NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 690 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Tramadol and Effexor

pia
    pia is offline Senior Member
    pia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura about

Default Tramadol and Effexor

I just learned that Tramadol is molecularly similar to Effexor in that it has similar
    SNRI effects. SNRI inhibit the reuptake of seritonin and norepinephrine in the brain, as opposed to SSRI which only reuptakes seritonin.

Does any one know anything about this? I just began taking Effexor for depression. So I wonder if it is ok to take tramodol too?
    "Be happy while you're living because you are a long time dead"

Kat0711 is offline Honorable Member
    Kat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura about

@pia

I am not sure about effexor, but I am taking celexa with tramadol. My shrink was concerned because from what she said, tramadol has similar effects to the seritonin as the celixa which is an SSRI. The only effects I can report as I have just been on the celexa 8 days, is I was EXTREMELY sleepy for about 3 days after I started taking both. Now I just have a wee bit of a headache for the last 4 or 5 days. I really cant say that the celexa is helping all that much for my sevier depressive disorder, but she said it could take a few weeks. I dont know how similar celexa is to effexor, you might compare them and see.

Hope I could help you!

Have a good night

Kat
    Pain.... What a Drag

File Error 500 is offline Eminent Member
    File Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant futureFile Error 500 has a brilliant future

Taking two serotogenic agents puts you at risk of serontonin syndrome.
    Helpful pia, naughtysmurf, msaok Rated helpful

parogers is offline Distinguished Member
    I live in magic solitude of cloudy looking mountains
    parogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really niceparogers is just really nice

If I recall correctly, combining the two may be dangerous because of the possibility of serotonin syndrome.
    The idea of mixing them would def require more due dilligence as far as I would be concerned.
    Good luck.

wp
    Helpful pia Rated helpful
    I can resist everything except temptation ~ O. Wilde

Kat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura aboutKat0711 has a spectacular aura about

@pia

I looked up serotonin syndrome:

Serotonin syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope this helps. It is very interesting and I learned a lot. I would not be mixing them, but I am under a doctors care. Don't do it unless you are too.

Kat
    Helpful pia, poocheroo Rated helpful
    Pain.... What a Drag

pia
    pia is offline Senior Member
    pia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura aboutpia has a spectacular aura about

@Kat0711

Thank you Kat. I read the article and it was very helpful. I had no idea about seritonin syndrome. I learnd a lot.
    Like Kat0711 liked this post
    "Be happy while you're living because you are a long time dead"

Hugo is offline Senior Member
    Hugo has a spectacular aura aboutHugo has a spectacular aura aboutHugo has a spectacular aura aboutHugo has a spectacular aura aboutHugo has a spectacular aura aboutHugo has a spectacular aura about

There is an increased risk for Serotonin Syndrome when tramadol is combined with antidepressants such as the SSRIs, SNRIs, and tricyclics, but it's not a common occurrence. I was prescribed tramadol at the same time as Prozac and Demerol (two drugs that can potentially cause this syndrome) after my spine surgery years ago, and didn't have any problems (not that I was aware of the risk at the time). I would think that certain people are more susceptible than others, and the dosages used would be a factor too.

The psychologist I've been to recently to ask advice about TS and OCD/anxiety wanted to start me on Effexor, but as I still sometimes take tramadol I declined. I've heard that the withdrawal syndrome for Effexor is quite nasty due to its short half-life, so that put me off too.

sinister is offline Senior Member
    sinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enoughsinister will become famous soon enough

Even if a physician prescribes both you'd be better off not taking both. Physicians make mistakes and PCP's are the jack-of-all-trades, master of none.
    Jrama Queen

@sinister

I agree, I just wasnt given a choice to.. I have to comply by the mental health agreement I was made to sign when I went for help. It has a clause that if I refuse to take prescribed meds, they can dismiss me from the program.

Have a good day

Kat
    Pain.... What a Drag

msaok is offline Distinguished Member
    msaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Kat0711 View Post
    @sinister

I agree, I just wasnt given a choice to.. I have to comply by the mental health agreement I was made to sign when I went for help. It has a clause that if I refuse to take prescribed meds, they can dismiss me from the program.

Have a good day

Kat
    But agreeing to comply doesn't mean without question about legitimate concerns. And if it does, that's one lousy practice. Does the health agreement bind the doctor to any terms? He/she should have something to uphold as well. The question about serotonin syndrome is a good one and he should have an answer that's reassuring to you.
    I'd take notes during the session. Relate your concern and then document in his presence that he was notified of your concern. Ask him to please repeat as you jot. But truly, if you don't feel as if you can question a particular aspect of your treatment, you might be better served with a
    different physician (deep in the heart la la la). jmho

Quote Originally Posted by msaok View Post
    But agreeing to comply doesn't mean without question about legitimate concerns. And if it does, that's one lousy practice. Does the health agreement bind the doctor to any terms? He/she should have something to uphold as well. The question about serotonin syndrome is a good one and he should have an answer that's reassuring to you.
    I'd take notes during the session. Relate your concern and then document in his presence that he was notified of your concern. Ask him to please repeat as you jot. But truly, if you don't feel as if you can question a particular aspect of your treatment, you might be better served with a
    different physician (deep in the heart la la la). jmho
    My Shrink is the one who brought up this concern, She gave me one option and one option only, give up the Tramadol. I told her that my mobility depended on my taking this med as I have sevier Hip Displasia and bone spurs on my spine along with degerative disc disease with stenosis in my lower spine along with arthritis in my shoulders and ankles due to injuries sustained in my youth, she asked that I reduce the amount I was taking by half to compensate for the celexa. The agreement does have provisions for the docs to provide the best care that they can and protect my privacy. I looked for another way to get help in my area (the boonies) my choices were this facility or not getting help. I chose to get help. I am in therapy both for the depression and for substance abuse, both are no charge to me. I do have to pay for my meds, but I have health insurance coverage so I get the generics and I never have to pay over 4.50 for any of my meds. My substance abuse counselor told me at my last appt that she couldnt find a support group for me post program treatment without me having to drive 30 to 50 miles. Its much easier to be an addict here than to try to do the right thing. I just made up my mind I was sick of living my life the way I was and I WANT a better way of life. unfortunately, I have to take Tramadol or go back to pain management and I WILL NOT do that. I have never asked for help with the depressive disorder as I went undiagnosed most of my life. I have been on this combo for over a week now. the first 2 or 3 days, I was SLEEPY. Now, I just have a minor headache and that is getting better every day. She told me that it might take anywhere from 1-6 weeks to get the full benefit of the Celexa. OH JOY! I am taking my life back one day at a time and I am extremely proud of myself as I have not used narcotics since feb this year with no relapses. I am quite pleased with the treatment I have received so far and it has GREATLY helped me to live my life without narcotics and without thinking about offing myself every other day and sitting and crying 24/7. I think everybody is different and this is my ONLY option so I am grateful to have it.

Kat
    Pain.... What a Drag

msaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to beholdmsaok is a splendid one to behold

whoa @Kat0711
    To review: sinister said "Even if a physician prescribes both (tramadol & celexa) you'd be better off not taking both"
    after which you replied: "I agree, I just wasnt given a choice to.. I have to comply by the mental health agreement I was made to sign when I went for help. It has a clause that if I refuse to take prescribed meds, they can dismiss me from the program."
    Reading that I never would have guessed you were "pleased with your care and grateful for your options". It sounded more like you were complying under duress. Anyway, I'm glad you clarified that point.
    I only wonder if it might have been more prudent if she had tapered the tramadol first to see if you tolerate that before adding the ssri, since she obviously thinks taking both at the current dose puts you at risk. My guess is she is counting on the celexa as a neuropathic pain suppressant, which in theory at least, would mean you'd need less tramadol to cover your pain. Not a wholly unreasonable idea, but I hope there's a contingency plan that doesn't include you being disabled and in pain, in the event it doesn't work.

