Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narcotic that doesn't make one sleepy

Default Narcotic that doesn't make one sleepy

Does anyone know of any narcotic pain killer that doesn't make a person sleepy or feeling "looped" I take Vicodin as needed for pain but can't take it during the day, when I need it most, because it makes me totally useless, drowsy and sleepy.

2. Have you tried tramadol? It is much weaker than vicodin but no sleepy effect. It's unfortunate that we are in the year 2011, and almost every pain medication revolves around opium still.

GoldenEagle will become famous soon enoughGoldenEagle will become famous soon enough

From my experience with pain meds - most all opiates cause drowsiness. You get used to it after a while and then won't cause you to feel tired. But if you're really concerned about that, consider a non narcotic instead.
    Always be GOLDEN!

4. I have been on a new medicine called nucynta. It is much stronger than hydro. But it works well on pain and does not cause you to be sleepy. And yes it is a Narcotic.

alexer34 is on a distinguished road

Fiorcet is narcotic- it has a barbituate. It works really well for mild to moderate pain, from personal experience. It's compounded with caffeine to combat drowsiness.

Toradol may be a good choice. I think it's effective.

I thought about nucynta. Whats the story on that med. Does it work?

Nubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really niceNubzor is just really nice

I too would try tramadol. I can't say from personal experience how it feels, but it also releases serotonin and inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine. One would assume the added serotonin & neph in your system would give you a bit of a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsoncar View Post
    It's unfortunate that we are in the year 2011, and almost every pain medication revolves around opium still.
    It might seem that way but there are many pain medications available that are not related to opioids especially those dealing with conditions associated with peripheral neuropathy like Neurontin, Lyrica and Symbyax.
    Also, aside from the obvious OTC drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen, there are the COX-2 NSAIDS such as Celebrex.
    There is toradol which has a somewhat limited application for chronic pain but is very useful in short duration.
    Many pain management practioners have found that treatment with antidepressants like the old school Elavil is effective when used in conjunction with NSAIDS.
    Of course, opioids will always be in demand from pain patients because of their unique ability to decrease the perception of pain and, in most cases, induce a level of euphoria.
    The problem has developed that, over the last decade in the US, stronger opioids like hydrocodone and oxycodone have been used in all types of pain treatment modalities that were fomerly not treated with these drugs. For instance, the hydrocodone combination med like Vicodin is now the most commonly prescribed drug in the country (131,000,000 prescriptions 2010) greatly surpassing medications like antibiotics, heart medicine, diabetic treatments, etc.
    This explosion of narcotic treatment has now created a severe backlash against their use and abuse, not the least of which is because of the recent rise in prescription drug overdoses and addiction overtaking all of the typical street drugs combined.
    It's not surprising to me that many physicians are more and more turning to non-narcotic pain treatments for their patients lately.
    Helpful drboris, fish_bulb Rated helpful

@alumni, you make a good point about the fact that there are a few other options out there, but the myriad side effects of many COX-2 NSAIDS make them a poor choice for a lot of people. Just look at the ask-a-patient reviews on Indomethacin here: INDOMETHACIN: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments or just look up the side effects here: Indocin, Indocin SR (indomethacin) Drug Side Effects, Interactions, and Medication Information on eMedicineHealth.

The only very effective pain medication I've ever experienced is tramadol, and even it comes with some side effects (feeling spaced out a bit, for example). For now though, it seems as though there aren't a lot of options outside of the more typical meds like Vicodin.

10. I have always oxycodone to be substantially less sedating than an equipotent hydrocodone dose.

I would have to say DHC. dihydrocodeine. I cant possibly sleep on that stuff until 6 hours, minimum after my last dose. Granted this will probably be different for everyone, but some people will defiently agree with me on this. It works just as well as hydrocodone for fighting pain IMO as well

fish_bulb will become famous soon enoughfish_bulb will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by yb62338 View Post
    I have always oxycodone to be substantially less sedating than an equipotent hydrocodone dose.
    I agree. I used to take a ton of Norco and the sedation would hit me before I felt any pain relief. With Oxycodone, the pain relief comes before the sleepiness, so I feel normal for just a little bit.

I tried tramadol and it made me drowsy, though I would wake up only after a few hours. Maybe that's just me.

I'm suffering from a very painful, chronic condition and when it flares up Vicodin is the only thing that helps. I've tried Tramadol but it's not enough. I'll ask my GP about the Oxycodone though. Thanks!!

tramadol has always made me a bit drowsy and has a similar feeling even though it is a non-narcotic...vicodin doesn't make me sleepy, but it used to, so it's obviously based largely on tolerance

what do you normally take that makes you feel "loopy"? since i have to take vicodin for my back on the mornings i have to go in to work (computer chairs are the worst on my back), i take a 5 hour energy and it wakes me right up, even if i was feeling a bit drowsy (and i get up at 5 in the morning on days i have to go into the office)

15. The term "narcotic" in itself implies "sleep-inducing". Compare with "narcosis" or "narcolepsy". Tramadol is the closest thing to an effective "non-narcotic painkiller", which seems to be what you are asking for.

RubixCube will become famous soon enough

Has anyone mentioned methadone yet? I take vicodin myself but have heard from various members in my pain & comfort group that take methadone regularly say the most annoying side effect for them is they can't sleep at night, makes them kinda wired. Of course meds effect people differently so one shouldn't go solely on word of mouth but you might want to discuss the option with your health care provider.

As for tramadol, just my opinion but I personally didn't like it. Does a lousy job on pain control and made me sleepy.

17. @996ttcab. Well I have been on it for 2 months. The effects are strong. I have always been use to hydrocodone. Nucynta is alot stronger as far as the narcotic effect goes..

18. I've heard oxycodone doesnt make you as sleepy but I have never had any myself

Quote Originally Posted by slctex View Post
    @996ttcab. Well I have been on it for 2 months. The effects are strong. I have always been use to hydrocodone. Nucynta is alot stronger as far as the narcotic effect goes..
    Does it produce euphoria like hydro?

all opiates wake me up, but I think oxycodone is know for a speedier, want-to-conquer something type of feeling. I've read that Dihydrocodeine has similar effects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast