Thread: Explain the difference between opium, morphine, and heroin

1. Default Explain the difference between opium, morphine, and heroin

wikipedia doesnt give a rely clear answer, i just kno they all come from poppy

2. Opium is the white latex substance exuded from from the opium poppy, when they are slit open at harvest time. When dried, it turns brown (oxidizes) and becomes sticky and hard (from water loss.) People smoke this alone, or process it further into morphine base. The poppy species that contains opium is Papaver somniferum.

Morphine is one of many different chemicals present in raw opium (codiene, morphine, papaverine, and others are all naturally occuring in opium.) Morphine is refined by cooking raw opium with chemicals like lye, and ammonia. Pure morphine is the world standard of painkillers, and generally the number one choice of doctors for treating severe pain.

Heroin (diamorphine) is morphine that has been even further refined via chemical reaction with acetic anhydride. It is roughly twice as potent as morphine, and it crosses the blood-brain barrier much more quickly then morphine, when injected. This rapid onset causes the "rush" that people speak of when using heroin.

Heroin is a legal painkiller in the UK and other parts of the world, but it is still illegal in the US. At one point, in the late 1800's, it was an OTC drug, available at any drugstore without a prescription. In fact, it was touted as a non-addictive cure for "the soldier's disease-" morphine addiction. It was quickly realized that heroin was even more addictive, and it was thus banned.
    Here's a site that has a ton of info on opium and its harvest. Photos, too:
    http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/opi006.htm

All about heroin:
    http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/heroin/heroin.shtml

All about the entire class of opiates, opioids, and similar drugs:
    http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/opiates/opiates.shtml

opium is stuff that it is opium poppies.
    then you use it to make morphine,
    and then use morphine to make heroin.

i read that somewhere...

theres not much of a difference.

4. opium is just a blanket term for all opiates, if you were using opium you would just be using the poppy plant directly.

morphine is stronger, and we use it all the time for pain relief.

heroin can also be used for pain relief but is outlawed for all medical purposes in the US, but the UK uses it still, although we use opiates stronger than heroin so I'm not sure why. I think it's just the bad stigma.

both morphine and heroin are made from the opium synthetically.

SwayGirl has a spectacular aura aboutSwayGirl has a spectacular aura aboutSwayGirl has a spectacular aura aboutSwayGirl has a spectacular aura aboutSwayGirl has a spectacular aura aboutSwayGirl has a spectacular aura about

Seroisly, Im not trying to be rude but none of these answers come close.
    Do some home work. use ask.com and other search engines like that.
    Hope that helps
    [~SWAY~[
    _

6. opium is just a blanket term for all opiates, if you were using opium you would just be using the poppy plant directly.

morphine is stronger, and we use it all the time for pain relief.

heroin can also be used for pain relief but is outlawed for all medical purposes in the US, but the UK uses it still, although we use opiates stronger than heroin so I'm not sure why. I think it's just the bad stigma.

both morphine and heroin are made from the opium synthetically.
    Drug Rehab