GoingBananas is offline Honorable Member
    GoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really niceGoingBananas is just really nice

@Kat0711 I read about what you said about the addiction and coming off opiates since Feb and also too about dealing with mental illness for the first time after having suffered with it all your life and I wanted to say you deserve a great life.
    Do not settle for less.
    You seem well on your way the way as it sounds like from the outside you are making great strides with the medical challenges and the psychological hurdles.

That is an incredible amount of stuff to be dealing with.
    I find this place can actually be a good resource for support as well at times.

I am guessing that your previous situation was dire if offing yourself was appealing on a semi-daily basis then life was probably not an endless joyride for you. ( It never was for me either, I always felt like they gave everyone else the instructions for how to laugh easy at dumb jokes and talk about the weather, meantime I could not figure out why I just could not stop worrying and be happy.)

So, take it slow.
    Don't compare yourself to others all the time.
    This is only a recipe for me to get more depressed as I will start to run over my own self for all the things I have not been able to do that others can.

Drink lots of water too. (Bottled, tap whatever you are into!)

From my experience I will say that I know that getting out of bed can literally be a victory, so celebrate every small one.

Peace and good luck!

chell55 is offline Eminent Member
    chell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant futurechell55 has a brilliant future

I hope everyone is careful with Ultram. While I was taking Wellbutrin I took two of my husband's Ultram one day because I was miserable. This was before I had decent pain management. Anyway, I eneded up having a seizure. I have never had a seizure before. The doctor's at the ER didn't really think that would cause it but it had to of been the combination of the two medications.
    I read up on Ultram after that and there are a lot of medications that will cause a seizure if taken with Ultram. I found out the hard way. They wanted to take my driver's license but I begged them not to. Finally they said they wouldn't if I agreed not to take Wellbutrin anymore. Nothing about Ultam.
    Last edited by chell55; 06-04-2012 at 07:46 PM.

whoa @Kat0711
    To review: sinister said "Even if a physician prescribes both (tramadol & celexa) you'd be better off not taking both"
    after which you replied: "I agree, I just wasnt given a choice to.. I have to comply by the mental health agreement I was made to sign when I went for help. It has a clause that if I refuse to take prescribed meds, they can dismiss me from the program."
    Reading that I never would have guessed you were "pleased with your care and grateful for your options". It sounded more like you were complying under duress. Anyway, I'm glad you clarified that point.
    I only wonder if it might have been more prudent if she had tapered the tramadol first to see if you tolerate that before adding the ssri, since she obviously thinks taking both at the current dose puts you at risk. My guess is she is counting on the celexa as a neuropathic pain suppressant, which in theory at least, would mean you'd need less tramadol to cover your pain. Not a wholly unreasonable idea, but I hope there's a contingency plan that doesn't include you being disabled and in pain, in the event it doesn't work.

@msaok

I know what I said might be contradictory,and it was not meant to be I am just paranoid about taking pills now plus, I did not want anymore meds but was told I HAVE to take the antidepressants most likely for the rest of my life, but overall, the therapy, group and such I am pleased with the treatment I have received. I have resumed my normal Tramadol dosage with no serotonin syndrome or any other repercussions so far, and I have a follow up with the shrink this week thank you for the response and I wish you well.

Love and kisses to all
    Kat
    Pain.... What a Drag

Quote Originally Posted by Kat0711 View Post
    @msaok

I know what I said might be contradictory,and it was not meant to be I am just paranoid about taking pills now plus, I did not want anymore meds but was told I HAVE to take the antidepressants most likely for the rest of my life, but overall, the therapy, group and such I am pleased with the treatment I have received. I have resumed my normal Tramadol dosage with no serotonin syndrome or any other repercussions so far, and I have a follow up with the shrink this week thank you for the response and I wish you well.

Love and kisses to all
    Kat
    No worries.
    Rule of thumb for me: Thou shalt not intrude where another is both happy and informed, which it turns out you are.
    Helpful Sj2011 Rated helpful
    Like Kat0711, sinister liked this post

no worries.
    Rule of thumb for me: Thou shalt not intrude where another is both happy and informed, which it turns out you are.
    very good rule!!!
    Like sinister liked this post
    Pain.... What a Drag