finally, I would stay away from St. John's Wort as it is not regulated by the FDA and pills may vary in potency and their safety could be called into question.

13. I don't know, paxil saved my life probably and it helped me sleep better. I used to be an insomniac because of depression/anxiety and when I did sleep it was nightmares and stuff like that. Now I just sleep great and solidly because I don't feel like crap all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by QVC1212 View Post
    Another less commonly prescribed drug for treatment-resistant depression is an MAOI inhibitor (monoamine oxidase inhibitor). These medications are effective, will not make you sleepy, but require following a strict regimen and diet (no cheese, no wine, no certain types of foods, etc. or it could cause fatal interactions).
    I've been looking into MAOIs, but it seems like they are hard to find online (at least at places I've heard of before. Plenty of hits on Google that may or may not be scams, though). Considering that they aren't scheduled substances, a lot of vendors seem reluctant to offer them. Any suggestions?

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@Gup I have yet to find any online iop that offers an MAOI. Because MAOI's are more dangerous due to potentially fatal interactions with food and wine than scheduled drugs, it represents a minority of real prescriptions from psychiatrists in the U.S. Which makes it virtually unheard of on the web. emedoutlet.com has tricyclic antidepressants such as doxepin, but if you find an MAOI on the web, let us know!! In 4 years I haven't found it mentioned even once, anywhere.

incognito_techguy will become famous soon enoughincognito_techguy will become famous soon enoughincognito_techguy will become famous soon enough

@Serena G i've been on a few before i found prozac to be the best one for me, but none have made me tired. zoloft would make digestive system not so happy... i was on Lexapro and i'll never take that again. i would have the most horrible dreams, i mean like horror movie dreams but vivid and i was the one causing the terror. i would remember them in detail throughout the day, and i was on it for 2 months. i could remember every dream i had those two months for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by QVC1212 View Post
    @Gup emedoutlet.com has tricyclic antidepressants such as doxepin, but if you find an MAOI on the web, let us know!! In 4 years I haven't found it mentioned even once, anywhere.
    @QVC1212 Well, I've seen a few places offer the selective MAOI-B inhibitor Selegiline, but that's about it. At sufficiently high doses it's supposed to lose it's selectivity.

One problem with it though, is that it will cause you to test false-positive for amphetamine. As an alternative, the MAOI-B inhibitor Rasagiline shouldn't have this problem, and is also available online (and also loses selectivity at sufficiently high doses).

incognito_techguy will become famous soon enoughincognito_techguy will become famous soon enoughincognito_techguy will become famous soon enough

@Gup testing falst-positive isn't a problem if your actually have a prescription and write it on the testing form so they can expect it. usually you need to bring a copy or a bottle of the prescription with you to a testing center. there is usually a section that asks what medications you are taking.

19. Anti-depressants work on a certain area of your brain that causes "stress". When you brain is out of chemical balance, and needs to get some stuff done, it puts the pressure on to get you to DO something about it. Some people have this part of their brain oveactive and they feel stressed, anxious and upset without any reason. So anti-depressants reduce your sensetivity to this area of your brain and you get a calm, relaxed feeling. However, your brain is not as easily "pepped up" and you feel quite drowsy.

maybe not exactly scientifically accurate, but this is how my freind in med school explained to me and I always liked the way it was worded

fredtatem is offline Banned Reason: Shill reviews. Vendor in disguise.

I take effexor 225mg a day and ativan 1mg x2 per day. I don't experience symptoms of being tired though..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast