Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Morphine worse than Norco

1. Default Is Morphine worse than Norco

I have been on Norco for about 1 year now for chronic pain prescribed by my doctor. I have suffered fromt his pain for the last 6 years. I was just wondering if morphine is worse and more addictive? I have heard it is somewhat like heroin. Yuck, I was just curious. Thanks.
    P.S. I already know that taking painkillers is not good for you and just masks the situation. So please, I dont need a lecture. Just an answer to my question. I am still in the process of trying to figure out how to eliminate the pain as much as possible so I dont have to take the pills.

Hi -

True addiction - as in a psychological addiction - should never become a problem in people who are taking prescribed narcotics for severe chronic pain, simply because you're taking them for pain relief rather than to achieve any kind of high.

A physical dependence still develops because of the nature of the drug, meaning that stopping abruptly will produce withdrawal just as in somebody who is abusing the same drug. However, in a pain patient whose medication use is well monitored and well managed by their doctor, this should never happen. If the drug is no longer needed, the dose is tapered off slowly so that any withdrawal symptoms are kept as mild as possible.

I don't know what your pain condition is or what you've tried already, but some alternatives may include non-narcotic drugs, physiotherapy/OT, hydrotherapy, a pain psychologist, etc.

All the best to you

3. Both morphine and hydrocodone (which is the drug in your Norco pills) are "somewhat like heroin" in that they're both opioids, just like heroin is. There's no need to be any more afraid of morphine than of hydrocodone on that account, though: hydrocodone is actually even more closely related to heroin than morphine is!

As for the addiction issue...well, as you already know, all of these pain-killers cause dependence, which isn't the same thing as addiction. I don't think that morphine is any worse than hydrocodone or oxycodone in that regard. They all cause dependence over time. I'm afraid that's just the price you have to pay for the pain relief they offer. If you're taking these drugs for chronic pain, then your risk of actual *addiction* is incredibly low.

trust me methadone is better

Methadone is evil if you ask me. Im not here to debat its usefullness or effectiveness, just the simple fact that its ruined many of my friends lives. So has heroin and other opiates, but methadone is soo easy to get and easy to OD on. Just my .02 is all thogh. Good day.

mlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enough

methadone is evil. I took one methadone pill (not sure what mg) but I seized and ended up in the hospital. probably had something to do with what was in system prior to taking it. anyways.. Is morphine worse than norco? technically morphine is better at treating pain so in that respect its better than norco. However morphine withdrawal can be horrible. The withdrawal symptoms of morphine generally include a whole range of physical sensations such as: uneasiness; abdominal cramps; diarrhea; nausea; vomiting; insomnia; chills; coryza; rhinorrhea; severe bouts of sneezing; lacrimination; perspiration; muscular spasms and twitching; involuntary kicking; acute aches in the abdomen, back and legs; cold and hot flashes; restless sleep; goose flesh; mydriasis; increases in blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, and the temperature of the body. Very similar to norco but much worse. Some people have painful random ejaculations. OUCH. So, in this respect morphine is worse than norco. Its really dependent on your pain level and if your using recreationally or therapeutically.

MikeALopez96 is offline Banned Reason: Shill reviews / trying to sell through PMs

yeah , is worse ,,,you will get addict it to it faster ....at least Norco you could stop taking it ...

mlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enoughmlo will become famous soon enough

You could definitely stop taking Norcos (and for that matter Morphine), but you will have withdrawal Ive experienced that first hand and its not fun. You should really never abruptly stop taking any opiate. You're just asking for bad withdrawal. Instead taper down to the smallest dose possible and then stop. You will still withdrawal but it wont be near as bad as going cold turkey.

9. morphine is only good thru I.V which i dont recommend norcos have 80% B/A orally. stick with hydros

GTOTemgesic is offline Banned Reason: Posting spam and shill reviews
    GTOTemgesic is on a distinguished road

Opiates are an equal opportunity source of addiction. If you are on that horse it doesn´t matter what color it is.
    Morphine, heroin, oxy-contin. Any of them. Too numerous to name. Have the same end result in the addicted brain.
    There is no way to be a little bit addicted or addicted in some better or more acceptable way.
    There is no right opiate to take to avoid addiction, or getting addicted as fast, or whatever it is you are trying to avoid.
    It is a bit like saying you are only an alcoholic when you drink beer. But with vodka you are just fine, or less of an alcoholic.
    See what I mean?
    Helpful QVC1212 Rated helpful

AB Negative is offline Banned Reason: Trying to sell through the forums
    AB Negative is on a distinguished road

I've tried both, in ALL forms, and can honestly tell you that Morphine is ALWAYS going to be better for you than Norco, because as a general rule the APAP (basically Tylenol) is more harmful to your liver than Opiates are, and Norco (a brand name) contains 325mg of APAP in each tablet. They come in 5/325s & 10/325s, so the higher Hydrocodone level Norco is still better though than the lower, obviously (10s are better than 5s).

Generally speaking MS Contin is one of the top selling Morphine drugs & is much safer to take than Norco, without a doubt.
    Hope that helps. Merry Xmas.
    AB-

@AB Negative Whoa whoa whoa Morphine is not better for you than hydrocodone. They are both nasty drugs and the withdrawal from Morphine is ten times worse and the efficacy of Morphine is way stronger. Generally speaking MS Contin is safer than Norcos? WHAT!!!!! Then why don't doctors prescribe it to people who have pain? Think about what your saying. MS Contin and Morphine have black box warnings because they have an extremely high abuse potential, Norcos do not have as high of a potential but still some of course. It is much easier to overdose on Morphine than Norcos because its much much stronger. Oh, also the medical world has deemed Morphine a schedule II drug because of how dangerous it can be and Norcos schedule III. APAP is bad for your liver yes, but if your not abusing them and taking them like candy and going over 4g over APAP a day you'll be fine. A good doctor will run hepatic panels to check your liver from time to time as well. I had read reports that when OxyContin came out they were saying how much safer it was than other opiates. ERRRR wrong, and they have proven that wrong, well society and the medical world has. Have you ever experienced an opiate withdrawal? I'm sure you have since you said you've tried all forms. Ive never met anyone who said Morphine withdrawal was easier than hydrocodone. I be around a lot of junkies and Morphine withdrawals have always been worse than my hyrdo withdrawals. By the way if you were to take 10 10/325 Norcos you still wouldnt be at the APAP daily limit. Try taking ten Morphine pills at once see what happens. Dude, be careful with what you say.

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@mlo I think you're spot on about the difference between norco and ms contin. I've taken both and my experience has also been that the withdrawals from ms contin are substantial whereas the withdrawals from hydrocodone (whether in the 5/500, 7.5 and 750 or the 10/325) has never been as bad. But then I've never taken over 10 in one day so maybe if you're popping it like candy it is as worse.
    MS Contin is schedule II and that means it has higher dependence and abuse potential than Schedule III. Hydrocodone by itself, I'd like to point out, is also schedule II, but only when it is by itself (DEA, Drug Scheduling) and I believe that in the U.S. there are no manufacturers of strictly hydrocodone by itself. But hydro combination products are all Schedule III, which aren't as bad as schedule II. Therefore, ms contin has higher abuse and dependence potential than norcos.

@QVC1212 yep hydro alone is schedule II but when compounded with the APAP is schedule III. Not sure why? Does it help reduce abuse because of the APAP? If you know let me know I'm curious. Cuz if pure hydro is schedule II which has a high risk for abuse and hydro with APAP is schedule III which has less of a risk for abuse is it the APAP that lessens the risk for abuse or is it the fact that maybe APAP scares people away from abusing Vicodin? ???

QVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant futureQVC1212 has a brilliant future

@mlo I don't really know the answer to that very excellent question. I would speculate that the abuse potential is lessened by the fact that it has tylenol in it, and it would scare some away from abusing it. And there are other medications rated different schedules depending on the combination. Codeine, for example, occupies a couple of different spots on the scheduled list. Again, it has to be the tylenol which somehow lowers the abuse potential because in high doses acetimenophen is hepatotoxic (toxic to the liver).

I kinda skimmed the thread, so if this has already been said I apologize. But in my experience morphine is more addictive than Norco. This may be due to the way I was administering my morphine though. Just my .02, which I enjoy throwing around from time to time

17. My 2cents......Morphine like hydro comes in many forms and many strengths. The little
    tiny blue morphine tabs, IMO, are roughly = to a 10/325 or a Cod/T #4. Also the little
    orange dilaudid fall roughly into that range. If you're worried about tylenol, take milk-
    thistle caps about 4 times a day. Many years of tylenol abuse and I have a clean liver
    screen.

AB Negative is offline Banned Reason: Trying to sell through the forums
    AB Negative is on a distinguished road

Default Check the facts (Morphine IS better than Norco...FOR YOUR LIVER ANYWAY)

I don't want to get into a long, protracted discussion, but there's really not a very good way of comparing these two drugs. There are also a lot of questions that I could address to both MLO & QVC.

The #1 thing to address is my reasoning behind saying that Morphine, as a general rule (and I'm talking about taken orally, like MS Contin) is better for you than Norco. Here's the simple version why: MS Contin CONTAINS NO APAP, which as any good doctor will admit, is far more damaging to your liver & kidneys than Opiates that don't contain APAP, hence the reasoning behind my conclusion that MS Contain & other Morphine based Orally taken drugs are better for you than Norco.

There are certainly a lot of factors in this decision though, so there's no way for me to say this is true for all situations. I realize that there's a much higher potential for addiction & overdose with Morphine based products, but that wasn't the question.

Also, the question was posed: "Why don't doctors prescribe MS Contin more often than Norco? Well, there are several reasons. First & foremost, the majority of doctors are always going to be nervous about prescribing Schedule II Meds like MS Contin. Secondly there's less potential for abuse with Norco & other Schedule III meds, hence the reason they're on the Schedule III as opposed to II. Also, if your doctor is putting you on a CII, odds are he's viewing your condition as acute (temporary), and doesn't think you'll be on Pain Meds on a long-term basis. That's why most dentists & oral surgeons use Lortab, Vicodin, & Norco for pain control. They're easier to get off of, harder to overdose with (due to the APAP content), and they're not scrutinized by the DEA like they would be if they were prescribing CIIs.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies a few issues & my views. I actually hold a degree in Chemical Pharmacology (no, this isn't the same as a pharmacists certification or degree & requires a lot more schooling). One of the reasons why I know so much about these pharmaceuticals is because even after all these years of being finished with college, I still keep up with the new drugs, new technology, & now that I'm affected by them, the science behind them.

I hope I helped shed some light on the question, albeit a very generalized question. It'd really be easier if you clarify what you mean as to which is worse for you. Also it's going to be difficult to compare the two since you're not really comparing apples to apples....

AB-

PS... Yes, my bloodtype is indeed AB-

Quote Originally Posted by mlo View Post
    @AB Negative Whoa whoa whoa Morphine is not better for you than hydrocodone. They are both nasty drugs and the withdrawal from Morphine is ten times worse and the efficacy of Morphine is way stronger. Generally speaking MS Contin is safer than Norcos? WHAT!!!!! Then why don't doctors prescribe it to people who have pain? Think about what your saying. MS Contin and Morphine have black box warnings because they have an extremely high abuse potential, Norcos do not have as high of a potential but still some of course. It is much easier to overdose on Morphine than Norcos because its much much stronger. Oh, also the medical world has deemed Morphine a schedule II drug because of how dangerous it can be and Norcos schedule III. APAP is bad for your liver yes, but if your not abusing them and taking them like candy and going over 4g over APAP a day you'll be fine. A good doctor will run hepatic panels to check your liver from time to time as well. I had read reports that when OxyContin came out they were saying how much safer it was than other opiates. ERRRR wrong, and they have proven that wrong, well society and the medical world has. Have you ever experienced an opiate withdrawal? I'm sure you have since you said you've tried all forms. Ive never met anyone who said Morphine withdrawal was easier than hydrocodone. I be around a lot of junkies and Morphine withdrawals have always been worse than my hyrdo withdrawals. By the way if you were to take 10 10/325 Norcos you still wouldnt be at the APAP daily limit. Try taking ten Morphine pills at once see what happens. Dude, be careful with what you say.

@ AB Negative

A lot of what you said contradicted your initial statement. You say that Morphine is better for you because it has no APAP in it, but really that's assuming you're going over 4000mg every day. I've been in and around medicine for awhile now. I went to school to become a medical assistant where a learned a lot and had the opportunity to be around a lot of doctors. I now go to school for Biology/Pre-Med. I also keep up in the medicine world.

Of course schedule III drugs have less abuse potential which is a reason why schedule II drugs like Morphine are not better for you. Morphine puts you at risk for becoming dependent especially if you're using it to get high. Not all schedule II drugs are PRN, MS Contin and OxyContin are for long term use and these are heavy drugs with heavy consequences. To say that Morphine is better then Vicodin just because the Morphine doesn't have APAP is like saying that Heroine is better for you since they are chemically almost identical. Yikes!

PS I should also add that I have taken lots of APAP during my Vicodin days and the doctors were shocked when I told them how much I was taking. They were equally shocked when my liver was in perfect health.

Looks like you've changed your reasoning only to the extent of the health of the liver. In that respect then yes you would be right that Morphine is better for your liver than Vicodin. But as long as the patient has normal hepatic and renal function then moderate levels of Vicodin are not as harmful as one would suspect. The harm comes when Vicodin is used for long term treatment when in my opinion it shouldn't be because of the APAP content. When the patient is taking 4g (4000mg) of APAP daily or more for years then this could be a problem.
    Last edited by mlo; 12-30-2010 at 02:44 AM.

mlo and AB: Both of you are connoisseurs of modern medicine. I have learned much from this thread. Thanks to both of you for the excellent dialogue!

I myself am only a former medic going to school for surgical technology, with a healthy interest in pharmacology, so I am rather out-classed. I have worked around enough PA's and doctors in a clinic while in the Army to hold my own I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast