Thread: Pain killer safe to take with Ritalin?

1. Default Pain killer safe to take with Ritalin?

Hi, I wonder if anyone with some pharmacological knowledge could inform me about the interaction between Ritalin and various pain meds. I take rit daily but I have a knee injury (chronic pain for two months now) I don't take pain killers on a regular basis and I find that doctor's knowledge of drugs and interactions is often limited. Any pharmacologists out there who can pass on some info?
    Like Keefus liked this post

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    As far as I know, pain meds to stay away from when taking Ritalin are the tramadol-containing meds. Common pain meds for musco-skeletal problems such as ibuprofen can be taken.
    Helpful Keefus Rated helpful

3. Thanks for the reply could you tell me why tramadol shouldn't be taken with Ritalin I just like to get as much info as possible. Is there an article or something you could refer me to?

4. yea you should be ok

riverstyx is offline Banned Reason: Promoting a rival forum, spreading lies about this site
    riverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond repute
    riverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond reputeriverstyx has a reputation beyond repute
    well, i am no longer a walking PDR.
    however, i take various anti-narcolepsy meds.
    ritalin being the one i took for last few months. till my real one arrives.

and, i took codeine, soma, and, due to a broken leg, badly broken in several areas, i took with the ritalin, hydro, perc,oxy.

real. with script. and then, less than, without script, and i did not just say that.

if u google, or ask.com, what pain med is contraindicated with ritalin, then u will get answers.
    but, for me, no interactions. none.
    Like MattMar liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Hi, I wonder if anyone with some pharmacological knowledge could inform me about the interaction between Ritalin and various pain meds. I take rit daily but I have a knee injury (chronic pain for two months now) I don't take pain killers on a regular basis and I find that doctor's knowledge of drugs and interactions is often limited. Any pharmacologists out there who can pass on some info?
    If one or the the other is scripted, ask the pharmacist.

7. Personally, I'd ask the prescribing physicians in addition to the pharmacist. If they tell you to ask walgreens, you seriously need to find a new doctor. (Believe it or not it isn't that uncommon.) That said, most of us are here due to financial (insurance) issues or lack of decent medical care - myself included. And after reading so many b.s. posts tonight, seeing a member ask about the safety of two meds, is a breath of fresh air. I will do my best to answer your questions, but it's not a substitute for a licensed MD's opinion.

First, what pain medication and dosage are you talking about? Also, is taken in pill, liquid, patch, or iv/injection form?

Also, what dosage and type of ritaline are you on? And I HATE to ask, but have you been diagnosed with ADHD or Narcolepsy?

Are you taking anything else? OTC meds, prescriptions, natural/herbal/holistic treatments, etc etc?

Whether or not the combination (particularly stimulants if you're not on heavy duty, iv pain meds) is safe should be determined by your overall health. Assuming you're not abusing pain meds and you're taking rit responsibly, it can be combined safely -provided your liver function is within normal limits, and you do not have an underlying cardiac condition. Yet, I do not know your medical history, age, conditions, or specific pain medication you are talking about. . . And some have severe side effects that can turn into a medical emergency.

Sorry if this is a little unclear - I'm really not feeling well.
    Anyhow, I am (or was) a chemist and md student. Yet, I am NOT a doctor.
    But when I was still functional, I was prescribed Adderall (dxed with adhd) and have been placed on various painkillers. I'd wind up repeating the risk factors I was informed of and/or my personal experience.
    Like Mazza liked this post

Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    Binky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond reputeBinky has a reputation beyond repute
    @Mazza
    I take Dexedrine for ADD & I also take pain medication for my lower back pain.I take Norco & have taken it with the Dexedrine for over 5yrs.I haven't had any side effects from taking them together.The only thing that I've noticed is that I don't get as tired from the pain meds. when I'm on the stimulant.Hope this helps.Good luck.
    Like riverstyx, Mazza liked this post
    “These wounds, they will not heal” Linkin Park

I would recommend asking your pharmacist as opposed to your doctor as they tend to be more knowledgable and certaintly more willing to help in my experience. Yes, this is a very trusted site, but just to make sure that people's experience with two interacting meds may differ it is important to ask your pharmacist since he knows your medical history (or should) and the dosages of each medicine your taking

jpoker27 will become famous soon enoughjpoker27 will become famous soon enoughjpoker27 will become famous soon enough

i really wouldnt worry about it, i have done it many many times without a second thought. and if you are that concerned, I'd say you are prob OK.

monkey gone to heaven has a spectacular aura aboutmonkey gone to heaven has a spectacular aura aboutmonkey gone to heaven has a spectacular aura aboutmonkey gone to heaven has a spectacular aura about

I've had no problem taking codeine, ibuprofen,and Vicoden with Ritalin and it seem to cause no ill effects. You should probably not use more than recommended dosages.

I have to admit when I rarely now overdo the Ritalin I find Vics and a couple of Xanax seem to ease the crash.

If in doubt please see your Physician or Pharmacist.
    Hope you feel better soon

tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    tinmuning has a reputation beyond reputetinmuning has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Thanks for the reply could you tell me why tramadol shouldn't be taken with Ritalin I just like to get as much info as possible. Is there an article or something you could refer me to?
    From drugs.com interaction checker:
    MONITOR CLOSELY: The risk of seizures may be increased during coadministration of tramadol with any substance that can reduce the seizure threshold, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI antidepressants or anorectics), monoamine oxidase inhibitors, neuroleptic agents, central nervous system stimulants, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants, other tricyclic compounds (e.g., cyclobenzaprine, phenothiazines), carbapenems, cholinergic agents, fluoroquinolones, interferons, chloroquine, mefloquine, lindane, and theophylline. These agents are often individually epileptogenic and may have additive effects when combined. Many of these agents also exhibit CNS- and/or respiratory-depressant effects, which may be enhanced during their concomitant use with tramadol.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is advised if tramadol is administered with any substance that can reduce the seizure threshold, particularly in the elderly and in patients with epilepsy, a history of seizures, or other risk factors for seizures (e.g., head trauma, brain tumor, metabolic disorders, alcohol and drug withdrawal, CNS infections).

13. I have never really had a problem taking pain meds with my ritalin but also I have a tendency to not take my full dose of ritalin when I am using pain meds because most of the time if I am in a lot of pain I can't focus on getting my work done anyway. I do think it will make your blood pressure go up a bit so you would need to watch this depending on your over all health.

There's nothing contradictory about the two classes of drugs (stimulants and pain medications). Their effects wouldn't compound on each other and become dangerous. Probably what you'd need to worry about is liver interactions. If, say, they're both processed by the same enzyme, your blood levels could get thrown off, and that could be dangerous or undesirable.

But, yeah, ask a pharmacist. It's their job to know the answer to that.