Thread: How to ask for an increase in dosage...

1. Default How to ask for an increase in dosage...

I'm on three mgs of xanax a day. How should I ask my doctor for an increase??
    Last edited by exitbrooklyn; 06-15-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Why would you need so much Xanax? Do you have anxiety? In my opinion it totally kills the effects of Adderall. If anxiety is a long term issue for you - I'd ask him for Klonopin. It's less addictive and longer lasting.

I personally need both benzos and stimulants and don't think they cancel each other out. But I agree that's a lot of xanax. I wouldn't ask for more--I'd ask for something longer lasting, like klonopin. You DO NOT want to develop a benzo tolerance, and xanax is notorious for this.

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    I take Xanax & have been on it for 14yrs.I originally started out on 4mgs. a day & I stayed on that amount for about 13yrs.It has taken me over a year to wean myself down to .25mgs.Xanax is very addicting & it's not easy to get off it.I hope to get off of it completely & be able to take it only when I get a panic attack.

Jolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by slick76 View Post
    Why would you need so much Xanax? Do you have anxiety? In my opinion it totally kills the effects of Adderall. If anxiety is a long term issue for you - I'd ask him for Klonopin. It's less addictive and longer lasting.
    I agree, I'm on both Klonopin and Streterra (ADD non-stim med) currently and so far (a week in) it's working out for me.

I have been on Klonopin and Adderall and then Klonopin and Ritalin before when my psych and I were trying to find the right ADD med for me. Both did their job just fine and I didn't notice any adverse side effects from their interaction. From the ADD meds themselves, yes, but that's a whole other story.

I have to say the Klonopin actually helps my ADD by shutting my brain up a little!

Only warning with the Klonopin I would give is that at until you've used it for a week or so, it can make you drowsy, but the Adderall also helps combat that.
    Helpful naynay Rated helpful
    "Life is your right, so don't give up the fight!" - Bob Marley

6. Quote Originally Posted by poet616 View Post
    I visited a gp, took a chance, and flat out asked the doctor: "I used to be prescribed Adderall and Xanax. I haven't been on them for two years because I ran out of health insurance. Now that I'm here, can you prescribe them?" He complied. No hesitation at all. Didn't even ask for medical records. Put me on 20 mgs of Adderall in the morning, and 10 after lunch, and then 1 mg of Xanax three times a day. He actually gave me a script to last me two months (to reduce the doctor's visit cost, since I don't have insurance). The Adderall amount is dead on. It's exactly what I need. But I feel like my Xanax is underprescribed...I'd like to go from 3 mgs a day to 4. My second visit to him is coming up...Any advice on how to do this????
    wow sure wish i had a doc who could prescribe me something like that right out of the gate. had a bad experience w/ addy and xanax combined together, the benzos were hard to get off of

Jolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really niceJolie is just really nice

@poet616, forgot to actually give advice to you, sorry!

Just be honest with your doctor. It seems like she/he isn't one to withhold prescriptions. Tell her/him that it's not working for you and you are still having problems with anxiety and ask what she would think about increasing your dose.
    "Life is your right, so don't give up the fight!" - Bob Marley

MrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura aboutMrClean has a spectacular aura about

poet616, I do not think 3 mg of Xanax a day is not necessarily a high dosage. I know people who suffer from severe panic attacks that take more. Remember there are different clinical type of anxiety such as General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and others.

Panic Attacks are rated most severe and typically require a higher dose. Also, once you reach a dose that works for you, that dose will always work for you (contrary to popular belief). If your an addict looking to get high then yes it will require more and more. If you truly suffer from anxiety, the does required to stop the anxiety you will not require more.

Quote Originally Posted by slick76 View Post
    The whole idea of long acting benzo's being less addicting is outdated... Klonopin is just as bad as the rest imo.

I agree on previous posters that you're allready on a pretty high dose of xanax and if I were you i wouldn't ask for more. I also suggest you take a look at the long terem effects if benzo's and stories from long term users. There are some on this very forum. I cannot state enough that benzo's are useless and cause problems for long term usage. For short term usage (couple of weeks) they are fine though. Or 'as needed' once or twice a week, but you have to be careful.
    Last edited by DaneV; 06-15-2011 at 08:19 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by eagleweasel View Post
    I personally need both benzos and stimulants and don't think they cancel each other out. But I agree that's a lot of xanax. I wouldn't ask for more--I'd ask for something longer lasting, like klonopin. You DO NOT want to develop a benzo tolerance, and xanax is notorious for this.
    I have been taking 4 mg of xanax for years to cope with extreme social anxiety. I have been to many doctors and psych's over the years. Klonopin
    won't work for someone like me. I think the withdrawal from xanax would be unbearable. But Klonopin may reduce this? I don't know.

11. Typically, Although expensive, (depends on your insurance) doctors can do a study that tests your bodys physical reactions to different intervals of medications and different compounds. ( Sometimes this is referred to as quotient testing).

12. Have you done this? How do you ask for this kind of testing?Is it common enough to ask for without your Dr looking at you askance?
    Like Troubadour liked this post

Torr has a spectacular aura aboutTorr has a spectacular aura aboutTorr has a spectacular aura aboutTorr has a spectacular aura aboutTorr has a spectacular aura aboutTorr has a spectacular aura about

This is a tough one, one of three things can happen in this situation. 1, the doctor will increase your dosage and understand your need. 2, the doctor will say no and keep you as is and follow up at a later appointment. 3, they will freak out and think you are addicted and be afraid that he will be held responsible and take you off the meds. You have to be really careful, it all depends on the relationship with your doctor.