Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zohydro??

core2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud ofcore2duo has much to be proud of

Lightbulb Zohydro??

So a California based company has finally done what I've been waiting for. It's called Zohydro and it's in the final stages with the FDA (supposed to be out in late 2012 or early 2013). It's pure Hydrocodone......No APAP! It will come in 10mg, 20mg, and 40mg capsules I believe. I think there is an ER version as well. I have always wondered why this did'nt exist when drugs like pure Oxycodone have been around forever, And yes it will be a CII drug. Of course there will be no generic and it will be expensive as hell. This company is gonna make big $$$$$$$$ on this one. Probably more than Purdue when OC went big.
    Like Cranberry liked this post

From what I've heard in chronic pain circles, Zohydro will contain controlled-release hydrocodone. I'm curious as to whether the company making it will use a 'tamper-proof' formulation (like the new OxyContin)? If not, it would really surprise me if we don't see it being heavily abused like the original 'OC' OxyContin tablets.

I also read that a morphine/oxycodone combination tablet is in clinical trials, which sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Hugo; 01-05-2012 at 08:23 AM.

I did a study for this awhile back. I don't know about zohydro in particular, but I took what was just described as Hydrocodone extended release 40mg. I called it hydrocontin. They weren't like the OPs or the OCs exactly. More like the OC definitely though. @Hugo At least with hydrocodone, there are some serious complications (pulmonary edema) that come from IV hydrocodone in larger doses, similar to IV codeine. That should stop some abuse hopefully.

In a lovely wooded area where the birds sing
    Lynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant futureLynx4 has a brilliant future

The latest articles say that the formulation is not yet abuse proof because they feel that many meds on the market can be defeated. They said if asked they would consider using the same type matrix that OC has. I'm trying to figure out why the newpapers and online articles are going crazy when Opana or roxies could be shot up with much more euphoria than Zyhydro could. I think they would do this with any pain medicine.

The article I read made me mad and amused at the same time. The US uses 90% of all hydrocodone products and 80% of all oxy products. Duh. Could it be because for the most part these items are not legally exported? We make 'em here, we keep 'em here. Just once I want someone to give all the details. Now this summer I'll have to listen to my sister freak out and spend an hour describing what is going on.

@Lynx4 yep, US uses a lot of synthetics. Hydros and Oxys for normal shit, and hydromorphone for real pain in hospital settings.

As in EU they use a lot of natural type opiates. Codeine and DHC for normal shit. Diacetlymorphine or Morphine for real pain in hospital setttings.

(Yes I know heroin is produced synthetically, but the base drug is morphine a natural opiate. So more of a modified natural opiate, morphine + acetic acid)

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 11 minutes after the last post:*

And I forgot, the first part. The whole abuse proof pills is a racket. There is a way around all of them. The most advanced 12hr ER system is the TimerX used on Opana ER. People slam those all the time no problem. Using either its solubility in alcohol, or just throw in a glass of 8ml water for 12hrs.

If it sits in your stomach 12hrs all the medicine is released slowly over that time, even when the pill gels. Oxymorphone is soluble in water, so you get the nasty gelled pill and chuck it. Then you have A glass of water, that is really 5mg/ml oxymorphone solution. In other words for a junkie, 8 big shots of shit way better than heroin from 1 pill. When I say big shots, 5mg oxymorphone IV = about 100mg oral oxy. So 1 Opana 40mg ER divided and IV'd, is like 800mg of oxycodone.

Thats there billion dollar TimerX system, throw it in water for 12hrs and wait. Problem will always be there. The TimerX was raved about as the most advanced system ever, way more so than the OPs. Took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to break them down.
    Last edited by akl63; 01-05-2012 at 09:02 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by jayther2 View Post
    So a California based company has finally done what I've been waiting for. It's called Zohydro and it's in the final stages with the FDA (supposed to be out in late 2012 or early 2013). It's pure Hydrocodone......No APAP! It will come in 10mg, 20mg, and 40mg capsules I believe. I think there is an ER version as well. I have always wondered why this did'nt exist when drugs like pure Oxycodone have been around forever, And yes it will be a CII drug. Of course there will be no generic and it will be expensive as hell. This company is gonna make big $$$$$$$$ on this one. Probably more than Purdue when OC went big.
    Even without the time release component I always baffled as to why there was not hydrocodone equivalent of Roxicodone. Seems like there would have been a ready market for it.

7. What about the hearing loss associated with long term hydrocodone usage?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfingers View Post
    What about the hearing loss associated with long term hydrocodone usage?
    Half the CPPs here are already on hydro longterm. I was taking 8 10/325s a day forever before I finally got bumped up. A lot of people never get bumped up to a stronger drug.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfingers View Post
    What about the hearing loss associated with long term hydrocodone usage?
    Are you saying that is maybe the reason there was no hydro equivalent of Roxi or that that is a concern with the new medicine coming out? I don't see how that would matter since people are already taking hydro long term. The hearing loss is an issue either way I suppose.

The hearing loss problem is associated with synthetic opioids in general, not just hydrocodone.
    I commented on the potential approval of this XR hydrocodone someplace else here but I'll say it again.
    I believe this is a completely unnecessary medication that will do very little at all to improve pain treatment in the US. The reason no formulation like this has been introduced to date is simple. There's no medical need for it.
    Hydrocodone and oxycodone actually have similar analgesic potency somewhat like the comparison between codeine and DHC. Oxycodone tablets without APAP are already available as is ER oxycodone (OxyContin).
    If you read the application information submitted by Zogenix, you'll see their focus on preventing abuse like requiring 30 day physician visits prior to dispensing. The company has already offered to use an abuse-proof formulation similar to the new OxyContins if requested.
    The XR dosages are also much smaller in content than OxyContin's.
    So, basically, introduction of this drug will simply be another abuse-proof, weaker, smaller dosage C-II painkiller alternative to oxycodone that will be extremely expensive for at least 17 years while on patent.
    I know there are patients who will believe they are "allergic" or in some way prefer hydrocodone analgesia over oxycodone but that has to be the unusual exception to the overall base.
    The doctors I have spoken to have indicated no enthusiasm for this drug and seem to just put it in the same prescribing guidelines as OxyContin, if at all. The most common comment, "What's the point?"
    Pharmaceutical highway robbery. The kind I read about often on this discussion board when posters vilify big pharma for making expensive new drugs that nobody really needs. This is one for sure in my opinion.
    Like Hugo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    The doctors I have spoken to have indicated no enthusiasm for this drug and seem to just put it in the same prescribing guidelines as OxyContin, if at all. The most common comment, "What's the point?"
    Pharmaceutical highway robbery. The kind I read about often on this discussion board when posters vilify big pharma for making expensive new drugs that nobody really needs. This is one for sure in my opinion.
    I know people are maiking a big deal about the "Hydrocontin", sure its about time they came out with it and thats good...
    but after reading some of the pharmaceutical releases they make it sound like some kind of great advance in medicine. I mean c'mon.

If you invented a can of beer, and 20 years later I came out with Olde English 40.. I don't think too many people would be cheering my new accomplishment. Best analogy I can think of, sorry.

"Hydrocontin" shoulda came out in 1995 just like Oxycontin did, same exact principle with 2 very similar drugs.
    Like renwick, Hugo liked this post

12. Based on reading alumni's post it sounds like the real impetus for the new hydro formula is the pharmaceutical industry, not medicine. Lots of patents expiring I guess and new formulas are need to feed the beast.
    Like resorts liked this post

That's about the size of it in the case of this drug.

14. I wonder if this new formulation will bump hydrocodone to a controlled 2 substance instead of the current 3. If not it would be easier for the patients who currently take Controlled 2 substances to give Zohydro a shot. I'd love to be a guinea pig for Zohydro, im sure there will be a lot of happy campers.

15. I heard that about hydros (when I could hear) but always blamed it on loud headphones 12 hours a day. It's not real bad but sort of.
    I feel much better about not blaming music. Wonder why it does that?

wait....so when i take a hydro and feel like my ears are sensitive im really not crazy? I always hate taking them and going out to loud restaurants as i fealt like everyone is yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by slctex View Post
    I wonder if this new formulation will bump hydrocodone to a controlled 2 substance instead of the current 3. If not it would be easier for the patients who currently take Controlled 2 substances to give Zohydro a shot. I'd love to be a guinea pig for Zohydro, im sure there will be a lot of happy campers.
    Hydrocodone, when not compounded with another drug (e.g. APAP or ibuprofen) is already a C-II substance.

18. Good to know, thank you

lister will become famous soon enoughlister will become famous soon enoughlister will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know how much/long hydrocodone use has to be before it contributes to hearing loss? I have a little in my right ear, and also thought it was due to loud music in my youth. Any links to information would be appreciated~!
    thanks!~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast