NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 894 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain Meds - Vicodin Makes Me Sick

1. Unhappy Pain Meds - Vicodin Makes Me Sick

What are my options? I have severe and chronic back pain. Vicodin makes me vomit. I've tried just taking ibuprofen or naproxen, but it doesn't help enough. I'm in severe pain and my doctor is being completely unhelpful! If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Like MellowMind liked this post

kineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant futurekineticode has a brilliant future

Opiates will make you sick until you build a tolerance.There is nothing better for pain,but the addiction is horrible.Kratom powder works well for pain,but it tastes nasty.unless you make capsules with it.There is a new pain med called Nucynta,but it is an Opiate,and I do not know much about it.Oxycodone is the most popular,and it works great for pain.Tramadol is also another unpopular med you might try.You will stop vomiting from Vicodin,usually after a week or so,if you start with small doses.Consider youself lucky getting Vicodin from your doctor,because it is hard to get nowadays.

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

Ask your doctor to prescribe phenergan with the Vicodin. In a couple of weeks or less you'll be used to the medicine and can stop the phenergan. In the hospital they always give it with any pain shot just in case someone can't handle it and gets sick.

Also, you may find that Vicodin makes you sick but percocet doesn't. Or you may need to start with a low dose, like 5mg and move up from there.

_jenny_ is offline Banned Reason: Caused too many arguments and made too many enemies
    _jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice_jenny_ is just really nice

try 50mg of diphenhydramine (benadryl) or dimenhydrinate (dramamine) about an hour or so before taking the opiate (Vicodin in this case). Should take the nausea and dizziness away or at least reduce it to manageable levels.

you could also try reducing your dose of hydrocodone to a level that relieves the pain but doesn't make you puke, if possible.
    Like Keefus liked this post

I agree with taking Phernegan with Vicodin for nausea. I have ordered Phernegan from an Aussie drugstore and it works wonders for nausea. It is unfortunate it is not sold here, because it is a miracle drug. (So much for the land of the free, we have to fight to get our medications here unless we are extremely fortunate to have a concierge doctor.)
    Like MellowMind liked this post

I know some people that can take oxycodone (percoset) while hydrocodone (vicodin) makes them ill. For some reason oxy seems to be better tolerated. I would ask your doctor about this if you haven't already. Can't hurt to give it a try.
    Like Keefus, UGAgal liked this post

Billybarz will become famous soon enoughBillybarz will become famous soon enough

Did this start recently? Or after a period of time of taking them? The Tylenol in the Vics or any hydrocodone will make you really sick. The mgs of Tylenol they put in 7.5s / 750 the 750 is tylenol. This will make ur liver sick as hell. I took these for 4 yrs or so and requested Narcos which only has 325mg of tylenol. I fried my liver just from the stupid tylenol. My triglicerides (SP) went up t0 790, which normal range is 90 to 120. I switched to NO TYLENOL meds. The only prob with that is your tolerance will eventually go sky high. I now have my liver Tri's down to 190 after taking Tricor for 2 yrs. I found out the hard way that many side effects and morning lizard tounge is due to Tylenol. There are many pain meds with no Tylenol-like Roxicodone start lower MG, 5 mg or 10mg that shouldn't be as bad. Food for thought. Drink lots of water which will save ur kidneys and liver etc.. drink tons of liquid if this is going to long chronic pain. As per the stomach meds, they all help too. If u are having a adverse reaction to the opiates. I'm sorry u feel bad. Take care
    Helpful Binky, waterlogged Rated helpful
    Like C_Dub, snowangel308, oceanfiresky liked this post

northstar77 is offline Banned Reason: Multiple accounts and sending dubious PMs. Don't trust anything you read from this guy.
    northstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to beholdnorthstar77 is a splendid one to behold

@laffytaffy what website did you order phenergan from? Sometimes when I take certain meds my old doctor would prescribe it. When I asked my new doc he said to just eat with the meds and I should be fine but it doesn't work. If anybody can help Id be very thankful.

Oh another thing Ive heard that helps with nausea is Vistoreal or I think the generic is hydroxyzine. It is related to benadryl also. I dont know how hard it is to get but I read an article about someone getting it to help them with their stronger pain meds.

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    I too got sick to my stomach whenever I was prescribed Hydrocodone.The doctor gave me phenergan & that took care of the nausea.Since that time I got used to the hydrocodone & I no longer needed to take the phenergan.Good luck.
    Helpful Keefus, oceanfiresky Rated helpful

lseven7 is offline Banned Reason: Email vendors not allowed
    lseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of lightlseven7 is a glorious beacon of light

I think it unanimous, 25 mgs of Phenergan (promethezine) is what most docs script for oppie nausea. I know my doc gave it to me when I had no tolerance. You can also ask a pharmacist what would be the best over-the-counter med to handle the nausea, if you don't feel like you can talk to your doc.

12. I have the same problem. If I break a hydrocodone pill in half, I'm usually okay, but I still have pain. If I take a whole one (which I'm supposed to according to my prescription), I'll get sudden and violent bouts of vomiting/nausea. It's really terrible. That's why I'm on this forum now; I'm trying to find a decent place to order some codeine from. I used to be a member of drugbuyers and buy codeine (nurofen) from New Zealand, but that forum has closed now. Codeine has never given me nausea like the hydrocodone does.

sjccdien will become famous soon enoughsjccdien will become famous soon enough

Drink some peppermint tea. I would get sick too but tea would help calm my stomach and make the symptoms of the medicine manageable.

amp12815 will become famous soon enoughamp12815 will become famous soon enoughamp12815 will become famous soon enoughamp12815 will become famous soon enough

Vicodin/hydrocodone does make some people sick. Have you ever tried oxycodone? It is def stronger, but you may be able to tolerate it better.. Also maybe try taking some promethazine (phenergan) to help with the nausea

Quote Originally Posted by butchergirl View Post
    What are my options? I have severe and chronic back pain. Vicodin makes me vomit. I've tried just taking ibuprofen or naproxen, but it doesn't help enough. I'm in severe pain and my doctor is being completely unhelpful! If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    So sorry about your pain problem. I have had multiple surgeries & have limited tolerance for some meds. I am allergic to Phenergan. The most helpful medication I have found to take in conjunction with other meds is Zofran. This is not a cheap med without insurance. But, well worth the cost.
    Helpful merrymiau Rated helpful

MojaveJoe has a spectacular aura aboutMojaveJoe has a spectacular aura aboutMojaveJoe has a spectacular aura aboutMojaveJoe has a spectacular aura aboutMojaveJoe has a spectacular aura about

Phenergan is great for opiate nausea. As a result, you can get away with as little as a quarter of a pill to stop the nausea. This helps because Phenergan can really put you to sleep. You won't need it for long. Perhaps as little as a week.

In a pinch I hear you can use dramamine too and that's legal without a script.
    Like SpaceMatters liked this post

Try taking it with a beer

babyjesus318 is offline Banned Reason: shilling and pushing vendors and email vendors that selectively scam board members
    babyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to beholdbabyjesus318 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by mistman23 View Post
    You could always plug your pills.
    not a good idea when you're on the bus or subway. but i guess if you were stealth enough. prolly get some strage looks from the other passengers.
    Like oceanfiresky liked this post

@butchergirl Go back to your GP, your dose needs adjusting. Phenergan will prevent nausea but it'll also make you very drowsy. Your GP can advise or prescribe a more suitable anti-emetic. There are some pretty good ones available, that will not cause drowsiness.

Quote Originally Posted by northstar77 View Post
    @laffytaffy what website did you order phenergan from? Sometimes when I take certain meds my old doctor would prescribe it. When I asked my new doc he said to just eat with the meds and I should be fine but it doesn't work. If anybody can help Id be very thankful.
    I got the phernergan from an Australian pharmacy site. One little bottle cost me about 40 US, but it was worth it. It was the best anti nausea medicine I ever had.
    Helpful UGAgal Rated helpful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast