NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 950 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suboxone vs. Oxycodone

Question Suboxone vs. Oxycodone

I am just curious because I have seen some people on subs for almost a year. I am trying to understand as I do not know what a suboxone feels like, but are you obtaining the same euphoria that you receive from an oxycodone? If so what is the mg comparison equivalency to reach that "high"
    Thanks,
    trying to help a friend or two

Buprenorphine is much stronger than oxycodone, milligram for milligram, but it has less activity at the mu opioid receptor than 'full' agonists like oxycodone and morphine. In equivalent dosages they provide the same analgesia. Don't know about the 'high', I'm afraid. I've only been prescribed these two drugs for pain relief, and I've never felt any real euphoria from either of them - just some much needed analgesia.
    Like Stevo1, betsky liked this post

Gladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to behold

@ducheese
    The feeling you get from Suboxone is nothing like taking a painkiller. I do notice a little feeling of well being for the first hour or so after taking a small dose of Suboxone. The first week of taking this medication you do get a little high feeling I guess. The real positive results I get is no desire to seek any pain medication. The other plus is if you were to take any opiate painkiller the euphoric feeling would be blocked. Suboxone is a strong medication that should only be used if you and your doctor feel the pros of Suboxone outweigh the cons. Some people feel it is just another crutch, but for me after a serious car accident over 2 years ago it is a better alternative then 6-8 hydros everyday! I know they are doing some research on pain relief and cases of extreme depression. In other countries it is used as a painkiller. I think for many chronic pain suffers using opiate medication in moderation is a better alternative then Suboxone. It just depends on what you and your doctor feel is the best way to manage your pain.
    Helpful tzabcan Rated helpful
    Like Stevo1 liked this post
    Live Free or Die

4. You will not get very much of a high feeling from subs. I think its a great med and controls withdrawels nicely and it isnt that bad to stop taking as well.
    Like tzabcan liked this post

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

If you have a high tolerance to oxycodone you will not receive euphoria from taking subs. That is kinda the point of them, they are intended in most cases to get people off other opoids like oxy, hydro or heroin. The benefit is that you can get them from a doctor that is certified to prescribe them which can be hard in some areas to find plus each doc can only treat one hundred patients at a time for sub treatment if I'm nit mistaken. Also they have a ceiling effect of 32mg and the naloxone in suboxone will make you go into withdrawal if you try to shoot it, subutex on the other hand has the same active ingredient buorenorphine just without the nsloxone that's why doctors prefer to prescribe suboxone instead of subutex, plus no generic for suboxobe.

In my experience subs worked very well for I started taking 24mg daily when I was coming off a 300-400mg daily oxy addiction. Downside is sub doctors can be hard to find and the intital visit usually costs around $400 and the medication itself cost me around $400 a month. Relatively speaking though that was cheap compared to the money I was spending on pills and dope.

I guess to answer ur question though someone with little it no tolerance to opoids can catch a good "high" with subs but you font get the same rush as with oxy etc. Just my opinion and personal experience.

Forgot to mention sub withdrawal is very bad also worse than oxy in my opinion, it is nothing to fool around with. Hope I helped even a little.
    Helpful Stevo1 Rated helpful
    Like Gladheart liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by duchesse View Post
    I am just curious because I have seen some people on subs for almost a year. I am trying to understand as I do not know what a suboxone feels like, but are you obtaining the same euphoria that you receive from an oxycodone? If so what is the mg comparison equivalency to reach that "high"
    Thanks,
    trying to help a friend or two
    I've only taken suboxone once and it was in the form of a thin, orange, disolving strip placed on the tongue. I didn't experience any type of euphoric feeling from it whatsoever. However, I did SLEEP.....for about 10 hours. Mind you, I usually take roxicodone, but was in transition as a patient in a new pain clinic and was completely out of medication until my appointment. So, I probably still had some roxicodone in my system--and I've been told that suboxone will not work correctly if you have recently taken any kind of opiate.

Coheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud ofCoheed has much to be proud of

They day you will go into immediate withdrawal if your addicted yo opoids and have them in your system and take subs cuz the subs bind more efficiently to your opoid receptor. That us nit always true but ur supposed to wait till your in withdrawal to take them. And yes they do gave the film strips now. When I took them I took 3 8mg nasty orange tasting pills daily. We used to call them orange peels. Uggh nasty just thinking if them

LiquidOrgasm is offline Banned Reason: Attempted selling through the forum; multiple accounts
    LiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to beholdLiquidOrgasm is a splendid one to behold

Lightbulb Supposidly

Quote Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
    They day you will go into immediate withdrawal if your addicted yo opoids and have them in your system and take subs cuz the subs bind more efficiently to your opoid receptor. That us nit always true but ur supposed to wait till your in withdrawal to take them. And yes they do gave the film strips now. When I took them I took 3 8mg nasty orange tasting pills daily. We used to call them orange peels. Uggh nasty just thinking if them
    Supposidly they are only going to have the strips at some point, as each strip has a code on it that can be scanned to trace back to the original person who had the RX - the purpose is to curb diversion of the medication.
    Helpful Gladheart, jeepdude8 Rated helpful

@LiquidOrgasm I heard the same thing, I was very intrigued when I heard they came out with the strips but I was already off them and had switched to methadone cuz I was in a new state without a sub doctor and also couldn't afford the ridiculous costs of the visits. Its not like the clinic prices are really any cheaper per month but at least I didn't have to have all the money up front.

A few people at my clinic take subs and they still give out the pill and charge an absurd amount like $20 a day I believe.

10. I take Suboxone daily and have been on it for about 5 years. I was abusing pain meds on and off for eight years, and after another rehab I was put on it again (I had been prescribed it before). It helped that I had an epiphany and was ready to live my life, to go back to school, and stop the nonsense, but it certainly did help that I couldn't go back to the Lortab and Oxy while on it. I agree that it does give a bit of a boost, but not a high per se--I just feel better after I take it. I take the strips, and they are disgusting. I prefer the tabs, but they have a coupon out right now from the drug co. I kinda feel like it's a gimmick to get people on it because they've had the coupon out for about a year straight, and it can be used every month.

I have tried to get off it before because I have had to have surgery a couple times, but I have never been successful in doing so. In my opinion it is incredibly hard to get off of it, as I get very bad fatigue if I even cut a small portion of my dose (I take 8mg/day). I went thru a 2nd breast augmentation with only non-narcotic pain meds during and after surgery, and while the pain wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, I was still uncomfortable, even on a high dose of Valium as a muscle relaxer. I do want to try again someday to get off of it, but fatigue is the last thing I need right now.
    Like Cranberry, Gladheart liked this post

my question is...what do i tell psych if i wanted a 10-5mg hyrdo as opposed to subs..i'm scared about them. what do i tell them t say?

Gladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to beholdGladheart is a splendid one to behold

@ducheese
    I have never heard of a Psychiatrist prescribing painkillers. You must have a good relationship with your doctor. What type of pain issues are you having? Going on Suboxone and getting a few Vicodins seems like a big difference!
    Live Free or Die

@Gladheart you are exactly right, subs are much stronger than hydrocodone and are nothiing to fool around with. If your pain doc put you on subs that means you tolerance is probably too high for hydro or you pain is to serious. I do know some people that are prescribed bupe for pain but I believe now in most cases docs prescribe bupe for opoid dependency. It supposed to be abuse proof and all that jazz seeing as though it has a ceiling effect. Of course we all know nothing is abuse proof but like I said earlier if you have much of a opoid tolerance subs will not give you a euphoria or "high" , they will just keep you well. As far as for maintnence I feel methadone actually does work better for me but we all know the hardships and troubles associated with methadone. Once you are on it , its damn near impossible to get off.

@imnotcrazy I applaud you for sticking with your program and staying clean even through your surgery etc. it is not an easy thing to do

Buprenorphine is known mainly for treating opioid addiction in the States, true, but it was used for treating pain for a long time before this in many countries. It's been used for opioid addiction for around a decade in the US, whereas it's been used for at least 30 years for pain relief. Its use in chronic pain is growing now, and the Butrans patch (similar to Duragesic) is available in many countries, including the States. With increased research, it's become better understood, and as the many misconceptions about it are being swept aside, it's being used more and more. Also, it has an excellent safety profile compared to many other opioids.

I've been prescribed it for many years for chronic pain. When I first started taking it, they hadn't even started using it for opioid addiction. In fact, it was available for pain relief in the States a long time ago, as Buprenex (injectable).

It is safe to take with other opioids (I'm prescribed other mu agonists for breakthrough pain, and have never had a problem), as long as you know how to take it. It can cause problems if it's taken by someone already dependent on another opioid, as pointed out in another post. In analgesic doses, it acts as a full agonist and doesn't block the effects of other opioids or cause withdrawal.
    Helpful imnotcrazy, Gladheart Rated helpful

15. @Coheed: It was tough to go without the stronger post-op pain meds, but it was either that, or be in hell several weeks pre-op trying to taper off the Suboxone. I didn't know until recently that buprenorphine is such a strong medication, and had always wondered why it's so heavily regulated, and why I had a hard time finding a doctor who could prescribe it to me. I have also gotten it from a clinic before, but it was exhorbitantly expensive and, being uninsured at the time, I had to seek financial help from family members (some of whom were already fed up with me and my drama).

@Coheed: It was tough to go without the stronger post-op pain meds, but it was either that, or be in hell several weeks pre-op trying to taper off the Suboxone. I didn't know until recently that buprenorphine is such a strong medication, and had always wondered why it's so heavily regulated, and why I had a hard time finding a doctor who could prescribe it to me. I have also gotten it from a clinic before, but it was exhorbitantly expensive and, being uninsured at the time, I had to seek financial help from family members (some of whom were already fed up with me and my drama).

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 9 minutes after the last post:*

Oops, I think I hit "post" twice...

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 12 minutes after the last post:*

@Hugo: Great info--I had always heard and been told that mixing Suboxone with any full-agonist opiate will make you sick, and I got sick one time several years ago at an another time I was on Suboxone for opiate addiction, I found some Percs and decided to try to get high, and it didn't work--I got very, very sick. On the other hand, during an oral surgery about 3 years ago, I was prescribed Lortab 10s for post-op pain. I had gone 48 hrs without the Suboxone per my surgeon's recommendation, and after a day of taking the Lortab as prescribed (one every 4-6hrs PRN), and not feeling a thing (no pain relief, no buzz), and actually feeling withdrawal from the Suboxone despite the Lortab, I just resumed my 8mg/day dose of Suboxone with no problems--I didn't get sick, and actually felt a lot better because I was no longer in withdrawal. I suspected that was a good indicator that the Suboxone was more powerful than the Lortab. It is hard to say how much pain relief I got from the Suboxone (I wasn't in agony, nor was I 100% comfortable), but getting rid of the withdrawals helped.
    Last edited by imnotcrazy; 02-09-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Buprenorphine is a complex medication for many reasons. Mixed agonist/antagonist, has a ceiling dose level, is often mixed with naloxone, etc.
    However, when comparing its use as a painkiller to that of a "harm reduction" drug, the difference is pretty simple.
    Formulations like Buprenex (injectable) or Temgesic SL tablets are prescribed in sub-1mg doses such as 0.3mg or 0.2mg which can provide effective analgesic relief for many pain patients.
    When prescribed for addiction harm reduction, the dosages are dramatically higher with induction levels anywhere from 8mg to 32mg, which is the nominal ceiling dose.
    Thus, full agonist at ultra-low doses, partial agonist/antagonist at much higher doses.
    There is a very small but growing trend at pain management clinics toward initially treating chronic conditions with ultra-low dose bupe because of its safety profile and low risk of diversion. At that dosage level, additional breakthrough meds can be added to the mix without problems.
    Helpful betsky Rated helpful

17. Quote Originally Posted by alumni View Post
    Buprenorphine is a complex medication for many reasons. Mixed agonist/antagonist, has a ceiling dose level, is often mixed with naloxone, etc.
    However, when comparing its use as a painkiller to that of a "harm reduction" drug, the difference is pretty simple.
    Formulations like Buprenex (injectable) or Temgesic SL tablets are prescribed in sub-1mg doses such as 0.3mg or 0.2mg which can provide effective analgesic relief for many pain patients.
    When prescribed for addiction harm reduction, the dosages are dramatically higher with induction levels anywhere from 8mg to 32mg, which is the nominal ceiling dose.
    Thus, full agonist at ultra-low doses, partial agonist/antagonist at much higher doses.
    There is a very small but growing trend at pain management clinics toward initially treating chronic conditions with ultra-low dose bupe because of its safety profile and low risk of diversion. At that dosage level, additional breakthrough meds can be added to the mix without problems.
    Are you saying buprenorphine is a full-agonist when used as Buprenex and Temgesic, but only a partial agonist as Suboxone? Are there two different kinds of buprenorphine, then, or is it all in how the drug is formulated? I have limited experience w/Buprenex, as I was given injected (in the butt, if I remember correctly) doses of it 12 years ago when I first went to rehab for opiate addiction. I remember it gave me more of a buzz than Suboxone does for me today--not much of a buzz at all, just seems to improve my mood a bit; with the Buprenex it was more noticeable, more of a high, though not like I used to get from Lortab.

I have never gotten sick while taking subs plus another opoid but it is point less cuz with the sub I couldn't feel the other opoid, that is also the point of subs for opoid addiction maintenance. On the other hand mixing subs plus sat oxycodone for example could kill you especially if you keep taking more cuz you don't feel the "high" from the oxycodone. Buorenorphine is a very very strong opoid. I don't know why people take subs to try and get a buzz, they ruin it for all the people taking it for the right reason of trying to stay off heroin or any other opoid.

When I was living in Georgia it was very easy to find a sub doc but around here its very hard. I wish I could find a doc willing to prescribe me methadone although I know technically it is illegal to do so for maintenance but then at least my insurance would cover it. At my clinic they only take Medicare of course which I don't have.

Then again people like me ruined opoids for legitimate pain patients I can finally see that now and I am sorry for it.

@imnotcrazy I applaud you again for not taking opoids again when I'm sure you had the chance to get them scripted after a surgery, that takes alot of courage and you should be proud of yourself for that.
    Like betsky, imnotcrazy liked this post

betsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud ofbetsky has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by imnotcrazy View Post
    Are you saying buprenorphine is a full-agonist when used as Buprenex and Temgesic, but only a partial agonist as Suboxone? Are there two different kinds of buprenorphine, then, or is it all in how the drug is formulated? I have limited experience w/Buprenex, as I was given injected (in the butt, if I remember correctly) doses of it 12 years ago when I first went to rehab for opiate addiction. I remember it gave me more of a buzz than Suboxone does for me today--not much of a buzz at all, just seems to improve my mood a bit; with the Buprenex it was more noticeable, more of a high, though not like I used to get from Lortab.
    @Coheed
    burenorphine was originally given iv or im as bupronex. as such it was a viable pain med for mod. to severe pain, and then used as a harm reduction med because at higher dosages it was shown to "bump" the other narcotics off the opiate recepters in the brain.
    therfore it really isnt an advisable to attempt a "euphoria" with any of the meds containing bupe. also buprenorhine is known to have a slower dissasociation fromits receptor and that accounts for the longer acting duration preferred by PM drs.
    Helpful imnotcrazy Rated helpful
    laughter is the best medicine when done kindly

@betsky your %100 correct I'm not advising anyone to use bupe meds for euphoria actually quite the opposite. I was trying to deter people from doing that
    Helpful imnotcrazy Rated helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast