Thread: tylenol with codeine for infected tooth?

1. Default tylenol with codeine for infected tooth?

i've been dealing on and on with an infected tooth since the summer. it comes and goes, but my dental insurance doesnt start until october of 2010 and it's a wisdom tooth.

it started last night again with horrid pain, so i filled the refill of my pencilin this morning and ended up going to the er and get something better then motrin 800 for the pain (its not helping at all this time)...so i got a scrpit for tylenol with codeine 300mg. is this good? Is it going to help? I didnt sleep at all last night and i am hoping to get some relief with this the next few days until the pencilin kicks in. i've never had it before and i told them no vicoden because it makes me way too sick, so i was just wondering how well it worked for bad tooth pain.

thanks.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    It may help temporarily with the pain---since it's a fairly strong combination of painkillers. However, as long as the source of infection is there, which is the infected tooth, then the pain will not disappear entirely. It may even worsen as the infection progresses.

3. thank you. i am on penicillin for the infection and i have been on it before so it should be fine. the tylenol 3 does help the pain but is making me feel a little sick.

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Just an info regarding antibiotics: it doesn't mean that a particular antibiotic worked for you on a previous infection, it should work just the same for your present condition. The antibiotic should be specific for the type of bacteria which was likely causing the infection.

5. Really, tinmuning? You really think Tylenol #3 is a "fairly strong combination of painkillers" ?? For an INFECTED WISDOM TOOTH? omg. Well, one thing is for sure, you've had better dental hygiene and/or luck than I have !!! LOL! That's the smallest dose of pain medicine that still needs a prescription and I would have had a horrid tummyache if I had to take CODEINE for three days waiting for an extraction (I've had four!). She's not a drug addict, hydrocodone is not heroin, and they should give her enough hydrocodone with minimal acetaminophen so that she can take enough (CAREFULLY) to get through the three days without the pain she describes as HORRID. She'll have to be on it for a few days after the extraction too - maybe a week or two weeks, depending on how bad the infection is. When you combine a painful infection and an extraction, you get a LOT of pain. And just because she hasn't taken pain medicine does NOT mean that the lowest available will be enough for her. A LOT of doctors just do that for their own comfort, and people don't even know that their pain can be greatly lessened. That's what the gods gave us pain medicine for! To use it when needed and then put it down!! SevenLadders, please don't be afraid to ask for a stronger medication if the T#3s don't help enough because your situation warrants it. In my humble opinion, SevenLadders is in danger of being the victim of all the Vicodin jokes on the television sitcoms. Pain is NOT a joke!! Hope your surgery goes well - you'll feel better soon.

6. P.S. If you got sick from vicodin before (hydrocodone=vicodin), then make sure you eat some crackers or drink some milk, and then lie down the first half hour after you take it. If that doesn't work, ask the doctor if you could have an anti-nausea medicine like compazine so that you can take the medicine, since this is just for short-term acute pain. They should help you deal with the side effects SO you can get relief.

Quote Originally Posted by delaney View Post
    Really, tinmuning? You really think Tylenol #3 is a "fairly strong combination of painkillers" ?? For an INFECTED WISDOM TOOTH? omg. Well, one thing is for sure, you've had better dental hygiene and/or luck than I have !!! LOL! That's the smallest dose of pain medicine that still needs a prescription and I would have had a horrid tummyache if I had to take CODEINE for three days waiting for an extraction (I've had four!). She's not a drug addict, hydrocodone is not heroin, and they should give her enough hydrocodone with minimal acetaminophen so that she can take enough (CAREFULLY) to get through the three days without the pain she describes as HORRID. She'll have to be on it for a few days after the extraction too - maybe a week or two weeks, depending on how bad the infection is. When you combine a painful infection and an extraction, you get a LOT of pain. And just because she hasn't taken pain medicine does NOT mean that the lowest available will be enough for her. A LOT of doctors just do that for their own comfort, and people don't even know that their pain can be greatly lessened. That's what the gods gave us pain medicine for! To use it when needed and then put it down!! SevenLadders, please don't be afraid to ask for a stronger medication if the T#3s don't help enough because your situation warrants it. In my humble opinion, SevenLadders is in danger of being the victim of all the Vicodin jokes on the television sitcoms. Pain is NOT a joke!! Hope your surgery goes well - you'll feel better soon.
    1. When I said "fairly strong" I meant compared to the other uncombined painkillers that WE usually prescribe for infected teeth (whether a wisdom tooth or not). This is also considering that the patient is already taking antibiotics since it helps bring down the "pain" by dealing with the infection.

2. It's hard to suggest a strong analgesic without you seeing the patient. For sevenladders' case, Tylenol #3 combined with antibiotics did help. If I see the actual patient and I have seen the severity of the condition, I would have prescribed a much stronger analgesic as appropriated.

3. I cannot speak for all dental practitioners, but prescribing the mildest possible painkiller (appropriate for the case) is not done for our own sake but for the patient. Of course you can all go and buy strong medications other than the one prescribed, the term "self-medication" is not invented for nothing. However, there are dangers of doing so and I think most patients know that.

8. It think it is better for you to ask your dentist about it.

It can help you a lot about your dental problem.

Your dentist can prescribe you the best medicine for you to take.

there are some side effects of Tylenol or (Acetaminophen (oral/rectal)

If you experience any of the following rare but serious side effects, stop taking acetaminophen and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:

* an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
    * liver damage (yellowing of the skin or eyes, nausea, abdominal pain or discomfort, unusual bleeding or bruising, severe fatigue);
    * blood problems (easy or unusual bleeding or bruising).

Other, less serious side effects are not known to occur.

Side effects other than those listed here may occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

DENTIST-ROSEVILLE.com

9. If you take one or two Benedryl, or the generic equivalent, before taking Vicodin or Percocet, you will not get sick. These pain medications used to make me horribly nauseous, until a pharmacist friend told this tip. It works beautifully.

Just passing on that tip!

I agree wholeheartedly with Dentistry and Tinmuning, take as weak of a pain med as you can. Many stronger pain meds can be addicting to some so try to avoid or take as few as possible. My son had an infected tooth, went to a free clinic and could get only Motrin as that was the strongest they were allowed by law to prescribe...maybe that's the case with Sevenladders? Glad to hear you're getting it taken care of quickly, you don't want to end up like I did. I had an infected tooth that I let go on for a little too long. They gave me penicillin only to have that send me back to the ER with a slight allergic reaction to the penicillin. I ended up with an extremely swollen face, jawline and neck to the point where an oral surgeon had to put me completely under, extract the tooth and place a drain in my neck to clear out the infection. Just a warning to those with infected teeth, it doesn't take but a few days for it to get as bad as mine so don't wait! Obviously, after my procedure they gave me Vicodin for a week and that was plenty enough for me. Of course, I can get by with 1000mg Tylenol and 800mg ibuprofen combined for most of my chronic back pain with Vico only once or twice a month. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones for now.

11. Codeine is habit-forming, so I'd think you ought to ask a doctor first about it. It is a potent analgesic yes, but I think it's a bit too much for an infected tooth.

12. The last time I had an abscess in my mouth all I could do was sit on the floor and cry from the pain until I took codeine. I didn't have access to a doctor so thank God codeine was OTC where I was. And all the codeine did was take the edge off so that I could barely function.
    Maybe mine was unusually bad, but codeine was definitely NOT too strong for my infected tooth. In fact I only wish I could have gotten something much stronger.